Ross Douses Blazers for T-Birds Home Opener Win
KENT - Goalie Roddy Ross made 50 saves Saturday night at accesso ShoWare Center in the Seattle Thunderbirds Home Opener to lead his team to a 4-1 win over the Kamloops Blazers.
Ross made seven saves in the first period, 21 saves in the second period and 22 saves in the third period.
The T-Birds next game is Friday, September 27, against the Tri-City Americans at 7:35pm at accesso ShoWare Center.
Seattle went in front 1-0 at 10:15 of the first period. Michael Horon carried the puck up ice into the offensive zone on the right wing. Horon had the puck poked away but Jared Davidson got it in the right circle. Davidson beat Kamloops goalie Dylan Garand on the glove side with a hard wrist shot. Simon Kubicek had the second assist.
Owen Williams set up the T-Birds second goal at 13:35 of the first. Williams kept the puck in the zone by racing to the left wall at the blue line and chipping the puck down the boards. Henrik Rybinksi controlled the puck and came off the wall into left circle. Rybinski found Andrej Kukuca at the left goal line. Kukuca skated at Garand and beat the goalie short side high for the goal.
The T-Birds made it a 3-0 lead at 18:15 of the first period. Kukuca took a wrist shot from the right circle that rebounded into the slot. Alex Morozoff put the rebound past Garand as he sprawled to make the save. Hunter Donohoe had the second assist.
In the middle of the second period Ross made a highlight reel save on Mats Lindgren just after a Kamloops power play ended. Ross went right to left and stopped Lindgren with a big glove save that brought the crowd to its feet.
Kamloops got on the board 10 seconds into the third period on a four-on-three power play goal by Zane Franklin.
Payton Mount scored at 17:35 of third period to give the T-Birds a 4-1 lead. Mount took a pass from Horon and broke up ice on a two-on-one break. Mount beat Garand over the glove from the middle of the right circle. Kubicek had the second assist.
Garand finished with 30 saves on 34 shots.
Single game tickets are on sale online on the T-Birds website and at the accesso ShoWare Center box office.
The T-Birds are now taking orders for Flex-24 Ticket packages. Fans that purchase the 24-Flex Ticket Package will be able to select any available premium seat for any game, in any ticket combination, during the 2018-19 season.
First period - 1, Seattle, Davidson 1 (Horon, Kubicek), 10:15. 2, Seattle, Kukuca 1 (Rybinski, Williams), 13:35. 3, Seattle, Morozoff 1 (Kukuca, Donohoe), 18:15. Penalties - Thurston, Kam (cross checking, major-fighting), 1:01. Kaluski, Sea (instigator, major-fighting, 10-minute misconduct), 1:01. Bauer, Sea (hooking), 14:37.
Second period - No scoring. Penalties - Williams, Sea (hooking), :34. Thurston, Kam (interference), 9:35. Mount, Sea (hooking), 10:26. Ciona, Sea (slashing), 19:00. Baragano, Kam (embellishment), 19:00. Bauer, Sea (interference), 19:32.
Third period - 4, Kamloops, Franklin 1 (Centazzo, Zary), :10 (pp). 5, Seattle, Mount 1 (Horon, Kubicek), 17:35. Penalties - Jeri-Leon, Sea (hooking), 4:20.
Shots on goal - Seattle 18-7-9 34, Kamloops 7-21-23 51. Goalies - Seattle, Ross 51 shots-50 saves (1-0-0-0); Kamloops, Garand 34-30 (0-2-0-0). Power plays - Seattle 0-1; Kamloops 1-5. A - 4,659. Referees - Ward Pateman, Bryan Bourdon. Linesmen - Michael McGowan, Ron Dietterle.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 22, 2019
- Sawchuk Snipes Twice as Oil Kings Make It Back-To-Back Wins vs. Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Rebels Struggle Offensively in 4-1 Road Loss to Oil Kings - Red Deer Rebels
- Nolan Foote returned to Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Day Hub: September 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Wheat Kings Double up Ice Saturday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Double up Winnipeg ICE 4-2 on Saturday Night - Winnipeg Ice
- Brkin Backstops Warriors to Win over Pats - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Blades Downed 1-0 in 2019 Merlin Ford Lincoln Home Opener - Saskatoon Blades
- Giants Complete Weekend Sweep of the Cougars with a 4-1 Victory - Vancouver Giants
- Hamaliuk beats the buzzer to lift the Rockets to victory - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Swept by Vancouver to Open Season - Prince George Cougars
- Wolf Shutout, Plenty of Offense Spell Silvertips Win - Everett Silvertips
- Tigers Split Season Opening Weekend - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Americans Close Opening Weekend with Loss to Portland - Tri-City Americans
- Kiviniemi's Overtime Winner Lifts Broncos over Hitmen - Swift Current Broncos
- Impressive Home Opening Win for the for the Hawks - Portland Winterhawks
- Rebels Drop Season Opener to Oil Kings, But Show Positive Signs - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Head Home with Three Points After OT Loss at Kelowna - Spokane Chiefs
- Ross Douses Blazers for T-Birds Home Opener Win - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Royals Blanked by Silvertips in Season Opener - Victoria Royals
- Bilous, Fonstad Lead Raiders to Win in Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Can't Hold off Swift Current in OT - Calgary Hitmen
- Oil Kings Open Regular Season with Win over Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Pats Rally but Fall to Moose Jaw - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Thunderbirds Stories
- Two T-Birds Selected in 2020 NHL Draft
- T-Birds and KIRO 7 TV Partner for Weekly Hockey 101 Series Starting Friday
- T-Birds Sign Sawyer Mynio
- T-Birds Select Samuel Knazko in First Round of CHL Import Draft
- Jordan Gustafson and Kevin Korchinski Named to Team Canada U-17 Development Camp