Blades Downed 1-0 in 2019 Merlin Ford Lincoln Home Opener
Saskatoon, SK - A defensive quagmire saw the Saskatoon Blades (1-1-0-0) lose their first game of the 2019-20 Western Hockey League Regular Season as they were shut out by the Raiders (1-0-1-0) 1-0 on Saturday night.
The 2019 Merlin Ford Lincoln Home Opener saw Blades & Raiders fans turn out in great numbers to enjoy the pre-game festivities which included the opportunity to meet the Blades pre-game as well as special guest celebrities such as Paul Bissonnette & Wendel Clark during the intermissions.
However, the on-ice product was much less festive with the arch-rivals taking a combined total of 20 penalty minutes across the match and indulging in many post-whistle scrums.
The scoring deadlock was broken by the lone goal of the game, going to Prince Albert courtesy of a swift Cole Fonstad shot with 7:58 left to go in the hockey game.
The Raiders' netminder, Boston Bilous, was outstanding in net and made 26 saves on 26 shots faced. Nolan Maier was almost equally impressive, stopping 25 of the 26 shots he faced and keeping the Blades' in touch with the Raiders all night long.
Blades' Captain Chase Wouters lead the Blades with 5 shots on goal and had a very strong night in the face-off circle, winning 19 face-offs for Saskatoon. Meanwhile, overage F Ryan Hughes played his 250th career WHL game.
The Saskatoon Blades are back in action on next Friday, September 27th, against the Winnipeg ICE. The Blades bested the ICE, twice in the 2019 pre-season, to the scores of 4-3 and 6-2.
Single-Game Tickets are now on sale and kids tickets are just $5!
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 22, 2019
- Sawchuk Snipes Twice as Oil Kings Make It Back-To-Back Wins vs. Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Rebels Struggle Offensively in 4-1 Road Loss to Oil Kings - Red Deer Rebels
- Nolan Foote returned to Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Day Hub: September 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Wheat Kings Double up Ice Saturday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Double up Winnipeg ICE 4-2 on Saturday Night - Winnipeg Ice
- Brkin Backstops Warriors to Win over Pats - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Blades Downed 1-0 in 2019 Merlin Ford Lincoln Home Opener - Saskatoon Blades
- Giants Complete Weekend Sweep of the Cougars with a 4-1 Victory - Vancouver Giants
- Hamaliuk beats the buzzer to lift the Rockets to victory - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Swept by Vancouver to Open Season - Prince George Cougars
- Wolf Shutout, Plenty of Offense Spell Silvertips Win - Everett Silvertips
- Tigers Split Season Opening Weekend - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Americans Close Opening Weekend with Loss to Portland - Tri-City Americans
- Kiviniemi's Overtime Winner Lifts Broncos over Hitmen - Swift Current Broncos
- Impressive Home Opening Win for the for the Hawks - Portland Winterhawks
- Rebels Drop Season Opener to Oil Kings, But Show Positive Signs - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Head Home with Three Points After OT Loss at Kelowna - Spokane Chiefs
- Ross Douses Blazers for T-Birds Home Opener Win - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Royals Blanked by Silvertips in Season Opener - Victoria Royals
- Bilous, Fonstad Lead Raiders to Win in Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Can't Hold off Swift Current in OT - Calgary Hitmen
- Oil Kings Open Regular Season with Win over Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Pats Rally but Fall to Moose Jaw - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saskatoon Blades Stories
- MacInnes Shuts-Out Warriors in 4-0 Blades Victory
- Game Preview: Blades Seek Win in Final Home Game of November
- Blades Handed Reality-Check by Hitmen
- Game Preview: Blades Can Claim Season Series against Hitmen Tonight
- Two More Blades Named on Updated NHL Central Scouting 'Players to Watch' List