Detroit Recalls Hronek
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Detroit Red Wings on Saturday recalled defenseman Filip Hronek from the Grand Rapids Griffins.
Hronek, 21, has split his second professional season between Grand Rapids and Detroit. He leads all Griffins defensemen in points (23), goals (7), assists (16) and power play goals (4) while adding a plus-four rating and 45 penalty minutes in 28 appearances.
In his NHL debut this season, the 6-foot, 178-pound blueliner has registered 10 points (3-7-10) and 24 PIM while averaging 18:24 of ice time in 23 games with the Red Wings. Selected in the second round, 53rd overall, by Detroit in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft, Hronek became the 171st Griffins alumnus to play in the NHL when he made his debut with the club during the season opener on Oct. 4 vs. Columbus. He picked up his first NHL point on an assist on Oct. 11 vs. Toronto and his first goal on Oct. 13 at Boston.
In his first full year as a pro with Grand Rapids in 2017-18, Hronek equaled the franchise's single-season scoring record for rookie defensemen with 39 points (11-28-39) in 67 games and was named to the AHL All-Rookie Team. Hronek made his North American pro debut with the Griffins at the end of the 2016-17 campaign, picking up two points (1-1-2) in 10 regular season contests and helping Grand Rapids win the Calder Cup after skating in two postseason tilts.
The Central Division-leading Griffins continue their season-high seven-game homestand tonight when they face the San Antonio Rampage at 7 p.m.
Single-game tickets are currently on sale. Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 16, 2019
- Eagles Fall to Heat 5-2 in Fight-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Dube, McMurtry Lead Stockton in 5-2 Thriller - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Stumbles in 5-4 Loss in the Shootout to Rockford - Iowa Wild
- Reinforced Roadrunners Rebound, Secure a 4-1 Win over Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Stun Rampage with Three Late Goals in Overtime Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Fall 4-1 to Roadrunners - Texas Stars
- Griffins Complete Comeback in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Sweep Back-To-Back against Devils with 5-2 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Crunch Edged by Amerks, 3-2, in Six-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Fall 3-2 to Checkers - Providence Bruins
- Amerks End Skid, Reclaim North Division Lead with 3-2 Shootout Win over Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Sammy Blais Recalled to Blues - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Tie Game Late, But Lose in Overtime to Comets - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Koivula extends goal-scoring streak to four straight games with the overtime winner - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Comeback Late But Hershey Wins in Shootout - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Checkers Defeat Providence 3-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Beat Monsters Behind Batherson Pair - Belleville Senators
- Bears Top Phantoms in Shootout, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Late Bridgeport Goal Sinks Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Thunderbirds Can't Get Past Marlies in Front of Sellout Crowd - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Devils Swept by Rocket, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Upended by Senators, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Darcy's Overtime Winner Lifts Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Gulls Spread Scoring around in 8-3 Romp - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Give up Eight, Fall 8-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Marlies Close out Road Swing in Springfield - Toronto Marlies
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Roy to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Recall Justin Woods - Manitoba Moose
- Game #47 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jets Recall Tucker Poolman from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Condors Go for 15 Straight Wins Tonight on Blackout Cancer - Bakersfield Condors
- Kings Recall Defenseman Matt Roy from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat, Eagles Begin Weekend Set Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Detroit Recalls Hronek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, February 16 - Belleville Senators
- Islanders Loan Ladd, Hickey on Conditioning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings - Cleveland Monsters
- Reign Comeback Nearly Ends Bakersfield Streak - Ontario Reign
- Condors Survive for 14th Straight Win, 7-6 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Top Wolves, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- 2019 IIHF World Championship Features 10 Current Or Former Griffins
- Red Wings Sign Dylan McIlrath to Two-Year Extension
- Griffins' 2019-20 Home Opener Set for October 11
- Griffins Sign Charle-Edouard D'Astous to Two-Year Deal
- Game 5 Loss Ends Griffins' Season