O'Rourke's OT Winner Lifts Broncos over Hurricanes
LETHBRIDGE, AB - The Swift Current Broncos improved to 4-0-0-1 in the pre-season after a 4-3 overtime win in Lethbridge against the Hurricanes Friday night.
Aiden Bulych opened up the scoring on the power play, jumping on a loose puck in the crease after Carter Chorney was stopped in tight by Bryan Thompson.
Zach Cox extended the Broncos lead to 2-0 after taking a bullet pass from Connor Horning, skating in on a breakaway and beating Thomson over the glove to give the Broncos a 2-0 lead through 20 minutes.
Lethbridge answered back in the second as Dino Kambeitz capitalized on his second opportunity off the rush to cut the Broncos lead to 2-1.
Tyler Smithies would restore the Broncos lead late in the period, finding a loose puck and backhanding it past Thomson just as a power play had come to an end. Swift Current lead 3-1 through two periods, but trailed 28-16 on the shot clock.
Swift Current ran into penalty trouble in the third, giving up back to back power-play goals to Rylan Thiessen and Kambeitz just four minutes apart.
The Broncos took four penalties in the third period, but survived the final two as the game went to overtime. It was the third overtime game for the Broncos through five pre-season games.
In the extra frame, Ethan O'Rourke took a pass from Alex Moar who was below the goal line, and O'Rourke was able to walk down the slot before firing a wrist shot under the glove of Thomson to seal the victory for the Broncos.
Swift Current now returns home to wrap up their pre-season schedule when they host those same Hurricanes at the Innovation Credit Union iPlex at 7:00 on Saturday.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 14, 2019
- Oil Kings Complete Pre-Season Sweep with Win over Cougars - Edmonton Oil Kings
- 20-Year-Old Jadon Joseph Headed to Moose Jaw - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Costly Penalties Result in 3-1 Loss for Americans - Tri-City Americans
- Blades Round out Pre-Season with 6-2 Win over ICE - Saskatoon Blades
- Tigers Fall Short in Taber - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Raiders End Pre-Season with Win over Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
- Broncos Cap off Pre-Season with 2-1 Win over Lethbridge - Swift Current Broncos
- ICE Conclude 2019 Pre-Season Schedule with Loss to Saskatoon - Winnipeg Ice
- Hitmen Earn Preseason Win - Calgary Hitmen
- Pats Downed in Preseason Finale - Regina Pats
- Warriors Take Final Pre-Season Game 2-1 - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Oil Kings Edge Cougars in OT - Prince George Cougars
- Pats Announce Leadership Group for 2019-20 Season - Regina Pats
- Giants Trade Overage Forward Jadon Joseph to Moose Jaw - Vancouver Giants
- Pre Game Report: Winnipeg ICE Close out Pre-Season Schedule with Rematch against Blades - Winnipeg Ice
- Your Team Could be the Next MNP MVT - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Beat Warriors Friday; Host Moose Jaw Tonight - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Blades Jump out to Early Lead, Hang on for 4-3 Victory over ICE - Winnipeg Ice
- Blades Edge ICE 4-3 in Game 4 of Pre-Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Rebels Fall Short in Preseason Contest Versus Visiting Tigers - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets falter in Kamloops - Kelowna Rockets
- O'Rourke's OT Winner Lifts Broncos over Hurricanes - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Close Home Pre-season Slate with 3-2 Shootout Loss - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Swift Current Broncos Stories
- Prospect Profile: Sam Court
- Season Ticket Payment Deadline Extended to November 10th 2020
- Broncos Announce Fundraising Efforts to Support Colby Cave Memorial Fund
- Swift Current Broncos Annual General Meeting Details
- Swift Current Broncos Announce Annual General Meeting Details