Sens Beat Monsters Behind Batherson Pair
The Belleville Senators pushed its point streak to 12 with a 4-2 win over the Cleveland Monsters Saturday at CAA Arena.
Belleville's Drake Batherson (2), Stefan Elliott and Filip Chlapik scored while Marcus Hogberg made 35 saves. Cleveland's Brad Thiessen turned away 21 shots while Ryan Collins and Justin Scott found the back of the net.
The Senators grabbed an early 1-0 lead through Batherson's 17th of the year as he took advantage of a Cleveland turnover at their blue line to skate in and beat Thiessen at 2:05.
The lead was nearly 2-0 minutes later as the Sens again found themselves in on a breakaway off of a Monsters turnover but this time Chlapik couldn't convert.
Belleville did officially make it 2-0 with 15 seconds left in the period as Elliott bagged his sixth of the season after a great feed from fellow defenceman Jordan Murray.
Cleveland took control of the second period as they fired 15 shots on Hogberg and got on the board at 4:45 through Collins' second of the season. The Monsters nearly found an equalizer as after killing off a penalty, Adam Clendening stepped out of the box to set up a 2-on-0 with Maxime Fornier and after a give-and-go, Fornier was denied by an outstanding save by Belleville's Swedish goalie.
Chlapik did find the back of the net 3:01 into the third as seconds after a Belleville power play had concluded, the Czech forward fired his 15th of the year season from the high slot to push the Sens' lead to 3-1.
The lead was extended through Batherson's second of the night as a puck squirmed loose back door on the power play and the rookie made no mistake for a 4-1 advantage.
Cleveland cut the deficit to 4-2 through Scott's ninth of the year but the visitors never got any closer as Hogberg shut the door.
The Senators are back in action Monday as they host Laval on Family Day. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 16, 2019
- Eagles Fall to Heat 5-2 in Fight-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Dube, McMurtry Lead Stockton in 5-2 Thriller - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Stumbles in 5-4 Loss in the Shootout to Rockford - Iowa Wild
- Reinforced Roadrunners Rebound, Secure a 4-1 Win over Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Stun Rampage with Three Late Goals in Overtime Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Fall 4-1 to Roadrunners - Texas Stars
- Griffins Complete Comeback in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Sweep Back-To-Back against Devils with 5-2 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Crunch Edged by Amerks, 3-2, in Six-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Fall 3-2 to Checkers - Providence Bruins
- Amerks End Skid, Reclaim North Division Lead with 3-2 Shootout Win over Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Sammy Blais Recalled to Blues - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Tie Game Late, But Lose in Overtime to Comets - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Koivula extends goal-scoring streak to four straight games with the overtime winner - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Comeback Late But Hershey Wins in Shootout - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Checkers Defeat Providence 3-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Beat Monsters Behind Batherson Pair - Belleville Senators
- Bears Top Phantoms in Shootout, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Late Bridgeport Goal Sinks Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Thunderbirds Can't Get Past Marlies in Front of Sellout Crowd - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Devils Swept by Rocket, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Upended by Senators, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Darcy's Overtime Winner Lifts Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Gulls Spread Scoring around in 8-3 Romp - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Give up Eight, Fall 8-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Marlies Close out Road Swing in Springfield - Toronto Marlies
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Roy to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Recall Justin Woods - Manitoba Moose
- Game #47 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jets Recall Tucker Poolman from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Condors Go for 15 Straight Wins Tonight on Blackout Cancer - Bakersfield Condors
- Kings Recall Defenseman Matt Roy from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat, Eagles Begin Weekend Set Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Detroit Recalls Hronek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, February 16 - Belleville Senators
- Islanders Loan Ladd, Hickey on Conditioning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings - Cleveland Monsters
- Reign Comeback Nearly Ends Bakersfield Streak - Ontario Reign
- Condors Survive for 14th Straight Win, 7-6 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Top Wolves, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.