Brkin Backstops Warriors to Win over Pats
Bailey Brkin made 43 saves Saturday and picked up his first win with his new team as the Moose Jaw Warriors down the Regina Pats 5-3 in their 2019 Home Opener.
With a ton of energy generated from their fans, the Warriors got off to a strong start in the opening period.
Working on the power-play at 7:42, Carson Denomie had the puck inside the left circle and cut towards the Regina net. Denomie let a shot go on the fly that snuck through the pads of Max Paddock, his second goal of the season gave the Warriors an early lead.
1:06 later, the Warriors came crashing back inside the Regina zone.
Eric Alarie stripped the Pats of the puck in the left corner and made a quick pass to the top of the Regina crease where Ryder Korczak scored his first of the season to give the Warriors a 2-0 lead.
Regina outshot the Warriors 14-10 in the second period but it was the home team that got all the rewards.
Reaching the ten-minute mark of the period, Cade Hayes pinned the Pats along their right boards which allowed Daniil Stepanov to grab the puck. Stepanov skated to the right goal line and then moved the puck to Tate Popple between the circles where he hammered in his first goal of the season.
With the clock winding down to finish the period, the Warriors charged up the ice.
Eric Alarie entered the Pats zone on the left-wing and then moved the puck to the high slot where Keenan Taphorn ripped a shot to the back of the net with one second left in the period to give the Warriors a 4-0 lead.
For the majority of the third period, space was tight as both teams looked to cut down the scoring opportunities.
In the final five minutes of regulation, the Pats fought their way back into the game.
Rookie Sloan Stanick scored at 15:02 to get Regina on the board and then just over a minute later the Pats made it a two-goal game on a goal from Riley Krane.
The Pats pulled their goal inside the final two minutes and their first gamble paid off with a goal from Robbie Holmes with 1:05 left.
Regina pulled their goalie again in the final moments but this time the Warriors made the move backfire as Ryder Korczak setup and empty-net goal for Carson Denomie to put the game out of reach.
Korczak led the Warriors with a goal and three points, Carson Denomie scored two goals, and Eric Alarie and Daemon Hunt picked up two assists each.
Moose Jaw was 1-for-5 on the power-play and 2-for-2 on the penalty kill.
The Warriors are now off until next weekend when they will square off against the Brandon Wheat Kings in a home-and-home series. The action starts Friday in Manitoba and then shifts back to Moose Jaw the following night, both games can be heard live on Country 100.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 22, 2019
- Sawchuk Snipes Twice as Oil Kings Make It Back-To-Back Wins vs. Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Rebels Struggle Offensively in 4-1 Road Loss to Oil Kings - Red Deer Rebels
- Nolan Foote returned to Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Day Hub: September 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Wheat Kings Double up Ice Saturday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Double up Winnipeg ICE 4-2 on Saturday Night - Winnipeg Ice
- Brkin Backstops Warriors to Win over Pats - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Blades Downed 1-0 in 2019 Merlin Ford Lincoln Home Opener - Saskatoon Blades
- Giants Complete Weekend Sweep of the Cougars with a 4-1 Victory - Vancouver Giants
- Hamaliuk beats the buzzer to lift the Rockets to victory - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Swept by Vancouver to Open Season - Prince George Cougars
- Wolf Shutout, Plenty of Offense Spell Silvertips Win - Everett Silvertips
- Tigers Split Season Opening Weekend - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Americans Close Opening Weekend with Loss to Portland - Tri-City Americans
- Kiviniemi's Overtime Winner Lifts Broncos over Hitmen - Swift Current Broncos
- Impressive Home Opening Win for the for the Hawks - Portland Winterhawks
- Rebels Drop Season Opener to Oil Kings, But Show Positive Signs - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Head Home with Three Points After OT Loss at Kelowna - Spokane Chiefs
- Ross Douses Blazers for T-Birds Home Opener Win - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Royals Blanked by Silvertips in Season Opener - Victoria Royals
- Bilous, Fonstad Lead Raiders to Win in Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Can't Hold off Swift Current in OT - Calgary Hitmen
- Oil Kings Open Regular Season with Win over Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Pats Rally but Fall to Moose Jaw - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.