Darcy's Overtime Winner Lifts Comets Over Penguins
Wilkes-Barre, PA - Cam Darcy provided the heroics for the Utica Comets, who earned a 3-2 overtime victory over the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Saturday night at Mohegan Sun Arena.
The opening period was a display of defensive, physical hockey, with both teams throwing their weight around and limiting their opponents' chances. Michael Leighton came up with 11 first-period stops, while his counterpart Tristan Jarry made 10 of his own. The impressive display of goaltending sent the teams into the first intermission deadlocked in a scoreless tie.
After over 19 more minutes of goalless hockey in the second period, the Comets finally broke the stalemate with a quck-strike faceoff play. Wacey Hamilton tied up the draw, allowing Brendan Woods to pull the puck away from a web of bodies and snap a shot over the left leg of Jarry. The late marker was Woods' third of the year.
Early in the third, the Comets doubled their lead after another faceoff win created a scoring opportunity. Hamilton tugged the draw back to Stefan LeBlanc, whose shot was stopped, but the rebound landed to the backhand of Vincent Arseneau for a top corner deposit.
The Penguins came to life down the stretch of the third period, cutting into Utica's lead just minutes after Arseneau's goal. Sam Militec made it 2-1 with his 7th of the season at 5:46, and the Penguins tied the game with 43 seconds left, courtesy of Ryan Haggerty. The late goal set up a sudden-death overtime session.
3:12 into the extra frame, Darcy sealed the Utica victory after he was set up by Jonathan Dahlen, and held onto the puck on his backhand before steering the game winning goal over the line.
The Comets are back at it tomorrow night as they host the Cleveland Monsters. Puck drop is at 5 p.m. Fans are encouraged to use the ticket exchange site, StubHub!. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 16, 2019
- Eagles Fall to Heat 5-2 in Fight-Filled Contest - Colorado Eagles
- Dube, McMurtry Lead Stockton in 5-2 Thriller - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Stumbles in 5-4 Loss in the Shootout to Rockford - Iowa Wild
- Reinforced Roadrunners Rebound, Secure a 4-1 Win over Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins Stun Rampage with Three Late Goals in Overtime Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Stars Fall 4-1 to Roadrunners - Texas Stars
- Griffins Complete Comeback in Overtime - San Antonio Rampage
- Rocket Sweep Back-To-Back against Devils with 5-2 Victory - Laval Rocket
- Crunch Edged by Amerks, 3-2, in Six-Round Shootout - Syracuse Crunch
- P-Bruins Fall 3-2 to Checkers - Providence Bruins
- Amerks End Skid, Reclaim North Division Lead with 3-2 Shootout Win over Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Sammy Blais Recalled to Blues - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Tie Game Late, But Lose in Overtime to Comets - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Koivula extends goal-scoring streak to four straight games with the overtime winner - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Phantoms Comeback Late But Hershey Wins in Shootout - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Checkers Defeat Providence 3-2 - Charlotte Checkers
- Sens Beat Monsters Behind Batherson Pair - Belleville Senators
- Bears Top Phantoms in Shootout, 3-2 - Hershey Bears
- Late Bridgeport Goal Sinks Pack in OT - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Thunderbirds Can't Get Past Marlies in Front of Sellout Crowd - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Devils Swept by Rocket, 5-2 - Binghamton Devils
- Monsters Upended by Senators, 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Darcy's Overtime Winner Lifts Comets Over Penguins - Utica Comets
- Gulls Spread Scoring around in 8-3 Romp - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Give up Eight, Fall 8-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Marlies Close out Road Swing in Springfield - Toronto Marlies
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Roy to Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Recall Justin Woods - Manitoba Moose
- Game #47 Preview: Tucson at Texas - Tucson Roadrunners
- Jets Recall Tucker Poolman from the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Condors Go for 15 Straight Wins Tonight on Blackout Cancer - Bakersfield Condors
- Kings Recall Defenseman Matt Roy from Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Heat, Eagles Begin Weekend Set Saturday - Stockton Heat
- Detroit Recalls Hronek - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Monsters, February 16 - Belleville Senators
- Islanders Loan Ladd, Hickey on Conditioning - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Phantoms at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Matiss Kivlenieks to ECHL's Kalamazoo Wings - Cleveland Monsters
- Reign Comeback Nearly Ends Bakersfield Streak - Ontario Reign
- Condors Survive for 14th Straight Win, 7-6 - Bakersfield Condors
- Moose Top Wolves, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.