Rebels Fall Short in Preseason Contest Versus Visiting Tigers
Friday's WHL preseason contest at the Centrium looked like . . . a preseason game.
"I thought there was a lot of mistakes, especially in the first half of the game," said Red Deer Rebels GM/head coach Brent Sutter, following a 5-3 loss to the Medicine Hat Tigers in front of 1,350 fans.
The one positive for the Rebels was the veteran line of Arshdeep Bains, Chris Douglas and Zak Smith.
"They were a good line for us, our best line. It wasn't even close," said Sutter.
The Rebels boss wanted to see more from his younger players, many of whom performed at a higher level in the team's three earlier exhibition outings.
"The young guys need to learn to keep their focus," said Sutter. "There's no such thing as an easy game in this league. You can get away with stuff at other levels you played but you're not going to get with it here.
"You better be focused and prepared and ready to go. I didn't think some of our young guys played well enough for us early on and I thought there were a few veterans that weren't very good tonight either."
Veteran forward Ryan Chyzowski gave the visitors an early lead with his first of two goals on the night, tipping a point shot by Eric Van Impe past Rebels netminder Ethan Anders.
The Rebels battled back in short order, notching three consecutive goals in just under six minutes. Bains buried a rebound at 9:09 of the opening frame, Smith scored on a short-handed breakaway - slipping the puck through the pads of Tigers stopper Evan Fradette - at 11:32 and Josh Tarzwell went hard to the net and jammed the puck home at 14:55.
The Tigers roared back with two goals in 55 seconds, off the sticks of rookie Cole Sillinger and import Jonathan Brinkman Andersen, who fired home a puck that Anders kicked back into the low slot.
"Their third goal is a bad goal. That can't happen, it's a bad goal," said Sutter.
After the clubs combined for six goals in the opening frame, the scoring pretty much dried up with the exception of Cole Clayton's eventual power-play winner at 5:21 of the second period - off a wrist shot from the right circle - and Chyzowski's empty-net marker with one minute remaining in the game.
"You don't get points at this time of the year, but what I want to make sure this group understands is that there has to be preparation and focus every day and every game," said Sutter.
"Tonight we had guys in the first half of the game who weren't as dialled in as we need them to be."
Anders made 26 saves while Fradette turned aside 21 shots.
Medicine Hat was one-for-six on the power play. Red Deer was zero-for-two with a man advantage.
The Rebels conclude their preseason schedule Sunday when they visit the Calgary Hitmen.
Red Deer's regular-season opener is Sept. 21 versus the visiting Edmonton Oil Kings.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 14, 2019
- Oil Kings Complete Pre-Season Sweep with Win over Cougars - Edmonton Oil Kings
- 20-Year-Old Jadon Joseph Headed to Moose Jaw - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Costly Penalties Result in 3-1 Loss for Americans - Tri-City Americans
- Blades Round out Pre-Season with 6-2 Win over ICE - Saskatoon Blades
- Tigers Fall Short in Taber - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Raiders End Pre-Season with Win over Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
- Broncos Cap off Pre-Season with 2-1 Win over Lethbridge - Swift Current Broncos
- ICE Conclude 2019 Pre-Season Schedule with Loss to Saskatoon - Winnipeg Ice
- Hitmen Earn Preseason Win - Calgary Hitmen
- Pats Downed in Preseason Finale - Regina Pats
- Warriors Take Final Pre-Season Game 2-1 - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Oil Kings Edge Cougars in OT - Prince George Cougars
- Pats Announce Leadership Group for 2019-20 Season - Regina Pats
- Giants Trade Overage Forward Jadon Joseph to Moose Jaw - Vancouver Giants
- Pre Game Report: Winnipeg ICE Close out Pre-Season Schedule with Rematch against Blades - Winnipeg Ice
- Your Team Could be the Next MNP MVT - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Beat Warriors Friday; Host Moose Jaw Tonight - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Blades Jump out to Early Lead, Hang on for 4-3 Victory over ICE - Winnipeg Ice
- Blades Edge ICE 4-3 in Game 4 of Pre-Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Rebels Fall Short in Preseason Contest Versus Visiting Tigers - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets falter in Kamloops - Kelowna Rockets
- O'Rourke's OT Winner Lifts Broncos over Hurricanes - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Close Home Pre-season Slate with 3-2 Shootout Loss - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Red Deer Rebels Stories
- Western Hockey League Announces Opening Date for 2020-21 Regular Season
- Sutter Disappointed for Sedoff, King After Both Passed over in NHL Draft
- Rebels Veteran Douglas Working on Improving His Offensive Game During Extended Off-Season
- Red Deer World Juniors Postponed
- Season Ticket Deadline Extended