Bilous, Fonstad Lead Raiders to Win in Saskatoon
Saskatoon, SK - Cole Fonstad scored the game's lone goal and Boston Bilous pitched a 26-save shutout as the Prince Albert Raiders (1-0-1-0) downed the Saskatoon Blades (1-1-0-0) 1-0 at SaskTel Centre on Saturday night.
The shutout was Bilous' second of his career and first since being acquired by the Raiders at the 2019 WHL Trade Deadline.
The Langley, BC product was strong all night and made a number of key saves throughout the game. He turned aside two chances from Chase Wouters and Riley McKay midway through the second. He also denied McKay on breakaways in the second and third period respectively.
That set the stage for Fonstad's goal with 7:58 to play. Washington Capitals prospect Aliaksei Protas gained the zone and dropped a pass for Fonstad. The Montreal Canadiens snapped a shot past Nolan Maier from the left faceoff circle for his first of the season.
The line of Fonstad, Protas, and Ozzy Wiesblatt generated chances all night for the Raiders, including quality wrap-around opportunities by Fonstad and Wiesblatt after breaking the deadlock.
Bilous kept the Blades at bay for the remainder of the game. Late in the third, the Raiders killed off a Blades' power play to wrap up the game and collect their first win of the season.
At the other end, Maier stopped 25 of 26 shots for the Blades.
The Raiders are off until Friday night when they head to Regina to take on the Pats (1-1-0-0) at the Brandt Centre. Game time is 7 p.m.
The next Raiders' home game is on Saturday, September 28 against the Winnipeg ICE (1-1-0-0). Puck drop is 7 p.m. Tickets are available at the Raiders Office and at raiderhockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 22, 2019
- Sawchuk Snipes Twice as Oil Kings Make It Back-To-Back Wins vs. Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Rebels Struggle Offensively in 4-1 Road Loss to Oil Kings - Red Deer Rebels
- Nolan Foote returned to Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Day Hub: September 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Wheat Kings Double up Ice Saturday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Double up Winnipeg ICE 4-2 on Saturday Night - Winnipeg Ice
- Brkin Backstops Warriors to Win over Pats - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Blades Downed 1-0 in 2019 Merlin Ford Lincoln Home Opener - Saskatoon Blades
- Giants Complete Weekend Sweep of the Cougars with a 4-1 Victory - Vancouver Giants
- Hamaliuk beats the buzzer to lift the Rockets to victory - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Swept by Vancouver to Open Season - Prince George Cougars
- Wolf Shutout, Plenty of Offense Spell Silvertips Win - Everett Silvertips
- Tigers Split Season Opening Weekend - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Americans Close Opening Weekend with Loss to Portland - Tri-City Americans
- Kiviniemi's Overtime Winner Lifts Broncos over Hitmen - Swift Current Broncos
- Impressive Home Opening Win for the for the Hawks - Portland Winterhawks
- Rebels Drop Season Opener to Oil Kings, But Show Positive Signs - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Head Home with Three Points After OT Loss at Kelowna - Spokane Chiefs
- Ross Douses Blazers for T-Birds Home Opener Win - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Royals Blanked by Silvertips in Season Opener - Victoria Royals
- Bilous, Fonstad Lead Raiders to Win in Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Can't Hold off Swift Current in OT - Calgary Hitmen
- Oil Kings Open Regular Season with Win over Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Pats Rally but Fall to Moose Jaw - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Prince Albert Raiders Stories
- Guhle Signs Entry-Level Contract with Canadiens
- Wiesblatt Signs Entry-Level Contract with Sharks
- Guhle, Wiesblatt Selected in First Round of 2020 NHL Draft
- Raiders Alumnus Draisaitl Wins Hart Memorial Trophy, Ted Lindsay Award at 2020 NHL Awards
- Raiders Launch Game Puck Package for Fans