Kiviniemi's Overtime Winner Lifts Broncos over Hitmen
SWIFT CURRENT, SK - The Swift Current Broncos (1-0-0-0) opened up the regular season with a thrilling overtime win against the Calgary Hitmen (0-0-1-0) thanks to Joona Kiviniemi's overtime winner Saturday night.
The Broncos thought they had opened the scoring just over five minutes into the game, but the officials quickly waived it off as Ethan Regnier deflected it with a high stick.
Carter Chorney would open the scoring for real nearly 10 minutes later. After Ethan O'Rourke was stopped off the rush, Chorney jumped on the rebound and poked it over Carl Stankowski to open the scoring.
The lead didn't last long as the Hitmen answered back off a goal from Carson Focht to send the game into the intermission tied at one.
Early in the second, Regnier got a breakaway but was hooked up and awarded a penalty shot. He made no mistake, beating Stankowski through the five hole to give the Broncos a 2-1 lead.
The lead lasted until the final minute, when Egor Zamula's long wrist shot beat a screened Isaac Poulter with just 18 seconds remaining in the game.
In overtime, Josh Prokop was awarded a penalty shot after he was tripped by Connor Horning. Prokop tried a similar move that Regnier scored on earlier, but Poulter stayed with him and made the left pad save.
With just six seconds left in overtime, Jett Woo was called for tripping, giving the Broncos their fourth power play of the game.
Ben King won the faceoff clean to the left wall for Alex Moar. Moar skated into the left corner before finding a wide-open Kiviniemi in the slot.
Kiviniemi took half a step before firing a wrist shot past Stankowski with under a second left in overtime to win the game.
The Broncos are now off six days until they host the Medicine Hat Tigers to the iPlex Friday night.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 22, 2019
- Sawchuk Snipes Twice as Oil Kings Make It Back-To-Back Wins vs. Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Rebels Struggle Offensively in 4-1 Road Loss to Oil Kings - Red Deer Rebels
- Nolan Foote returned to Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Day Hub: September 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Wheat Kings Double up Ice Saturday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Double up Winnipeg ICE 4-2 on Saturday Night - Winnipeg Ice
- Brkin Backstops Warriors to Win over Pats - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Blades Downed 1-0 in 2019 Merlin Ford Lincoln Home Opener - Saskatoon Blades
- Giants Complete Weekend Sweep of the Cougars with a 4-1 Victory - Vancouver Giants
- Hamaliuk beats the buzzer to lift the Rockets to victory - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Swept by Vancouver to Open Season - Prince George Cougars
- Wolf Shutout, Plenty of Offense Spell Silvertips Win - Everett Silvertips
- Tigers Split Season Opening Weekend - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Americans Close Opening Weekend with Loss to Portland - Tri-City Americans
- Kiviniemi's Overtime Winner Lifts Broncos over Hitmen - Swift Current Broncos
- Impressive Home Opening Win for the for the Hawks - Portland Winterhawks
- Rebels Drop Season Opener to Oil Kings, But Show Positive Signs - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Head Home with Three Points After OT Loss at Kelowna - Spokane Chiefs
- Ross Douses Blazers for T-Birds Home Opener Win - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Royals Blanked by Silvertips in Season Opener - Victoria Royals
- Bilous, Fonstad Lead Raiders to Win in Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Can't Hold off Swift Current in OT - Calgary Hitmen
- Oil Kings Open Regular Season with Win over Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Pats Rally but Fall to Moose Jaw - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Swift Current Broncos Stories
- Prospect Profile: Sam Court
- Season Ticket Payment Deadline Extended to November 10th 2020
- Broncos Announce Fundraising Efforts to Support Colby Cave Memorial Fund
- Swift Current Broncos Annual General Meeting Details
- Swift Current Broncos Announce Annual General Meeting Details