Raiders End Pre-Season with Win over Pats
Prince Albert, SK - Cole Fonstad had two goals and two assists as the Prince Albert Raiders (4-1-0-0) closed out the WHL Pre-season with a 5-2 win over the Regina Pats (2-3-0-2) on Saturday night at the Art Hauser Centre.
Max Martin also had a four-point game with a goal and three assists. Ozzy Wiesblatt chipped in a goal and an assist.
The Pats opened the scoring 3:26 into the contest. Makai Mitchell's point shot hit a Raiders defenceman in front of the goal and got past Boston Bilous to make it 1-0.
Midway through the frame, the Raiders tied it up on the power play. Fonstad found Ilya Usau with a cross-ice pass and the rookie one-timed his shot past Max Paddock for his second of the exhibition schedule.
In the second, Wiesblatt put the Raiders ahead with his sixth of the pre-season. Stationed in front of the goal, the Calgary product tipped Fonstad's shot past Paddock to give the Raiders the 2-1 advantage.
Just before the end of the period, the Pats tied the game. Robbie Holmes stripped the puck and found himself on a shorthanded breakaway. The overager from Sherwood Park, AB made a move to his backhand and slipped the puck through Bilous to level the score with 16 seconds remaining in the period.
The Raiders took control of the game in the third. At the 2:44 mark of the final period, Martin's shot from the point got through traffic and beat Paddock to put the Raiders ahead 3-2.
Then with 2:52 to play, Fonstad iced the game with his first of the night. He got the puck in the corner off a Max Martin shot, cut to the net and slid the puck through Paddock's five-hole to make it a 4-2 game. Fonstad also hit the empty net with 32 seconds remaining.
Bilous earned his third win of the WHL Pre-season, stopping 32 shots on the night. Paddock stopped 22 shots for the Pats in the loss.
Up next for the Raiders is the 2019-20 Home Opener Presented by 900 CKBI and Great Western Brewery on Friday night against the Saskatoon Blades. Be in your seats for 6:55 p.m. for the evening's opening ceremonies. Single-game tickets are now available for purchase. Pick up your tickets at the Raiders Office and at raiderhockey.com.
Raiders WHL Pre-season leaders:
Goals - Ozzy Wiesblatt, 6
Assists - Justin Nachbaur & Ilya Usau, 4
Points - Ozzy Wiesblatt, 7
Plus-Minus - Evan Herman, +7
Penalty Minutes - Kaiden Guhle, 8
Power-Play Goals - Ozzy Wiesblatt - 3
Shorthanded Goals - Evan Herman & Ozzy Wiesblatt, 1
Game-Winning Goals - Evan Herman, Max Martin, & Ozzy Wiesblatt, 1
Goals-Against Average - Boston Bilous, 1.91
Save Percentage - Boston Bilous & Carter Serhyenko, 0.933
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 14, 2019
- Oil Kings Complete Pre-Season Sweep with Win over Cougars - Edmonton Oil Kings
- 20-Year-Old Jadon Joseph Headed to Moose Jaw - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Costly Penalties Result in 3-1 Loss for Americans - Tri-City Americans
- Blades Round out Pre-Season with 6-2 Win over ICE - Saskatoon Blades
- Tigers Fall Short in Taber - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Raiders End Pre-Season with Win over Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
- Broncos Cap off Pre-Season with 2-1 Win over Lethbridge - Swift Current Broncos
- ICE Conclude 2019 Pre-Season Schedule with Loss to Saskatoon - Winnipeg Ice
- Hitmen Earn Preseason Win - Calgary Hitmen
- Pats Downed in Preseason Finale - Regina Pats
- Warriors Take Final Pre-Season Game 2-1 - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Oil Kings Edge Cougars in OT - Prince George Cougars
- Pats Announce Leadership Group for 2019-20 Season - Regina Pats
- Giants Trade Overage Forward Jadon Joseph to Moose Jaw - Vancouver Giants
- Pre Game Report: Winnipeg ICE Close out Pre-Season Schedule with Rematch against Blades - Winnipeg Ice
- Your Team Could be the Next MNP MVT - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Beat Warriors Friday; Host Moose Jaw Tonight - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Blades Jump out to Early Lead, Hang on for 4-3 Victory over ICE - Winnipeg Ice
- Blades Edge ICE 4-3 in Game 4 of Pre-Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Rebels Fall Short in Preseason Contest Versus Visiting Tigers - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets falter in Kamloops - Kelowna Rockets
- O'Rourke's OT Winner Lifts Broncos over Hurricanes - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Close Home Pre-season Slate with 3-2 Shootout Loss - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Prince Albert Raiders Stories
- Three Raiders, One Prospect Make NHL Central Scouting's Preliminary Players to Watch List
- Guhle Signs Entry-Level Contract with Canadiens
- Wiesblatt Signs Entry-Level Contract with Sharks
- Guhle, Wiesblatt Selected in First Round of 2020 NHL Draft
- Raiders Alumnus Draisaitl Wins Hart Memorial Trophy, Ted Lindsay Award at 2020 NHL Awards