Real Salt Lake Signs Forward Justin Meram
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake has signed free agent forward Justin Meram ahead of the 2020 MLS season. The former Columbus Crew SC, Orlando City SC and Atlanta United winger and nine-year MLS veteran will join the team in training camp, bolstering the roster as RSL looks to improve on its third-place finish in the Western Conference in 2019.
"Justin is a versatile, accomplished attacking player in our league," Real Salt Lake General Manager Elliot Fall said. "He has proven year after year to be productive in multiple roles and that experience will provide excellent value to our young roster."
Meram, 31, has 43 goals and 37 assists in 243 career MLS regular season matches across nine seasons in the league. His top seasons came in 2016 when he had five goals and 13 assists and 2017 when he notched 13 goals and seven assists. From 2014-2017, he averaged 8 goals and 7.3 assists in 32.5 matches for Columbus before departing prior to the 2018 season. He also has three goals and two assists in 16 MLS Cup Playoff matches, three goals and five assists in 16 matches in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup and made two appearances in CONCACAF Champions League. Originally selected 15th overall in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft, he made his MLS debut in the 2010-11 CONCACAF Champions League Quarterfinals against Real Salt Lake.
Internationally, Meram made his debut for Iraq in 2014 and has since accrued 33 caps with four goals to his credit. Three of his four goals came in 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers.
Real Salt Lake finished the 2019 season third in the Western Conference at 16-13-5 (53 points) and advanced to the Western Conference Semifinals for the second consecutive season. RSL will open the 2020 season on the road against Orlando City SC on February 29 before returning to Rio Tinto Stadium for the home opener against the New York Red Bulls on Saturday, March 7, at 12 p.m. MT.
RSL is currently in the fourth leg of preseason training camp in Tucson, Arizona, preparing for the club's 16th season in Major League Soccer.
TRANSACTION: Signed free agent forward Justin Meram on February 11, 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 11, 2020
- Real Salt Lake Signs Forward Justin Meram - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Loans Callum Montgomery to San Antonio FC - FC Dallas
- Impact Acquires Emanuel Maciel from San Lorenzo - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Roster Update from Preseason Camp in Mexico City - Seattle Sounders FC
- First-Ever Training Sessions at Inter Miami CF Training Complex - Inter Miami CF
- Training Camp Report: MLS Veterans Set the Standard as Nashville SC Continues to Build in Preseason - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy and YMCA of Metropolitan Los Angeles Kick off Landmark New Partnership - LA Galaxy
- Nashville SC Announces Founding MLS Member Program for Season Ticket Members Who Join Before February 29 - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer Launches "Our Soccer" Campaign for Historic 25th Season in 2020 - MLS
- Sounders FC 2020 Single-Match Tickets Now Available - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Acquire $150,000 in General Allocation Money from Montreal Impact - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Acquires up to $1.25 Million in Allocation Money from Nashville SC in Exchange for Walker Zimmerman - Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC Acquires U.S. International and 2019 MLS Best XI Defender Walker Zimmerman in Record Breaking Deal - Nashville SC
- Bacon and Beer Classic Returns to Earthquakes Stadium on April 4 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Impact Acquires International Roster Spot for 2020 Season - Montreal Impact
- Dynamo Legend Ricardo Clark to Sign One-Day Contract with Club Wednesday - Houston Dynamo
- New York Red Bulls Announce Roster for Second Preseason Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Tickets on Sale Now for Dynamo vs Cruz Azul Match March 27 - Houston Dynamo
- MNUFC Acquire Midfielder Raheem Edwards in Trade with Chicago Fire - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Defender Wyatt Omsberg from Minnesota United FC - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC Announces Founding MLS Member Program - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Announces Coaching Staff Decisions
- Real Salt Lake Goalkeeper David Ochoa Called to U.S. National Team Camp
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2021 Roster Decisions
- Real Salt Lake Ends 2020 with 2-0 Defeat to Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2020 Club Award Winners