Geekie's Hat Trick Helps Checkers Blow out Bears 6-3
HERSHEY, PA - The Checkers wrapped up their busy weekend with a decisive win over the Atlantic's top team, beating down the Bears 6-3.
The Charlotte bench has an array of new faces on it, but it was the familiar ones that carried things in Sunday's matchup. Morgan Geekie's relentless play in front of the net propelled him to his first career hat trick, picking up an assist along the way to emerge with a mammoth four-point game, while Stelio Mattheos accounted for a pair of strikes himself to nab his first career multi-goal game.
Then there was Steven Lorentz, who pulled off a highlight-reel goal that stood as the game-winner, and Jake Bean, who picked up three helpers and a franchise record-tying plus-five rating on the blue line.
In his first start with his new club, Keith Kinkaid stood tall between the pipes. The veteran netminder kept the high-powered Bears at bay with 28 saves on the night, including helping shut down all three power plays Hershey was awarded.
Things started with a bang as the two sides combined for three goals in the first 3:27 of play, with the Checkers emerging with a lead. The visitors tacked on two more in the middle frame to widen the gap, but the first-place Bears came back to life with consecutive tallies that narrowed Charlotte's lead to one early in the third period.
But back-to-back goals less than a minute apart by the Checkers proved to be Hershey's back breaker, and the visitors departed with both points in the standings.
Morgan Geekie notched his first career hat trick and the second by a Checker this season ... Geekie set a new career high with his 20th, 21st and 22nd goals ... Keith Kinkaid made his Checkers debut and earned his first win at any level since Jan. 4 ... Stelio Mattheos scored his first goal of the season and recorded his first career multi-goal game ... Jake Bean matched his career high with three assists, also matching the most by a Checker in one game this season ... Bean's +5 rating ties the franchise single-game record set in 2011-12 ... Alexis D'Aoust recorded an assist in his Checkers debut ... Mark Cooper notched two assists for his second career multi-point game and first of the season ... Cavan Fitzgerald matched his career high with two assists ... The Checkers were not awarded a power play for the second time this season ... The Checkers have not allowed a power-play goal in four straight games ... The Checkers notched two wins during their three-in-three road trip .. Fitzgerald and Terry Broadhurst both picked up assists in the second straight game ... Brian Gibbons, Colin Markison and Joey Keane missed the game due to injury ... Boston Leier was a healthy extra
The Checkers now return to Charlotte for a six-game home stand that kicks off Friday against Utica.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 1, 2020
- Gibson makes 27 saves despite setback to Binghamton - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Miska Shines in Colorado's 3-1 Win over Milwaukee - Colorado Eagles
- Moose Rule in Overtime Again - Manitoba Moose
- Admirals Fall to Colorado - Milwaukee Admirals
- Geekie's Hat Trick Helps Checkers Blow out Bears 6-3 - Charlotte Checkers
- Bears Doubled by Checkers 6-3 - Hershey Bears
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Stolarz and Hakanpaa - San Diego Gulls
- McIntyre, Devils Shut down Sound Tigers, 1-0 - Binghamton Devils
- Husso Blanks IceHogs for Fifth Straight Rampage Win - San Antonio Rampage
- Power Play Goal Downs Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- P-Bruins Win Eighth Straight Game, Top Hartford Wolf Pack, 3-2 - Providence Bruins
- Wolves Dealt Another Overtime Loss - Chicago Wolves
- Tampa Bay Recalls Mike Condon from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Henry, Anderson Recalled from ECHL's Utah Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Phantoms Get Joel Farabee Back from Philadelphia - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Moose Sign Goaltender Jason Kasdorf - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Stars Recall Forward Justin Dowling from Texas - Texas Stars
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- Greg Chase recalled from Maine, Jake Elmer reassigned to Mariners - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game 54 Preview: Tucson at Bakersfield - Tucson Roadrunners
- Reign Score Late, Win in Shootout - Ontario Reign
- Rocket Put Together Convincing 5-2 Win against Comets - Laval Rocket
- Condors Clipped Late in Shootout Loss, 2-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Kahkonen Shines in Iowa's 2-0 Win against Stockton - Iowa Wild
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.