Pats Rally but Fall to Moose Jaw
Regina, Saskatchewan - The Regina Pats comeback came up a goal short on Saturday night in a 5-3 loss in Moose Jaw to the Warriors.
In the first period, the Pats outshot Moose Jaw 18-10, but it was the Warriors who came out of the period with a 2-0 lead. First, Carson Denomie scored on the powerplay, just under eight minutes in to give Moose Jaw the lead. 1:06 later, Ryder Korczak potted his first to round out the scoring in the period. In the second, the Warriors added two more from Tate Popple and Keenan Taphorn and took a 4-0 advantage into the third. In the final frame, the Pats got back into the game with three straight goals. Sloan Stanick got it started with the first of his WHL career at 15:02. Then Riley Krane ripped home his first from the left-wing boards to draw the Pats within two with just under four minutes left in regulation. Robbie Holmes made it interesting with his first of the season with the net empty at 18:55 and it was 4-3. The Pats pressed for the tying goal after that but it was the Warriors who scored into the empty goal and took the two points in a 5-3 final score.
The Pats outshot the Warriors 46-24 in the loss, the powerplay was oh for two and the penalty kill went four for five, while Max Paddock made 19 saves.
The Pats (1-1-0-0) are back in action on Friday when they host the Prince Albert Raiders at 7 p.m. at the Brandt Centre.
Moose Jaw - Carson Denomie (2) from Daemon Hunt and Ryder Korczak - 7:42 PP.
Moose Jaw - Ryder Korczak (1) from Eric Alarie - 8:48.
Moose Jaw - Tate Popple (1) from Daniil Stepanov and Cade Hayes - 10:03.
Moose Jaw - Keenan Taphorn (2) from Eric Alarie and Cory King - 19:59.
Regina - Sloan Stanick (1) from Garrett Wright - 15:02.
Regina - Riley Krane (1) from Duncan Pierce - 16:12.
Regina - Robbie Holmes (1) from Austin Pratt - 18:55 6v5.
Moose Jaw - Carson Denomie (3) from Ryder Korczak and Daemon Hunt - 19:52 EN.
Shots on Goal
Regina 18-15-13-(46) Moose Jaw 10-10-4-(24)
Regina 0/2 Moose Jaw 1/5
- The Pats outshot the Warriors 76-46 on opening weekend.
- Sloan Stanick picked up his first career goal in the defeat.
- Sam McGinley and Blake Allan made their season debuts in the game.
The Pats are back in action on Friday when they host the Prince Albert Raiders at 7 p.m. at the Brandt Centre. The Pats will be hosting Childhood Cancer Awareness on Friday and will be giving away magnet schedules. Tickets are available at reginapats.com or the Brandt Centre Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 22, 2019
- Sawchuk Snipes Twice as Oil Kings Make It Back-To-Back Wins vs. Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Rebels Struggle Offensively in 4-1 Road Loss to Oil Kings - Red Deer Rebels
- Nolan Foote returned to Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Day Hub: September 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Wheat Kings Double up Ice Saturday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Double up Winnipeg ICE 4-2 on Saturday Night - Winnipeg Ice
- Brkin Backstops Warriors to Win over Pats - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Blades Downed 1-0 in 2019 Merlin Ford Lincoln Home Opener - Saskatoon Blades
- Giants Complete Weekend Sweep of the Cougars with a 4-1 Victory - Vancouver Giants
- Hamaliuk beats the buzzer to lift the Rockets to victory - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Swept by Vancouver to Open Season - Prince George Cougars
- Wolf Shutout, Plenty of Offense Spell Silvertips Win - Everett Silvertips
- Tigers Split Season Opening Weekend - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Americans Close Opening Weekend with Loss to Portland - Tri-City Americans
- Kiviniemi's Overtime Winner Lifts Broncos over Hitmen - Swift Current Broncos
- Impressive Home Opening Win for the for the Hawks - Portland Winterhawks
- Rebels Drop Season Opener to Oil Kings, But Show Positive Signs - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Head Home with Three Points After OT Loss at Kelowna - Spokane Chiefs
- Ross Douses Blazers for T-Birds Home Opener Win - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Royals Blanked by Silvertips in Season Opener - Victoria Royals
- Bilous, Fonstad Lead Raiders to Win in Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Can't Hold off Swift Current in OT - Calgary Hitmen
- Oil Kings Open Regular Season with Win over Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Pats Rally but Fall to Moose Jaw - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Regina Pats Stories
- Pats Store Headed to Cornwall Centre for Holiday Shopping Season
- Pats Join T's for Toys in Support of Eagle Heart Centre
- Tickets Now Available for Hockey Harvest Lottery
- Saskatchewan WHL Clubs Partner to Launch Hockey Harvest Lottery
- Pats acquire defenceman Tom Cadieux from Tri-City