Oil Kings Open Regular Season with Win over Rebels
Scott Atkinson couldn't have made a better first impression as the Edmonton Oil Kings newest captain.
The 19-year-old from Vancouver, BC scored twice - including the game winning goal - and was named the game's First Star as the Oil Kings (1-0-0-0) opened the 2019-20 season with a 4-2 win over the Red Deer Rebels (0-1-0-0) in front of 4,522 fans at Westerner Park Centrium on Saturday night.
It was the fourth two-goal game of Atkinson's Western Hockey League career, while Josh Williams aided in the cause with a goal and an assist. David Kope rounded out the goal scoring for the Oil Kings, and Mogilev, Belarus native Vladimir Alistrov tallied a pair of assists to help highlight the offence in the season opener.
Dylan Myskiw (1-0-0-0) backstopped the team to its first win of the season, turning aside 27 of 29 shots he faced.
Ethan Anders (0-1-0-0) took the loss, surrendering four goals on 32 shots in 58:04 of action.
The Rebels opened the game's scoring just past the midway point of the first period on a goal by Dallon Melin from Keaton Sorenson at 11:26, but the Oil Kings capitalized on their first power play of the season to pot the equalizer.
The newly appointed captain, Atkinson, scored Edmonton's first goal of the season at 14:58, making it a 1-1 game from Wyatt McLeod and Dylan Guenther.
Just 12 seconds before the period was out the Oil Kings took hold of the lead, as Williams made it 2-1, from Alistrov, at 19:46.
Shots on goal in the first period of play were 10-10 a-piece.
Atkinson didn't wait long to exude more of his leadership abilities, as he gave the Oil Kings a 3-1 edge just 1:46 into the second period, assisted by Williams and Alistrov.
It would prove to be the eventual game winner and the lone goal of the middle frame, which saw Edmonton outshoot Red Deer, 11-7.
During a heavy-hitting third period the Rebels battled their way back to within one, 3-2, as Brett Davis scored his first of the season at 13:46.
Kope restored the two-goal lead, notching the insurance marker at 17:54, from Jake Neighbours and Riley Sawchuk, to ice the 4-2 win.
Shots on goal in the third period of play favored the Rebels, 12-11, but finished 32-29, Oil Kings.
Red Deer was 0-for-4 on the power play while Edmonton finished the night going 1-for-3 with the man advantage.
Vladimir Alistrov (EDM) (3), Brett Davis (RD) (2), and Scott Atkinson (EDM) (1) were selected as the Three Stars of the Game.
Wyatt McLeod and Conner McDonald each wore an "A" and skated as alternate captains to Scott Atkinson.
The Oil Kings open their home schedule against the Rebels tomorrow, Sunday, September 22 at 4:00 PM MT. Upon arriving at the game, fans will witness the Oil Kings 2019-20 Central Division championship banner hanging from the top of Ford Hall while entering Rogers Place.
EOK365 Season Seat Memberships, Five-Star Plans, Flex Packs and single game tickets for every Edmonton Oil Kings game this season. Ticket packages start at just $99 per seat, and single game tickets are as low as $20. Call 780-414-GOAL (4625), email [email protected] or visit OilKings.ca for more information.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 22, 2019
- Sawchuk Snipes Twice as Oil Kings Make It Back-To-Back Wins vs. Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Rebels Struggle Offensively in 4-1 Road Loss to Oil Kings - Red Deer Rebels
- Nolan Foote returned to Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Day Hub: September 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Wheat Kings Double up Ice Saturday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Double up Winnipeg ICE 4-2 on Saturday Night - Winnipeg Ice
- Brkin Backstops Warriors to Win over Pats - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Blades Downed 1-0 in 2019 Merlin Ford Lincoln Home Opener - Saskatoon Blades
- Giants Complete Weekend Sweep of the Cougars with a 4-1 Victory - Vancouver Giants
- Hamaliuk beats the buzzer to lift the Rockets to victory - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Swept by Vancouver to Open Season - Prince George Cougars
- Wolf Shutout, Plenty of Offense Spell Silvertips Win - Everett Silvertips
- Tigers Split Season Opening Weekend - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Americans Close Opening Weekend with Loss to Portland - Tri-City Americans
- Kiviniemi's Overtime Winner Lifts Broncos over Hitmen - Swift Current Broncos
- Impressive Home Opening Win for the for the Hawks - Portland Winterhawks
- Rebels Drop Season Opener to Oil Kings, But Show Positive Signs - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Head Home with Three Points After OT Loss at Kelowna - Spokane Chiefs
- Ross Douses Blazers for T-Birds Home Opener Win - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Royals Blanked by Silvertips in Season Opener - Victoria Royals
- Bilous, Fonstad Lead Raiders to Win in Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Can't Hold off Swift Current in OT - Calgary Hitmen
- Oil Kings Open Regular Season with Win over Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Pats Rally but Fall to Moose Jaw - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Edmonton Oil Kings Stories
- Canadian Hockey League Launches Memorial ECup Tournament
- Neighbours Drafted 26th Overall by St. Louis Blues
- St. Louis Blues Select Jake Neighbours 26th Overall in the 2020 NHL Draft
- Edmonton to Host Back-To-Back World Juniors
- Oil Kings Acquire Draft Picks from Everett