P-Bruins Win Eighth Straight Game, Top Hartford Wolf Pack, 3-2
HARTFORD, CT. - Brendan Gaunce scored the game-winning goal, extending his point streak to nine games, and Jack Studnicka recorded two points as the Providence Bruins defeated the Hartford Wolf Pack, 3-2, on Sunday afternoon. With the victory, Providence has now won eight consecutive games.
Max Lagace got the start in goal for Providence, recording 21 saves in his 21st win of the season, which ranks second in the AHL.
1st 2nd 3rd Final
PROVIDENCE 2 0 1 3
HARTFORD 0 2 0 2
JAY LEACH, HEAD COACH
"The first period was an excellent period for us - probably our best of the weekend. We got pucks deep, skated, and made plays to get up 2-0.
"Obviously they came back on us to make it 2-2 to turn it into quite a game. Our power play was able to cash in in the third and we were able to hold on with some big saves from Max (Lagace) down the stretch."
BRENDAN GAUNCE - ONE GOAL
"I think the goal was big, especially at that time. They made a push in the second period and we wanted to make a statement in whatever way we could. I think for two periods we showed that our skating causes problems for a lot of teams. Even against the best teams, if we play the way that we've been playing, it's a hard game for them and we're tough to play against.
"You don't always control the game for 60 minutes, but we find a way to win and that's what we've been doing for a while now. It's a big time of the year to have that happening."
- Brendan Gaunce scored the game-winning goal, his 17th of the season, and extended his point streak to nine games.
- Oskar Steen scored his first shorthanded goal of the season and finished the weekend with three points (1G, 2A) in two games.
- Jack Studnicka scored a goal and added an assist. He recorded four points (2G, 2A) in two games this weekend to extend his point streak to three games. Over the past 12 games, he has notched 16 points (8G, 8A).
- Trent Frederic recorded his 24th assist, which is tied with Studnicka for the team lead. Frederic has five helpers in his last five games.
- Peter Cehlarik extended his point streak to three games with an assist. He has six points (3G, 3A) in his last five games.
- The P-Bruins will return home to Providence, Rhode Island and take on the Springfield Thunderbirds on Friday, March 6 at Dunkin' Donuts Center. Puck drop is set for 7:05 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 1, 2020
- Gibson makes 27 saves despite setback to Binghamton - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Miska Shines in Colorado's 3-1 Win over Milwaukee - Colorado Eagles
- Moose Rule in Overtime Again - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Fall to Colorado - Milwaukee Admirals
- Geekie's Hat Trick Helps Checkers Blow out Bears 6-3 - Charlotte Checkers
- Bears Doubled by Checkers 6-3 - Hershey Bears
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Stolarz and Hakanpaa - San Diego Gulls
- McIntyre, Devils Shut down Sound Tigers, 1-0 - Binghamton Devils
- Husso Blanks IceHogs for Fifth Straight Rampage Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Power Play Goal Downs Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Win Eighth Straight Game, Top Hartford Wolf Pack, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Dealt Another Overtime Loss - Chicago Wolves
- Tampa Bay Recalls Mike Condon from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Henry, Anderson Recalled from ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Phantoms Get Joel Farabee Back from Philadelphia - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Moose Sign Goaltender Jason Kasdorf - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Stars Recall Forward Justin Dowling from Texas - Texas Stars
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- Greg Chase recalled from Maine, Jake Elmer reassigned to Mariners - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game 54 Preview: Tucson at Bakersfield - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Score Late, Win in Shootout - Ontario Reign
- Rocket Put Together Convincing 5-2 Win against Comets - Laval Rocket
- Condors Clipped Late in Shootout Loss, 2-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Kahkonen Shines in Iowa's 2-0 Win against Stockton - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Set Franchise Record with 12th Consecutive Win
- P-Bruins Tie Franchise Record, Beat Hershey Bears, 3-2, in Shootout
- P-Bruins Win 10th Straight Game, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 4-2
- P-Bruins Extend Win Streak to Nine Games, Top Springfield Thunderbirds, 2-1, in Overtime
- P-Bruins Win Eighth Straight Game, Top Hartford Wolf Pack, 3-2