Monsters Upended by Senators, 4-2
BELLEVILLE, ON - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters were defeated by the Belleville Senators on Saturday at CAA Arena in Belleville, ON by a final score of 4-2. With the loss, the Monsters are now 24-22-5-1 overall this season and with 54 points, currently reside in sixth place in the AHL's North Division standings.
Belleville grabbed a 2-0 first-period lead on Saturday with an even-strength Drake Batherson goal at 2:05 and a five-on-five finish from former Monster Stefan Elliott at 19:45 of the opening frame.
Cleveland proceeded to cut Belleville's lead in half with an even-strength Ryan Collins marker at 4:46 of the middle frame on feeds from Tommy Cross and Ryan MacInnis.
In the third, Belleville pushed their edge to 4-1 with an even-strength score from Filip Chlapik at 3:01 and a Batherson power-play goal at 12:10 before Cleveland's Justin Scott established the game's final score of 4-2 with a five-on-five finish at 15:30, assisted by Doyle Somerby and Kevin Stenlund.
Monsters goaltender Brad Thiessen stopped 21 of the 25 shots he faced to fall to 4-3-1 this season while Belleville's Marcus Hogberg improved to 10-4-4 this year by virtue of a 35-save performance.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Sunday road clash vs. the Utica Comets with full coverage, live from Adirondack Bank Center in Utica, NY, underway at 5:00 pm on Alt 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Cleveland Monsters tickets for the hottest games of the year on sale now and start at only $10 per seat! Additionally, 2019-20 Monsters Hockey Club memberships, including the best seats for each game, the lowest ticket prices, exclusive year-round benefits and free gear are also on sale now. Visit www.clevelandmonsters.com/holiday or by calling the Monsters sales and service team at 216-420-0000. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
Images from this story
Clevelad Monsters defenseman Gabriel Carlsson
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 16, 2019
- Eagles Fall to Heat 5-2 in Fight-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Dube, McMurtry Lead Stockton in 5-2 Thriller - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Stumbles in 5-4 Loss in the Shootout to Rockford - Iowa Wild
- Reinforced Roadrunners Rebound, Secure a 4-1 Win over Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Stun Rampage with Three Late Goals in Overtime Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Fall 4-1 to Roadrunners - Texas Stars
- Griffins Complete Comeback in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Sweep Back-To-Back against Devils with 5-2 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Crunch Edged by Amerks, 3-2, in Six-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Fall 3-2 to Checkers - Providence Bruins
- Amerks End Skid, Reclaim North Division Lead with 3-2 Shootout Win over Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Sammy Blais Recalled to Blues - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Tie Game Late, But Lose in Overtime to Comets - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Koivula extends goal-scoring streak to four straight games with the overtime winner - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Comeback Late But Hershey Wins in Shootout - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Checkers Defeat Providence 3-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Beat Monsters Behind Batherson Pair - Belleville Senators
- Bears Top Phantoms in Shootout, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Late Bridgeport Goal Sinks Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Thunderbirds Can't Get Past Marlies in Front of Sellout Crowd - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Devils Swept by Rocket, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Upended by Senators, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Darcy's Overtime Winner Lifts Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Gulls Spread Scoring around in 8-3 Romp - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Give up Eight, Fall 8-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Marlies Close out Road Swing in Springfield - Toronto Marlies
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Roy to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Recall Justin Woods - Manitoba Moose
- Game #47 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jets Recall Tucker Poolman from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Condors Go for 15 Straight Wins Tonight on Blackout Cancer - Bakersfield Condors
- Kings Recall Defenseman Matt Roy from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat, Eagles Begin Weekend Set Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Detroit Recalls Hronek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, February 16 - Belleville Senators
- Islanders Loan Ladd, Hickey on Conditioning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings - Cleveland Monsters
- Reign Comeback Nearly Ends Bakersfield Streak - Ontario Reign
- Condors Survive for 14th Straight Win, 7-6 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Top Wolves, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.