Stars Fall 4-1 to Roadrunners
CEDAR PARK, Texas - The Texas Stars, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, took on the Tucson Roadrunners for game two of Pink in the Rink weekend and came out on the wrong side of a 4-1 final. Justin Dowling was the only Stars player to find the back of the net, despite the team's 33 shot effort.
Dakota Mermis got an early goal past Philippe Desrosiers, the first for the Roadrunners all weekend. The Stars captain struck back just 65 seconds later, to even the score at one. Denis Gurianov carried the puck into the Stars offensive zone through three Roadrunners defenders to set up Dowling, who fired a shot past the left side of Adin Hill.
Hill held down the fort in the second period with eleven saves and eventually ended the night with 32 stops. Desrosiers held his team tight into the third period and finished his game with 22 saves.
The score remained even at one for much of the second period, until David Ullstrom scored the eventual game-winning goal at 19:23 moments after his team's power play expired, his first of a multi-goal effort. With Tucson holding the lead, the Stars pressed forward hoping to tie the contest in the third. The effort opened the door for a pair of late third period goal from Tucson.
Fourteen minutes into the period, Ullstrom net his second of the night to give the Roadrunners an insurance goal. Three minutes later, Jordan Gross converted on Tucson's power play to extend their lead to 4-1. The Stars searched for the equalizer in the final frame firing a game high twelve shots on net, but none could get past Hill who earned the number one star and his eighth win of the year.
The Stars head on the road for four games away from H-E-B Center at Cedar Park beginning on Tuesday with the Iowa Wild.
3 Stars presented by Dahill Office Technology Corporation
Adin Hill (TUC)
David Ullstrom (TUC)
Justin Dowling (TEX)
The Texas Stars are the primary development affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, and begin their four-game road trip against the Iowa Wild on Tuesday, Feb. 19 at 7:00 p.m. Full-season, 24-game and 12-game ticket packages for the 2018-19 campaign are on sale now. For more information, call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit TexasStars.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 16, 2019
- Eagles Fall to Heat 5-2 in Fight-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Dube, McMurtry Lead Stockton in 5-2 Thriller - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Stumbles in 5-4 Loss in the Shootout to Rockford - Iowa Wild
- Reinforced Roadrunners Rebound, Secure a 4-1 Win over Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Stun Rampage with Three Late Goals in Overtime Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Fall 4-1 to Roadrunners - Texas Stars
- Griffins Complete Comeback in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Sweep Back-To-Back against Devils with 5-2 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Crunch Edged by Amerks, 3-2, in Six-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Fall 3-2 to Checkers - Providence Bruins
- Amerks End Skid, Reclaim North Division Lead with 3-2 Shootout Win over Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Sammy Blais Recalled to Blues - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Tie Game Late, But Lose in Overtime to Comets - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Koivula extends goal-scoring streak to four straight games with the overtime winner - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Comeback Late But Hershey Wins in Shootout - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Checkers Defeat Providence 3-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Beat Monsters Behind Batherson Pair - Belleville Senators
- Bears Top Phantoms in Shootout, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Late Bridgeport Goal Sinks Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Thunderbirds Can't Get Past Marlies in Front of Sellout Crowd - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Devils Swept by Rocket, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Upended by Senators, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Darcy's Overtime Winner Lifts Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Gulls Spread Scoring around in 8-3 Romp - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Give up Eight, Fall 8-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Marlies Close out Road Swing in Springfield - Toronto Marlies
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Roy to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Recall Justin Woods - Manitoba Moose
- Game #47 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jets Recall Tucker Poolman from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Condors Go for 15 Straight Wins Tonight on Blackout Cancer - Bakersfield Condors
- Kings Recall Defenseman Matt Roy from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat, Eagles Begin Weekend Set Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Detroit Recalls Hronek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, February 16 - Belleville Senators
- Islanders Loan Ladd, Hickey on Conditioning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings - Cleveland Monsters
- Reign Comeback Nearly Ends Bakersfield Streak - Ontario Reign
- Condors Survive for 14th Straight Win, 7-6 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Top Wolves, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.