Oil Kings Complete Pre-Season Sweep with Win over Cougars
Riley Sawchuk tallied his ninth point in four pre-season games and Jake Neighbours potted the game winner just 36 seconds into overtime as the Oil Kings defeated the Prince George Cougars, 2-1, at the Encana Events Centre in Dawson Creek, BC on Saturday.
The win capped off the Oil Kings 2019-20 exhibition schedule, which saw the team go 5-0-0-0 with a pair of wins over the Cougars and Calgary Hitmen, and one against the Red Deer Rebels.
There was one goal a period Saturday between Edmonton and Prince George, with all three markers coming on the man advantage - and Prince George's lone tally coming via a penalty shot.
Sawchuk gave the Oil Kings a 1-0 advantage with his fourth of the pre-season, from Parker Gavlas and Carter Souch at 7:47 of the first period.
The second period largely remained scoreless until a last minute penalty was called against Edmonton with 8.1 seconds remaining and the Cougars were awarded a penalty shot. Jackson Leppard made it a 1-1 game, which rounded out action in the second period.
The Cougars would outshoot the Oil Kings, 17-11, after the first period and 29-23 after 40 minutes.
Despite pushing late in the third with a man advantage in the last minute of play, the Oil Kings headed to overtime against the Cougars tied 1-1.
That late penalty would prove to be the difference maker, however, as Neighbours buried his third of the pre-season, from Dawson Creek native Wyatt McLeod and Sawchuk, just 36 seconds into the extra frame.
The Oil Kings open the WHL's regular season on Saturday, September 21 when they travel to Red Deer to take on the Rebels for a 7:00 PM MT start. They open their home schedule the next day on Sunday, September 22 when they host the Rebels at Rogers Place at 4:00 PM.
EOK365 Season Seat Memberships, Five-Star Plans, Flex Packs and single game tickets for the Edmonton Oil Kings 2019-20 regular season are on sale now. Ticket packages start at just $99 per seat, and single game tickets are as low as $20! Call 780-414-GOAL (4625), email [email protected] or visit OilKings.ca for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 14, 2019
- Oil Kings Complete Pre-Season Sweep with Win over Cougars - Edmonton Oil Kings
- 20-Year-Old Jadon Joseph Headed to Moose Jaw - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Costly Penalties Result in 3-1 Loss for Americans - Tri-City Americans
- Blades Round out Pre-Season with 6-2 Win over ICE - Saskatoon Blades
- Tigers Fall Short in Taber - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Raiders End Pre-Season with Win over Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
- Broncos Cap off Pre-Season with 2-1 Win over Lethbridge - Swift Current Broncos
- ICE Conclude 2019 Pre-Season Schedule with Loss to Saskatoon - Winnipeg Ice
- Hitmen Earn Preseason Win - Calgary Hitmen
- Pats Downed in Preseason Finale - Regina Pats
- Warriors Take Final Pre-Season Game 2-1 - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Oil Kings Edge Cougars in OT - Prince George Cougars
- Pats Announce Leadership Group for 2019-20 Season - Regina Pats
- Giants Trade Overage Forward Jadon Joseph to Moose Jaw - Vancouver Giants
- Pre Game Report: Winnipeg ICE Close out Pre-Season Schedule with Rematch against Blades - Winnipeg Ice
- Your Team Could be the Next MNP MVT - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Beat Warriors Friday; Host Moose Jaw Tonight - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Blades Jump out to Early Lead, Hang on for 4-3 Victory over ICE - Winnipeg Ice
- Blades Edge ICE 4-3 in Game 4 of Pre-Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Rebels Fall Short in Preseason Contest Versus Visiting Tigers - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets falter in Kamloops - Kelowna Rockets
- O'Rourke's OT Winner Lifts Broncos over Hurricanes - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Close Home Pre-season Slate with 3-2 Shootout Loss - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Oil Kings Stories
- Neighbours Drafted 26th Overall by St. Louis Blues
- St. Louis Blues Select Jake Neighbours 26th Overall in the 2020 NHL Draft
- Edmonton to Host Back-To-Back World Juniors
- Oil Kings Acquire Draft Picks from Everett
- Svanenbergs Signs Standard Players Agreement with Oil Kings