Game Day Hub: September 22
Portland Winterhawks vs. Kamloops Blazers After a dominant 6-1 win on Saturday night at the Moda Center, the Portland Winterhawks look to stay hot offensively against a Blazers team that is playing their third game in three straight nights.
Puck Drop: 5:00 p.m. PT
Venue: Moda Center (Portland, OR)
Listen Live: Winterhawks Radio Network and on the Winterhawks App
Watch Live: WHL Live
The Portland Winterhawks opened the 2019-20 regular season with a six goal performance. 2020 NHL Draft Prospects Cross Hanas (2G-2A), Simon Knak (G-2A) and Clay Hanus (2G) were represented as the three stars of the game last night.
Nine different Winterhawks recorded a point in the home opener and goaltender Joel Hofer stopped 17-of-18 shots in his first win of the season. Neither Hofer nor Isaiah DiLaura has played a game against Kamloops. Meanwhile, Dylan Garand has sparked with a .939 save percentage in two appearances against Portland. The Kamloops Blazers are a team to keep an eye on offensively as they return eight of their top ten scorers from a year ago and added perennial WHL Rookie of the Year candidate Logan Stankoven to their lineup as a 16 year old.
The Kamloops Blazers are ranked fifth (2nd in the WHL) on the CHL Top Ten rankings after going 7-0-0 during preseason play. They are still looking for their first win of the season and are 0-2-0 against the U.S. Division this weekend.
The Portland Winterhawks split the 2018-19 regular season series against Kamloops going 2-2-0-0. They are 10-0-1 against Kamloops at the Moda Center since 2005. This will be the first of four meetings between these two teams, with all four games taking place in the fall.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 22, 2019
- Sawchuk Snipes Twice as Oil Kings Make It Back-To-Back Wins vs. Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Rebels Struggle Offensively in 4-1 Road Loss to Oil Kings - Red Deer Rebels
- Nolan Foote returned to Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Day Hub: September 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Wheat Kings Double up Ice Saturday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Double up Winnipeg ICE 4-2 on Saturday Night - Winnipeg Ice
- Brkin Backstops Warriors to Win over Pats - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Blades Downed 1-0 in 2019 Merlin Ford Lincoln Home Opener - Saskatoon Blades
- Giants Complete Weekend Sweep of the Cougars with a 4-1 Victory - Vancouver Giants
- Hamaliuk beats the buzzer to lift the Rockets to victory - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Swept by Vancouver to Open Season - Prince George Cougars
- Wolf Shutout, Plenty of Offense Spell Silvertips Win - Everett Silvertips
- Tigers Split Season Opening Weekend - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Americans Close Opening Weekend with Loss to Portland - Tri-City Americans
- Kiviniemi's Overtime Winner Lifts Broncos over Hitmen - Swift Current Broncos
- Impressive Home Opening Win for the for the Hawks - Portland Winterhawks
- Rebels Drop Season Opener to Oil Kings, But Show Positive Signs - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Head Home with Three Points After OT Loss at Kelowna - Spokane Chiefs
- Ross Douses Blazers for T-Birds Home Opener Win - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Royals Blanked by Silvertips in Season Opener - Victoria Royals
- Bilous, Fonstad Lead Raiders to Win in Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Can't Hold off Swift Current in OT - Calgary Hitmen
- Oil Kings Open Regular Season with Win over Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Pats Rally but Fall to Moose Jaw - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.