Tigers Split Season Opening Weekend
Medicine Hat, AB - The Medicine Hat Tigers split their WHL season opening weekend with rivals, the Lethbridge Hurricanes, after falling 3-1 at home Saturday night.
The Tigers were down 2-0 at the beginning of the third period when alternate captain Ryan Chyzowski dove to bury a rebound into the net to get the home team on the board. The Tabbies tried to rally back but were unable to get another one past Lethbridge netminder Bryan Thomson. Chyzowski's second goal of the season was assisted by Cole Sillinger and James Hamblin.
Alex Cotton scored the Hurricanes first period goal to give the visitors an early lead while Noah Boyko extended the lead to 2-0 late in the second stanza.
With less than two minutes remaining in the game, goaltender Mads Søgaard left his net to give the Tigers an extra attacker while they were pressuring for the game tying goal. Unfortunately. Hurricanes' Koletrane Wilson won the puck and passed it to Oliver Okuliar who was able to score on the Tigers' empty net to seal the 3-1 victory for the visitors.
Søgaard stopped 23 of 25 shots faced while Thomson turned aside 32 of the Tigers' 33 shots.
The Orange and Black are now 1-1-0-0 and they will play three games in three days next weekend. On Friday, the Tigers will travel to Innovation Credit Union i-Plex to take on the Swift Current Broncos before returning home Saturday to host the Broncos. On Sunday, the Tabbies will travel to Calgary to face the Hitmen in an afternoon tilt.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 22, 2019
- Sawchuk Snipes Twice as Oil Kings Make It Back-To-Back Wins vs. Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Rebels Struggle Offensively in 4-1 Road Loss to Oil Kings - Red Deer Rebels
- Nolan Foote returned to Rockets - Kelowna Rockets
- Game Day Hub: September 22 - Portland Winterhawks
- Wheat Kings Double up Ice Saturday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Wheat Kings Double up Winnipeg ICE 4-2 on Saturday Night - Winnipeg Ice
- Brkin Backstops Warriors to Win over Pats - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Blades Downed 1-0 in 2019 Merlin Ford Lincoln Home Opener - Saskatoon Blades
- Giants Complete Weekend Sweep of the Cougars with a 4-1 Victory - Vancouver Giants
- Hamaliuk beats the buzzer to lift the Rockets to victory - Kelowna Rockets
- Cougars Swept by Vancouver to Open Season - Prince George Cougars
- Wolf Shutout, Plenty of Offense Spell Silvertips Win - Everett Silvertips
- Tigers Split Season Opening Weekend - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Americans Close Opening Weekend with Loss to Portland - Tri-City Americans
- Kiviniemi's Overtime Winner Lifts Broncos over Hitmen - Swift Current Broncos
- Impressive Home Opening Win for the for the Hawks - Portland Winterhawks
- Rebels Drop Season Opener to Oil Kings, But Show Positive Signs - Red Deer Rebels
- Chiefs Head Home with Three Points After OT Loss at Kelowna - Spokane Chiefs
- Ross Douses Blazers for T-Birds Home Opener Win - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Royals Blanked by Silvertips in Season Opener - Victoria Royals
- Bilous, Fonstad Lead Raiders to Win in Saskatoon - Prince Albert Raiders
- Hitmen Can't Hold off Swift Current in OT - Calgary Hitmen
- Oil Kings Open Regular Season with Win over Rebels - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Pats Rally but Fall to Moose Jaw - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.