P-Bruins Fall 3-2 to Checkers
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins fell to the Charlotte Checkers 3-2 Saturday night in their 6th meeting of the season. The P-Bruins got their goals from Paul Carey and Jakub Zboril while Dan Vladar made his 22nd start of the season in net.
The Providence Bruins started off the 1st period moving slow defensively. The Charlotte Checkers took advantage of that and lit the lamp first. Zach Nastasluk tallied their first goal and his fourth of the season at 15:28, The assists on the play were Janne Kukkanen and Morgan Geekie as the Checkers took a 1-0 lead into the 2nd.
The P-Bruins tried to regain control at the start of the second period, but were unsuccessful. The Checkers Patrick Brown netted their second goal of the game only a minute in, with helpers from Dan Renouf and Martin Necas. With tensions high Providence continued to push forward but couldn't break through Charlotte's defense. The Checkers Julien Gauthier potted their third goal of the game at 7:40, assisted by Renouf taking a 3-0 lead into the 2nd intermission.
The Providence Bruins started the third period ready to make a comeback. At 3:18 Paul Carey tallied their first goal, assisted by Chris Breen and Ryan Fitzgerald. Only a minute later Jakub Zboril netted the second with a helper from Gemel Smith. During the last few seconds of the game the P-Bruins pulled Vladar from the net to add a forward advantage, but ultimately fell to Charlotte 3-2.
Vladar stopped 29 shots while Nedeljkovic stopped 26 shots. Providence was 0/2 on the power play and 4-5 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins are back at the Dunk on tomorrow afternoon Saturday February 17th when they take on the Springfield Thunderbirds at 3:05pm.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 16, 2019
- Eagles Fall to Heat 5-2 in Fight-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Dube, McMurtry Lead Stockton in 5-2 Thriller - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Stumbles in 5-4 Loss in the Shootout to Rockford - Iowa Wild
- Reinforced Roadrunners Rebound, Secure a 4-1 Win over Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Stun Rampage with Three Late Goals in Overtime Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Fall 4-1 to Roadrunners - Texas Stars
- Griffins Complete Comeback in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Sweep Back-To-Back against Devils with 5-2 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Crunch Edged by Amerks, 3-2, in Six-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Fall 3-2 to Checkers - Providence Bruins
- Amerks End Skid, Reclaim North Division Lead with 3-2 Shootout Win over Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Sammy Blais Recalled to Blues - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Tie Game Late, But Lose in Overtime to Comets - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Koivula extends goal-scoring streak to four straight games with the overtime winner - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Comeback Late But Hershey Wins in Shootout - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Checkers Defeat Providence 3-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Beat Monsters Behind Batherson Pair - Belleville Senators
- Bears Top Phantoms in Shootout, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Late Bridgeport Goal Sinks Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Thunderbirds Can't Get Past Marlies in Front of Sellout Crowd - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Devils Swept by Rocket, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Upended by Senators, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Darcy's Overtime Winner Lifts Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Gulls Spread Scoring around in 8-3 Romp - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Give up Eight, Fall 8-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Marlies Close out Road Swing in Springfield - Toronto Marlies
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Roy to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Recall Justin Woods - Manitoba Moose
- Game #47 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jets Recall Tucker Poolman from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Condors Go for 15 Straight Wins Tonight on Blackout Cancer - Bakersfield Condors
- Kings Recall Defenseman Matt Roy from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat, Eagles Begin Weekend Set Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Detroit Recalls Hronek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, February 16 - Belleville Senators
- Islanders Loan Ladd, Hickey on Conditioning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings - Cleveland Monsters
- Reign Comeback Nearly Ends Bakersfield Streak - Ontario Reign
- Condors Survive for 14th Straight Win, 7-6 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Top Wolves, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.