Oil Kings Edge Cougars in OT
DAWSON CREEK, BC- The Prince George Cougars fell to the Edmonton Oil Kings 2-1 in overtime at the Encana Events Centre in Dawson Creek, B.C. on Saturday afternoon.
Jake Neighbours scored a power-play goal 36-seconds into overtime for the Oil Kings to break a 1-1 deadlock through 60-minutes. Riley Sawchuk also scored on the power-play for Edmonton in the first period. The Oil Kings scored six power-play goals in two games against Prince George over the weekend.
Dylan Myskiw and Sebastian Cossa split time in the Oil Kings' crease. Myskew stopped 28 of 29 shots through 40-minutes. Cosaa turned aside 12 shots in just over 20-minutes of work.
Jackson Leppard scored the Cougars' only goal, on a penalty-shot no less, in the dying moments of the second period. With just eight-seconds left on the clock, Leppard slowly moved in and outwaited the Edmonton netminder long enough to sneak the puck through his legs.
Taylor Gauthier made his first and only start of pre-season and went the distance, stopping 37 of 39 shots. Gauthier made several quality saves but none better Saturday afternoon was his glove save on the Oil King's Vladimir Alistrov in the first period.
The Cougars finished the pre-season with an 0-4-1-0 record and now prepare for the start of the 2019-2020 Western Hockey League regular season. The Cougars' home opener is slated for Friday, September 20th at 7:00 pm against the Vancouver Giants. Tickets are on sale at the TicketsNorth by Treasure Cove Casino box office, or online at www.ticketsnorth.ca
Oil Kings [1-0] Riley Sawchuk from Park Gavlas and Carter Souch (power-play) 7:47
Cougars [1-1] Jackson Leppard (penalty-shot) 19:52
Oil Kings [2-1] Jake Neighbours from Wyatt McLeod and Riley Sawchuk (power-play) :36
Oil Kings- 2/6
Oil Kings- 39
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 14, 2019
- Oil Kings Complete Pre-Season Sweep with Win over Cougars - Edmonton Oil Kings
- 20-Year-Old Jadon Joseph Headed to Moose Jaw - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Costly Penalties Result in 3-1 Loss for Americans - Tri-City Americans
- Blades Round out Pre-Season with 6-2 Win over ICE - Saskatoon Blades
- Tigers Fall Short in Taber - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Raiders End Pre-Season with Win over Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
- Broncos Cap off Pre-Season with 2-1 Win over Lethbridge - Swift Current Broncos
- ICE Conclude 2019 Pre-Season Schedule with Loss to Saskatoon - Winnipeg Ice
- Hitmen Earn Preseason Win - Calgary Hitmen
- Pats Downed in Preseason Finale - Regina Pats
- Warriors Take Final Pre-Season Game 2-1 - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Oil Kings Edge Cougars in OT - Prince George Cougars
- Pats Announce Leadership Group for 2019-20 Season - Regina Pats
- Giants Trade Overage Forward Jadon Joseph to Moose Jaw - Vancouver Giants
- Pre Game Report: Winnipeg ICE Close out Pre-Season Schedule with Rematch against Blades - Winnipeg Ice
- Your Team Could be the Next MNP MVT - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Beat Warriors Friday; Host Moose Jaw Tonight - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Blades Jump out to Early Lead, Hang on for 4-3 Victory over ICE - Winnipeg Ice
- Blades Edge ICE 4-3 in Game 4 of Pre-Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Rebels Fall Short in Preseason Contest Versus Visiting Tigers - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets falter in Kamloops - Kelowna Rockets
- O'Rourke's OT Winner Lifts Broncos over Hurricanes - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Close Home Pre-season Slate with 3-2 Shootout Loss - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.