Bears Top Phantoms in Shootout, 3-2
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears extended their point streak to 14 (13-0-0-1) and win streak to eight with a 3-2 shootout win over the Lehigh Valley Phantoms on Saturday night at Giant Center. The Bears snapped an 0-for-33 skid against the Phantoms on the power play in the current season-series with a pair of power play strikes.
In a game decided by special teams, Lehigh Valley grabbed the first goal after capitalizing on an early 5-on-3 power play chance. Jonas Siegenthaler was whistled for a slashing minor at 3:40, and Tyler Lewington was flagged for delay of game only eight seconds later to send the Phantoms to a lengthy two-man advantage. At the 4:36 mark, Corban Knight tallied his first goal of the season after redirecting a T.J. Brennan shot past Ilya Samsonov. Shots after 20 minutes were tied 10-10, and Lehigh Valley finished the period 1-for-3 on the man-advantage.
Next period, the Bears answered by snapping their long power play drought against the Orange and Black. Hershey entered tonight without a single goal on the man-advantage in the season-series against the Phantoms. On the 34th power play try of the season, Mike Sgarbossa released a laser past Phantoms goaltender Alex Lyon at the 11:50 mark to even the game at 1-1.
On the Bears very next crack on the man-advantage, Jayson Megna hit pay-dirt for his club's first lead of the night. Megna redirected a drive from Riley Barber past Lyon at 18:42. Hershey carried their 2-1 lead into the dressing room after 40 minutes with a 25-19 advantage in shots.
Clinging to a one goal lead in the third period, the Phantoms found the equalizer with Lyon on the bench for the extra attacker. Tyler Lewington received a two minute minor for high-sticking at 16:51, and Knight cashed in for his second power play goal of the night exactly 2:00 later at 18:51. On the rebound following the initial shot, Knight caught Samsonov out of position to even the score at 18:51. After 60 minutes, shots were 32-27 Bears. Hershey's special teams finished 2-for-6 on the power play and 2-for-4 on the kill.
Hershey went to their ninth shootout of the season, and Sgarbossa scored for the first time on his ninth attempt in the third round. Samsonov stopped all three shots faced to send Hershey to the victory. The Bears improved their record to 28-20-0-3 on the season with the win.
Both teams rematch tomorrow, Feb. 17 at the PPL Center in Allentown. Puck drop is scheduled for 5:05 p.m. Voice of the Bears Zack Fisch will have the call on the Bears Radio Network.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 16, 2019
- Eagles Fall to Heat 5-2 in Fight-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Dube, McMurtry Lead Stockton in 5-2 Thriller - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Stumbles in 5-4 Loss in the Shootout to Rockford - Iowa Wild
- Reinforced Roadrunners Rebound, Secure a 4-1 Win over Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Stun Rampage with Three Late Goals in Overtime Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Fall 4-1 to Roadrunners - Texas Stars
- Griffins Complete Comeback in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Sweep Back-To-Back against Devils with 5-2 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Crunch Edged by Amerks, 3-2, in Six-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Fall 3-2 to Checkers - Providence Bruins
- Amerks End Skid, Reclaim North Division Lead with 3-2 Shootout Win over Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Sammy Blais Recalled to Blues - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Tie Game Late, But Lose in Overtime to Comets - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Koivula extends goal-scoring streak to four straight games with the overtime winner - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Comeback Late But Hershey Wins in Shootout - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Checkers Defeat Providence 3-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Beat Monsters Behind Batherson Pair - Belleville Senators
- Bears Top Phantoms in Shootout, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Late Bridgeport Goal Sinks Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Thunderbirds Can't Get Past Marlies in Front of Sellout Crowd - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Devils Swept by Rocket, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Upended by Senators, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Darcy's Overtime Winner Lifts Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Gulls Spread Scoring around in 8-3 Romp - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Give up Eight, Fall 8-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Marlies Close out Road Swing in Springfield - Toronto Marlies
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Roy to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Recall Justin Woods - Manitoba Moose
- Game #47 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jets Recall Tucker Poolman from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Condors Go for 15 Straight Wins Tonight on Blackout Cancer - Bakersfield Condors
- Kings Recall Defenseman Matt Roy from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat, Eagles Begin Weekend Set Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Detroit Recalls Hronek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, February 16 - Belleville Senators
- Islanders Loan Ladd, Hickey on Conditioning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings - Cleveland Monsters
- Reign Comeback Nearly Ends Bakersfield Streak - Ontario Reign
- Condors Survive for 14th Straight Win, 7-6 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Top Wolves, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.