Wheat Kings Beat Warriors Friday; Host Moose Jaw Tonight
Moose Jaw, SK. - The Brandon Wheat Kings will be looking to complete a pre-season home and home series sweep of the Moose Jaw Warriors Saturday night when the two teams tangle at Westoba Place.
The Wheat Kings, who split last weekend's 2-game series with Winnipeg, scored three second period goals on Friday in beating the hometown Warriors 5-2.
Ridly Greig scored twice and set up two others for the Wheat Kings, who improved to 2-1-0 in pre-season play.
Braden Schneider, Jake Chiasson and Lynden McCallum rounded out the scoring for the Wheat Kings, who led 1-0 and 4-1 at the period breaks.
Netminder Ethan Kruger turned aside 23 shots to post the win.
Brandon coach Dave Lowry says the line of Greig, Chiasson and Cole Reinhart were dangerous all game.
"He was good from start to finish," Lowry said of Greig when speaking to the Brandon Sun after the game. "He was invested in the game tonight. It's easy to say it's pre-season but their line really controlled the play most shifts."
While the Wheat Kings were called upon to kill off five penalties, Lowry says overall it was a good effort by his young squad.
"I?really liked the way we started the game," Lowry told the Sun. "I thought that everything we talked about as a group, we implemented. We wanted to make sure we were skating, and make sure that we were playing intelligent hockey when we didn't have the puck. I really thought our guys paid a lot of attention to detail."
Saturday's game is a 7:30pm start and tickets to both this game as well as next Friday's Home Opener are on sale at the Keystone Centre box office, by calling (204) 726-3555 or online at keystonecentre.com 2019-20 Season Tickets are also available by calling the Wheat Kings at (204) 726-3535.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 14, 2019
- Oil Kings Complete Pre-Season Sweep with Win over Cougars - Edmonton Oil Kings
- 20-Year-Old Jadon Joseph Headed to Moose Jaw - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Costly Penalties Result in 3-1 Loss for Americans - Tri-City Americans
- Blades Round out Pre-Season with 6-2 Win over ICE - Saskatoon Blades
- Tigers Fall Short in Taber - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Raiders End Pre-Season with Win over Pats - Prince Albert Raiders
- Broncos Cap off Pre-Season with 2-1 Win over Lethbridge - Swift Current Broncos
- ICE Conclude 2019 Pre-Season Schedule with Loss to Saskatoon - Winnipeg Ice
- Hitmen Earn Preseason Win - Calgary Hitmen
- Pats Downed in Preseason Finale - Regina Pats
- Warriors Take Final Pre-Season Game 2-1 - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Oil Kings Edge Cougars in OT - Prince George Cougars
- Pats Announce Leadership Group for 2019-20 Season - Regina Pats
- Giants Trade Overage Forward Jadon Joseph to Moose Jaw - Vancouver Giants
- Pre Game Report: Winnipeg ICE Close out Pre-Season Schedule with Rematch against Blades - Winnipeg Ice
- Your Team Could be the Next MNP MVT - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Beat Warriors Friday; Host Moose Jaw Tonight - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Blades Jump out to Early Lead, Hang on for 4-3 Victory over ICE - Winnipeg Ice
- Blades Edge ICE 4-3 in Game 4 of Pre-Season - Saskatoon Blades
- Rebels Fall Short in Preseason Contest Versus Visiting Tigers - Red Deer Rebels
- Rockets falter in Kamloops - Kelowna Rockets
- O'Rourke's OT Winner Lifts Broncos over Hurricanes - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats Close Home Pre-season Slate with 3-2 Shootout Loss - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.