Iowa's Pitching Hits Roadblock in Round Rock
ROUND ROCK, TX - The Round Rock Express (54-39) took advantage of uneven Iowa Cubs (52-40) pitching as the home team secured a 5-2 victory, Friday at Dell Diamond.
Round Rock out-hit Iowa 10-6 and added 11 walks and three hit by pitches to generate its offense. The I-Cubs limited the damage by stranding 16 Express base runners, but their offense couldn't catch up.
The Express took the lead to stay in the second inning on a Chas McCormick RBI single and quickly doubled the edge in the third as a double steal allowed Jack Mayfield to cross home. Garrett Stubbs rounded out Round Rock's offensive effort with an RBI single in the fifth and a two-run blast in the seventh.
Iowa rallied in the ninth as Jim Adduci brought in a pair on a blast to center field. Zack Short and Trent Giambrone kept the game alive with two-out walks before Felipe Paulino induced a ground out to secure the one-out save.
Adbert Alzolay (L, 2-3) labored through the start as he tossed 90 pitches through 4.1 innings. The righty was able to limit the damage to three earned runs despite walking a career-high six batters, hitting two and serving up five hits. On the opposite hill, Rogelio Armenteros (W, 4-6) spun 6.0 shutout frames as he held Iowa to five hits and one walk while fanning seven.
- Donnie Dewees was 3-for-4 and fell a home run shy of the cycle.
- The pitching staff's 11 walks were one shy of a season high.
- Iowa went 0-for-7 with runners in scoring position.
Iowa and Round Rock play game three of the four-game set tomorrow at 6:05 p.m. at Dell Diamond. Follow the action on AM 940, TuneIn Radio or www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 12, 2019
- Iowa's Pitching Hits Roadblock in Round Rock - Iowa Cubs
- Missions Outlast Omaha in Friday Night Slugfest - San Antonio Missions
- Dodgers Stun Redbirds with Big Ninth Inning - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Express Quiet Cubs in 5-2 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Falter in Ninth Inning - Memphis Redbirds
- Sounds Falter Late, Lose to Baby Cakes - Nashville Sounds
- Noesi Delivers 'Cakes Their 50th Win of the Season - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Redbirds Announce Schedule Changes for Weekend - Memphis Redbirds
- Salt Lake Bees Begin 11 Game Homestand Monday - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (39-51) vs. New Orleans Baby Cakes (49-42) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions vs. Omaha Storm Chasers - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (36-55) vs Oklahoma City Dodgers (39-51) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 12, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aviators Return from All-Star Break, Crush Salt Lake 13-3 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aviators Fly Away with the Win - Salt Lake Bees
- Weeks Hits Two Homers in One Inning, Leads Topes to 9-8 Win - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Grizzlies begin post-break with an 8-5 loss at Sacramento - Fresno Grizzlies
- Aces' Bats Appear Well-Rested in Victory over Tacoma - Reno Aces
- River Cats open second half with win over Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Chihuahuas Nearly Rally from Nine-Run Hole - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Dodgers Return to Work with 8-6 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock's Late Surge Topples Iowa - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.