Blades Edge ICE 4-3 in Game 4 of Pre-Season
The Blades have emerged victorious after their first encounter of any kind with the ICE since their move from Kootenay to Winnipeg. Saskatoon took the Pre-Season meeting 4-3 on Friday night at Sasktel Centre.
The first period saw the Blades get out in front early courtesy of a power-play goal. Colton Dach scored his third goal of the Pre-Season as Kyle Crnkovic's cross-crease pass made things easy for Dach, deflecting the puck into a wide-open net to start the scoring. Just over a minute later the Blades made quick work of their second man advantage as Scott Walford got the puck off the face-off and walked the blueline before firing home his first goal of the pre-season to double Saskatoon's lead to two. The Bridge City Bunch then made their lead three as Dach put home his second of the game on a shot from right in front of the net.
The ICE responded in the second period. Just over two minutes into the frame Cole Muir was able to beat Nolan Maier off a rebound and pull the Winnipeg within two. Five minutes later the ICE added another one, this time on a power-play of their own as former Blade Reece Harsch beat Maier through a screen from the point, making it a one goal game. Saskatoon got one back before the end of the period as Crnkovic found Blades' 2019 1st Round pick Brandon Lisowsky for his first goal of the Pre-Season. Lisowsky's goal would eventually prove to be the game-winning-goal.
Saskatoon jumped out of the gates for the third period, outshooting the ICE 8-1 in the first ten minutes. The Blades tightened their defensive play further as the ICE only had the one shot on net for the period up until the 14-minute-mark. With the period looking as if it were going to end scoreless, the ICE pulled their netminder and capitalized - bringing them within one goal with a minute left in regulation. Their rally came too late however, as the Blades held on for their third victory of the 2019 Pre-Season Campaign.
Maier was his dependable self in net, blocking 31 of 34 shots he faced for a .912 save percentage.
Kyle Crnkovic's two point (2A) night brings his 2019 Pre-Season Point total up to 7 (3G-4A). Colton Dach's 2 goal evening brings his point tally for the Pre-Season to 5 (4G-1A), while Scott Walford earned his first two points (1G-1A) of any kind while wearing the Blue & Gold.
The ICE & Blades will do battle again immediately on Saturday, September 14th, at SaskTel Centre with puck drop at 7:00pm.
With the Winnipeg Ice joining the East Division of the WHL, they will square off against the Blades six times across the 2019-20 Regular Season.
Come see Paul "BizNasty" Bissonnette, Kelly Taylor and Wendel Clark host a VIP panel while tailgating for the 2019-20 Home Opener against the Prince Albert Raiders.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 14, 2019
- Oil Kings Complete Pre-Season Sweep with Win over Cougars - Edmonton Oil Kings
- 20-Year-Old Jadon Joseph Headed to Moose Jaw - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Costly Penalties Result in 3-1 Loss for Americans - Tri-City Americans
- Blades Round out Pre-Season with 6-2 Win over ICE - Saskatoon Blades
- Tigers Fall Short in Taber - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Raiders End Pre-Season with Win over Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
- Broncos Cap off Pre-Season with 2-1 Win over Lethbridge - Swift Current Broncos
- ICE Conclude 2019 Pre-Season Schedule with Loss to Saskatoon - Winnipeg Ice
- Hitmen Earn Preseason Win - Calgary Hitmen
- Pats Downed in Preseason Finale - Regina Pats
- Warriors Take Final Pre-Season Game 2-1 - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Oil Kings Edge Cougars in OT - Prince George Cougars
- Pats Announce Leadership Group for 2019-20 Season - Regina Pats
- Giants Trade Overage Forward Jadon Joseph to Moose Jaw - Vancouver Giants
- Pre Game Report: Winnipeg ICE Close out Pre-Season Schedule with Rematch against Blades - Winnipeg Ice
- Your Team Could be the Next MNP MVT - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Beat Warriors Friday; Host Moose Jaw Tonight - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Blades Jump out to Early Lead, Hang on for 4-3 Victory over ICE - Winnipeg Ice
- Blades Edge ICE 4-3 in Game 4 of Pre-Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Rebels Fall Short in Preseason Contest Versus Visiting Tigers - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets falter in Kamloops - Kelowna Rockets
- O'Rourke's OT Winner Lifts Broncos over Hurricanes - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Close Home Pre-season Slate with 3-2 Shootout Loss - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saskatoon Blades Stories
- Dach Among 36 WHL Players Named to NHL Central Scouting 'Players to Watch' List for January
- The Frozen Pond Moving out of Midtown Mall this Week
- Government of Saskatchewan Announces New Funding to Support Junior Hockey
- Love, Dietrich Awarded Silver Medals at 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship
- Robins Skating in First NHL Training Camp, Among Numerous Alumni