Dynamo Legend Ricardo Clark to Sign One-Day Contract with Club Wednesday
HOUSTON - Houston Dynamo legend Ricardo Clark will sign a one-day contract with the club on Wednesday, Feb. 12, allowing him to officially retire as a member of the Dynamo.
Clark will sign his contract at a press event at BBVA Stadium Wednesday at 1 p.m. CST. He will be joined by Dynamo Senior Vice President and General Manager, Matt Jordan and several of his former Dynamo teammates.
The Furman University product was a constant fixture in the Dynamo midfield for nearly a decade. Clark ends his Dynamo career ranked second in club history in games played (304), games started (286) and minutes played (25,319) in all competitions for the Dynamo.
Clark was selected second overall in the 2003 MLS College SuperDraft by the New York MetroStars. The defensive midfielder was traded to the San Jose Earthquakes in 2005 and reached the MLS Western Conference Semifinals. Clark and the Earthquakes relocated to Houston in 2006 and his play helped lead the club to MLS Cup championships in each of the Dynamo's first two years in Houston.
The Atlanta native was a three-time MLS All-Star with the Dynamo and named to the 2006 MLS Best XI. Clark's second stint with the club led to a Player's Player of the Year award in 2013. Clark would win the award again in 2015, the first of three club awards as he was named the Most Valuable Player and the Humanitarian of the Year for his work with Positive Passes.
At the international level, Clark earned 34 caps and scored three goals for the United States Men's National Team and represented the U.S. in the 2010 FIFA World Cup. He was also a crucial member of the squad that finished runner-up at the 2009 Confederations Cup and played a key role in helping the U.S. qualify for the 2010 World Cup. After making his international debut in 2005, he was named to the U.S. squad for the 2007 Concacaf Gold Cup and the 2007 Copa América.
The Dynamo will open the 2020 MLS regular season on Opening Day presented by BBVA against the LA Galaxy at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 29 at BBVA Stadium. Single-game tickets for Opening Day and all 2020 home games are now on sale at HoustonDynamo.com/Tickets on a first-come, first-served basis.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 11, 2020
- Real Salt Lake Signs Forward Justin Meram - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Loans Callum Montgomery to San Antonio FC - FC Dallas
- Impact Acquires Emanuel Maciel from San Lorenzo - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Roster Update from Preseason Camp in Mexico City - Seattle Sounders FC
- First-Ever Training Sessions at Inter Miami CF Training Complex - Inter Miami CF
- Training Camp Report: MLS Veterans Set the Standard as Nashville SC Continues to Build in Preseason - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy and YMCA of Metropolitan Los Angeles Kick off Landmark New Partnership - LA Galaxy
- Nashville SC Announces Founding MLS Member Program for Season Ticket Members Who Join Before February 29 - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer Launches "Our Soccer" Campaign for Historic 25th Season in 2020 - MLS
- Sounders FC 2020 Single-Match Tickets Now Available - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Acquire $150,000 in General Allocation Money from Montreal Impact - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Acquires up to $1.25 Million in Allocation Money from Nashville SC in Exchange for Walker Zimmerman - Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC Acquires U.S. International and 2019 MLS Best XI Defender Walker Zimmerman in Record Breaking Deal - Nashville SC
- Bacon and Beer Classic Returns to Earthquakes Stadium on April 4 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Impact Acquires International Roster Spot for 2020 Season - Montreal Impact
- Dynamo Legend Ricardo Clark to Sign One-Day Contract with Club Wednesday - Houston Dynamo
- New York Red Bulls Announce Roster for Second Preseason Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Tickets on Sale Now for Dynamo vs Cruz Azul Match March 27 - Houston Dynamo
- MNUFC Acquire Midfielder Raheem Edwards in Trade with Chicago Fire - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Defender Wyatt Omsberg from Minnesota United FC - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC Announces Founding MLS Member Program - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Dynamo Classic Rewind Series to Re-Broadcast Most Memorable Matches in Club History
- Major League Soccer and National Women's Soccer League Extend Training Moratoriums
- Kiki Struna Undergoes Successful Arthroscopic Surgery to Treat Left Knee
- BBVA Classic Between Houston Dynamo and Cruz Azul Postponed
- Houston Dynamo Issues Statement on Suspension of Major League Soccer Season