Devils Swept by Rocket, 5-2
BINGHAMTON - After snapping their seven-game losing streak last night against the Devils, the Laval Rocket kept the momentum going in a 5-2 victory over Binghamton on Saturday night inside Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena.
The Rocket struck first as Nikita Jevpalovs danced around a few Devils defensemen in the slot and fired a shot off Morgan Adams-Moisan and into the net with 2:25 left in the opening period. The Devils failed to register a shot in the first period and the Rocket led the Devils after one period, 1-0.
After registering their first shot of the game two minutes into the second period, the Devils soon found themselves in a 2-0 hole. Alexandre Grenier knocked Egor Yakovlev off the puck in the Devils zone and beat Mackenzie Blackwood on a partial breakaway at 16:46.
The tide turned moments later as Tariq Hammond scored his first professional goal on a long wrist shot to put Binghamton within a goal with 15:16 to play in the middle frame. Egor Sharangovich and Nick Saracino tallied assists on the play.
The Devils would even the score two minutes later as Michael McLeod forced the puck to the side of the net and Nathan Bastian jammed it home to tie the score at two a-piece. Binghamton answered back big from the first period, ending the frame outshooting Laval 16-12.
Laval was able to end the Devils comeback bid in the third period, scoring a pair of goals in less than one minute. 6:45 into the period, Nikita Jevpalovs entered the Devils zone and found a streaking Lukas Vejdemo with a cross-ice pass who lifted the puck past Blackwood for the eventual game winner.
Just 47 seconds later, Michael Chaput stripped the puck off McLeod's stick at the Devils blueline and nudged the puck ahead to Alex Belzile. On the breakaway, Belzile gathered the puck and rifled it past Blackwood, giving Laval a 4-2 lead. The Rocket would add an empty netter for a 5-2 win.
The Binghamton Devils return home Friday against Belleville for DIFD Night and Saturday against Utica for Mascot Mania presented by McDonald's. Help support the Mental Health Association of the Southern Tier on Friday night and Saturday join the New Jersey Devils mascot, NJ Devil, and all of Devil Dawg's friends ofr Mascot Mania at 7:05 p.m. Call or text "TICKETS" to 607-722-7367.
Binghamton Devils full season memberships are now available for the 2019-20 season! Get great benefits such as FREE New Jersey Devils NHL tickets,exclusive access to Devils players, a brand new referral program, gift cards, and much more! For information on becoming a member, text "MEMBER" to 607-722-7367.
For more information, including pricing, group outings, taking a limo to the game, fan experiences, and much more, visit www.binghamtondevils.com or call the Devils front office at 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Egor Sharangovich of the Binghamton Senators faces off against the Laval Rocket
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 16, 2019
- Eagles Fall to Heat 5-2 in Fight-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Dube, McMurtry Lead Stockton in 5-2 Thriller - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Stumbles in 5-4 Loss in the Shootout to Rockford - Iowa Wild
- Reinforced Roadrunners Rebound, Secure a 4-1 Win over Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Stun Rampage with Three Late Goals in Overtime Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Fall 4-1 to Roadrunners - Texas Stars
- Griffins Complete Comeback in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Sweep Back-To-Back against Devils with 5-2 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Crunch Edged by Amerks, 3-2, in Six-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Fall 3-2 to Checkers - Providence Bruins
- Amerks End Skid, Reclaim North Division Lead with 3-2 Shootout Win over Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Sammy Blais Recalled to Blues - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Tie Game Late, But Lose in Overtime to Comets - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Koivula extends goal-scoring streak to four straight games with the overtime winner - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Comeback Late But Hershey Wins in Shootout - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Checkers Defeat Providence 3-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Beat Monsters Behind Batherson Pair - Belleville Senators
- Bears Top Phantoms in Shootout, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Late Bridgeport Goal Sinks Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Thunderbirds Can't Get Past Marlies in Front of Sellout Crowd - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Devils Swept by Rocket, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Upended by Senators, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Darcy's Overtime Winner Lifts Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Gulls Spread Scoring around in 8-3 Romp - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Give up Eight, Fall 8-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Marlies Close out Road Swing in Springfield - Toronto Marlies
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Roy to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Recall Justin Woods - Manitoba Moose
- Game #47 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jets Recall Tucker Poolman from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Condors Go for 15 Straight Wins Tonight on Blackout Cancer - Bakersfield Condors
- Kings Recall Defenseman Matt Roy from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat, Eagles Begin Weekend Set Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Detroit Recalls Hronek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, February 16 - Belleville Senators
- Islanders Loan Ladd, Hickey on Conditioning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings - Cleveland Monsters
- Reign Comeback Nearly Ends Bakersfield Streak - Ontario Reign
- Condors Survive for 14th Straight Win, 7-6 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Top Wolves, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.