Monsters Upended by Senators, 4-2
BELLEVILLE, ON - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters were defeated by the Belleville Senators on Saturday at CAA Arena in Belleville, ON by a final score of 4-2. With the loss, the Monsters are now 24-22-5-1 overall this season and with 54 points, currently reside in sixth place in the AHL's North Division standings.
Belleville grabbed a 2-0 first-period lead on Saturday with an even-strength Drake Batherson goal at 2:05 and a five-on-five finish from former Monster Stefan Elliott at 19:45 of the opening frame.
Cleveland proceeded to cut Belleville's lead in half with an even-strength Ryan Collins marker at 4:46 of the middle frame on feeds from Tommy Cross and Ryan MacInnis.
In the third, Belleville pushed their edge to 4-1 with an even-strength score from Filip Chlapik at 3:01 and a Batherson power-play goal at 12:10 before Cleveland's Justin Scott established the game's final score of 4-2 with a five-on-five finish at 15:30, assisted by Doyle Somerby and Kevin Stenlund.
Monsters goaltender Brad Thiessen stopped 21 of the 25 shots he faced to fall to 4-3-1 this season while Belleville's Marcus Hogberg improved to 10-4-4 this year by virtue of a 35-save performance.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Sunday road clash vs. the Utica Comets with full coverage, live from Adirondack Bank Center in Utica, NY, underway at 5:00 pm on Alt 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Cleveland Monsters tickets for the hottest games of the year on sale now and start at only $10 per seat! Additionally, 2019-20 Monsters Hockey Club memberships, including the best seats for each game, the lowest ticket prices, exclusive year-round benefits and free gear are also on sale now. Visit www.clevelandmonsters.com/holiday or by calling the Monsters sales and service team at 216-420-0000. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
Images from this story
Clevelad Monsters defenseman Gabriel Carlsson
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 16, 2019
- Eagles Fall to Heat 5-2 in Fight-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Dube, McMurtry Lead Stockton in 5-2 Thriller - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Stumbles in 5-4 Loss in the Shootout to Rockford - Iowa Wild
- Reinforced Roadrunners Rebound, Secure a 4-1 Win over Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Stun Rampage with Three Late Goals in Overtime Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Fall 4-1 to Roadrunners - Texas Stars
- Griffins Complete Comeback in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Sweep Back-To-Back against Devils with 5-2 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Crunch Edged by Amerks, 3-2, in Six-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Fall 3-2 to Checkers - Providence Bruins
- Amerks End Skid, Reclaim North Division Lead with 3-2 Shootout Win over Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Sammy Blais Recalled to Blues - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Tie Game Late, But Lose in Overtime to Comets - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Koivula extends goal-scoring streak to four straight games with the overtime winner - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Comeback Late But Hershey Wins in Shootout - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Checkers Defeat Providence 3-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Beat Monsters Behind Batherson Pair - Belleville Senators
- Bears Top Phantoms in Shootout, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Late Bridgeport Goal Sinks Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Thunderbirds Can't Get Past Marlies in Front of Sellout Crowd - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Devils Swept by Rocket, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Upended by Senators, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Darcy's Overtime Winner Lifts Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Gulls Spread Scoring around in 8-3 Romp - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Give up Eight, Fall 8-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Marlies Close out Road Swing in Springfield - Toronto Marlies
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Roy to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Recall Justin Woods - Manitoba Moose
- Game #47 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jets Recall Tucker Poolman from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Condors Go for 15 Straight Wins Tonight on Blackout Cancer - Bakersfield Condors
- Kings Recall Defenseman Matt Roy from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat, Eagles Begin Weekend Set Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Detroit Recalls Hronek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, February 16 - Belleville Senators
- Islanders Loan Ladd, Hickey on Conditioning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings - Cleveland Monsters
- Reign Comeback Nearly Ends Bakersfield Streak - Ontario Reign
- Condors Survive for 14th Straight Win, 7-6 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Top Wolves, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Update on Dan Gilbert's Health
- Cleveland Monsters and Cedar Point Team up to Present Monsters Summer Sizzler Pack
- John Madden Will Not Return as Cleveland Monsters Head Coach in 2019-20
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2019 Summer Tour Presented by Cedar Point
- Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Monsters and Canton Charge Announce New-Look-Game Entertainment Teams