Nashville SC Acquires U.S. International and 2019 MLS Best XI Defender Walker Zimmerman in Record Breaking Deal
NASHVILLE - Nashville Soccer Club announced today that it has acquired defender Walker Zimmerman from Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) in exchange for $600,000 in 2020 General Allocation Money (GAM), $350,000 in 2021 GAM and a 2020 international roster spot. LAFC will receive an additional $150,000 in GAM in both 2020 and 2021, if Walker meets certain performance-based metrics.
"Walker Zimmerman is a player who we had our sights on when we first started to assemble this group, and we are very excited to add his on and off field abilities and leadership to our roster," said Nashville SC General Manager Mike Jacobs. "He has proven success at the domestic and national team levels and fits the mold of the kind of player and person that our club represents."
A mainstay in Major League Soccer, Zimmerman has made his mark around the league appearing in 165 matches across all competitions. The centerback is a 2019 MLS All-Star and Best XI, a two-time MLS Supporter's Shield winner (2016; FC Dallas and 2019; LAFC) and a Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Winner (2016; FC Dallas).
A Lawrenceville, Ga. Native, Zimmerman anchored an LAFC defense that posted the best goal differential in league history at plus 48, allowing the fewest goals in MLS in the 2019 season with 37 and leading the club to its first accolade in the MLS Supporter's Shield. During the summer he was selected to the MLS All-Star Game while starting at centerback against Spanish powerhouse Atlético de Madrid.
Zimmerman was originally selected by FC Dallas with the seventh overall pick in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft. In his rookie campaign, the defender made seven appearances with two goals. The 2016 season proved to be a breakout campaign for him, starting 30 matches in route to a Supporter's Shield year with Dallas. Zimmerman added a CONCACAF Champions League match start and three Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup starts to his portfolio.
FCD would go on to win all four matches he scored in and finished the season 15-7-8 in games he started. The centerback recorded 2,700 minutes played, a season high for the club and started both MLS Cup playoff matches against Seattle Sounders FC.
Zimmerman was acquired by LAFC from FC Dallas on Dec. 10, 2017, helping lead the 2018 expansion side by starting in 26 matches, logging four goals and registering two assists in 2,321 minutes of action. He also started in LAFC's first ever playoff game.
At the international level, the American has gained significant playing time for the United States Men's National Team since debuting in 2017 as a starter in a 1-0 shutout victory against Jamaica National Team. He has since earned 12 caps, 11 as a starter.
In January of 2018, Zimmerman was called into the U.S. Men's National Team Camp, becoming the first player in LAFC history to earn that honor. In 2019 the defender helped the USMNT reach the CONCACAF Gold Cup Final. Most recently, Zimmerman started for the United States in their 1-0 shutout victory over fellow Nashville SC teammate Randall Leal and Costa Rica on Feb. 1.
Zimmerman will be introduced to the fans for the first time at the Kickin' It Event with MLS Commissioner Don Garber, Nashville SC Owner Jon Ingram and CEO Ian Ayre this Thursday evening at Nashville Underground.
Tickets to Nashville SC's inaugural MLS match against Atlanta United FC, presented by Renasant Bank, are available through Season Ticket Memberships starting at just $425 ($25 per game) and through single game and group tickets. Be sure to secure your place in history with the best seats for Feb. 29 and throughout the inaugural season by visiting NashvilleSC.com/Tickets or calling 615-750-8800.
Transaction:â¯â¯Nashville SC acquires Defender Walker Zimmerman from LAFC in exchange for $600,000 in 2020 General Allocation Money (GAM), $350,000 in 2021 GAM and a 2020 international roster spot. LAFC will receive an additional $150,000 in GAM in both 2020 and 2021, if Walker meets certain performance-based metrics.
Birthdate:â¯ May 19, 1993
Hometown:â¯ Lawrenceville, GA
Last club: Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC)
How Acquired: Acquired from LAFC in exchanged for $600,000 in 2020 General Allocation Money (GAM), $350,000 in 2021 GAM and a 2020 international roster spot. LAFC will receive an additional $150,000 in GAM in both 2020 and 2021, if Walker meets certain performance-based metrics.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 11, 2020
- Real Salt Lake Signs Forward Justin Meram - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Loans Callum Montgomery to San Antonio FC - FC Dallas
- Impact Acquires Emanuel Maciel from San Lorenzo - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Roster Update from Preseason Camp in Mexico City - Seattle Sounders FC
- First-Ever Training Sessions at Inter Miami CF Training Complex - Inter Miami CF
- Training Camp Report: MLS Veterans Set the Standard as Nashville SC Continues to Build in Preseason - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy and YMCA of Metropolitan Los Angeles Kick off Landmark New Partnership - LA Galaxy
- Nashville SC Announces Founding MLS Member Program for Season Ticket Members Who Join Before February 29 - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer Launches "Our Soccer" Campaign for Historic 25th Season in 2020 - MLS
- Sounders FC 2020 Single-Match Tickets Now Available - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Acquire $150,000 in General Allocation Money from Montreal Impact - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Acquires up to $1.25 Million in Allocation Money from Nashville SC in Exchange for Walker Zimmerman - Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC Acquires U.S. International and 2019 MLS Best XI Defender Walker Zimmerman in Record Breaking Deal - Nashville SC
- Bacon and Beer Classic Returns to Earthquakes Stadium on April 4 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Impact Acquires International Roster Spot for 2020 Season - Montreal Impact
- Dynamo Legend Ricardo Clark to Sign One-Day Contract with Club Wednesday - Houston Dynamo
- New York Red Bulls Announce Roster for Second Preseason Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Tickets on Sale Now for Dynamo vs Cruz Azul Match March 27 - Houston Dynamo
- MNUFC Acquire Midfielder Raheem Edwards in Trade with Chicago Fire - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Defender Wyatt Omsberg from Minnesota United FC - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC Announces Founding MLS Member Program - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville SC Announces Off-Season Roster Moves
- Nashville SC Proud and Determined After 2020 Season Ends in Columbus
- Nashville SC's Walker Zimmerman Called up for International Duty
- Nashville SC Loses in Extra Time to Columbus Crew SC in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Faces off against Columbus Crew SC in Eastern Conference Semifinals