Checkers Defeat Providence 3-2
PROVIDENCE 3-2 Team wins second consecutive road game After a few recent setbacks in the season series, the Checkers defeated division rival Providence 3-2 on Saturday to earn their second win in as many days.
Zach Nastasiuk and Julien Gauthier each scored for the second consecutive day, while team captain Patrick Brown added another as the Checkers got off to a 2-0-0 start on a busy weekend that will see them play three times in three days in three different cities. Making his third consecutive start, Alex Nedeljkovic 26 saves to pick up his league-best 24th victory of the season.
Nedeljkovic, who is 7-1-2 since Jan. 12, had to be at his best down the stretch as the Bruins scored twice in 43 seconds early in the third period to cut what had been a 3-0 Checkers lead down to a single goal. The Bruins out-shot Charlotte 15-9 in the final frame.
With the win, Charlotte improved to 5-2-2 in the season series with Providence, which prior to tonight had won three consecutive games in the season series (including two in overtime).
This is the first time that Charlotte, which defeated Springfield 4-1 on Friday, has won consecutive games since Jan. 15-16. Before winning twice in two days to start this weekend, the team had just two victories in the last 29 days (2-4-4).
The Checkers will now try to sweep the three-in-three set tomorrow afternoon in Bridgeport Ã¢â¬" an accomplishment that has only been done four times in team history, including once this season.
Nedeljkovic has allowed two goals or fewer in each of his last seven starts ... This is the first goal streak of Nastasiuk's 86-game AHL career ... Dan Renouf posted two assists, tying his season high for points in a single game ... Aleksi Saarela missed a penalty shot opportunity in the third period Ã¢â¬¦ Clark Bishop missed the game due to injury ... Forward Zack Stortini and defenseman Dennis Robertson were healthy extras.
The three-in-three weekend and five-game road trip conclude with a 3 p.m. matinee in Bridgeport on Sunday.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 16, 2019
- Eagles Fall to Heat 5-2 in Fight-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Dube, McMurtry Lead Stockton in 5-2 Thriller - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Stumbles in 5-4 Loss in the Shootout to Rockford - Iowa Wild
- Reinforced Roadrunners Rebound, Secure a 4-1 Win over Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Stun Rampage with Three Late Goals in Overtime Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Fall 4-1 to Roadrunners - Texas Stars
- Griffins Complete Comeback in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Sweep Back-To-Back against Devils with 5-2 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Crunch Edged by Amerks, 3-2, in Six-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Fall 3-2 to Checkers - Providence Bruins
- Amerks End Skid, Reclaim North Division Lead with 3-2 Shootout Win over Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Sammy Blais Recalled to Blues - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Tie Game Late, But Lose in Overtime to Comets - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Koivula extends goal-scoring streak to four straight games with the overtime winner - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Comeback Late But Hershey Wins in Shootout - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Checkers Defeat Providence 3-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Beat Monsters Behind Batherson Pair - Belleville Senators
- Bears Top Phantoms in Shootout, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Late Bridgeport Goal Sinks Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Thunderbirds Can't Get Past Marlies in Front of Sellout Crowd - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Devils Swept by Rocket, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Upended by Senators, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Darcy's Overtime Winner Lifts Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Gulls Spread Scoring around in 8-3 Romp - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Give up Eight, Fall 8-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Marlies Close out Road Swing in Springfield - Toronto Marlies
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Roy to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Recall Justin Woods - Manitoba Moose
- Game #47 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jets Recall Tucker Poolman from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Condors Go for 15 Straight Wins Tonight on Blackout Cancer - Bakersfield Condors
- Kings Recall Defenseman Matt Roy from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat, Eagles Begin Weekend Set Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Detroit Recalls Hronek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, February 16 - Belleville Senators
- Islanders Loan Ladd, Hickey on Conditioning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings - Cleveland Monsters
- Reign Comeback Nearly Ends Bakersfield Streak - Ontario Reign
- Condors Survive for 14th Straight Win, 7-6 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Top Wolves, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.