Chicago Fire FC Acquires Defender Wyatt Omsberg from Minnesota United FC
CHICAGO - Chicago Fire FC announced today that the Club has acquired defender Wyatt Omsberg from Minnesota United FC. In exchange, the Fire traded defender/midfielder Raheem Edwards to Minnesota United. Omsberg is under contract with Chicago through the 2021 season with a Club option for the 2022 season.
"Wyatt is a strong and imposing defender who will provide competition at the center back position," said Chicago Fire FC Head Coach Raphael Wicky. "I am looking forward to working with him and welcoming him to the team."
Omsberg, 24, was originally selected by Minnesota United as the No. 15 overall pick in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft. In his rookie season, Omsberg made seven appearances (four starts) for Minnesota in league play. He also made four appearances (four starts) on loan with FC Tulsa in the USL Championship in 2018. Most recently, Omsberg made 15 appearances (15 starts) with USL League One side Forward Madison FC in 2019.
Prior to beginning his professional career, Omsberg spent four years playing at Dartmouth College in the NCAA Ivy League. During his collegiate career, he was a two-time Ivy League Defensive Player of the Year and a three-time All-Ivy honoree. Serving as a co-captain during his senior year, Omsberg anchored a defense that allowed just 12 goals in the regular season.
The Fire will kick off the 2020 MLS season on the road versus reigning MLS Cup champion Seattle Sounders FC on March 1 at 2:00 p.m. CT (ESPN). Chicago will officially make its return to Soldier Field on Saturday, March 21 when the team hosts Atlanta United FC in its 2020 home opener at 2:30 p.m. CT (Univision).
Single-match tickets for the Fire's 2020 home opener are available now by calling 888-MLS-FIRE or by visiting ChicagoFireFC.com. Additionally, fans can reserve a seat at all 17 Fire home matches for as low as $15 per game with the purchase of a season-long ticket package.
Transaction: Chicago Fire FC acquires defender Wyatt Omsberg from Minnesota United FC in exchange for defender/midfielder Raheem Edwards.
Name: Wyatt Omsberg
Weight: 180 lbs.
Date of Birth: 09/21/1995
Hometown: Scarborough, Maine
Birthplace: Scarborough, Maine
Citizenship: United States of America
Last Club: Minnesota United FC
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 11, 2020
- Real Salt Lake Signs Forward Justin Meram - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Loans Callum Montgomery to San Antonio FC - FC Dallas
- Impact Acquires Emanuel Maciel from San Lorenzo - Club de Foot Montreal
- Sounders FC Roster Update from Preseason Camp in Mexico City - Seattle Sounders FC
- First-Ever Training Sessions at Inter Miami CF Training Complex - Inter Miami CF
- Training Camp Report: MLS Veterans Set the Standard as Nashville SC Continues to Build in Preseason - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy and YMCA of Metropolitan Los Angeles Kick off Landmark New Partnership - LA Galaxy
- Nashville SC Announces Founding MLS Member Program for Season Ticket Members Who Join Before February 29 - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer Launches "Our Soccer" Campaign for Historic 25th Season in 2020 - MLS
- Sounders FC 2020 Single-Match Tickets Now Available - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Acquire $150,000 in General Allocation Money from Montreal Impact - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Acquires up to $1.25 Million in Allocation Money from Nashville SC in Exchange for Walker Zimmerman - Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC Acquires U.S. International and 2019 MLS Best XI Defender Walker Zimmerman in Record Breaking Deal - Nashville SC
- Bacon and Beer Classic Returns to Earthquakes Stadium on April 4 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Impact Acquires International Roster Spot for 2020 Season - Club de Foot Montreal
- Dynamo Legend Ricardo Clark to Sign One-Day Contract with Club Wednesday - Houston Dynamo
- New York Red Bulls Announce Roster for Second Preseason Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Tickets on Sale Now for Dynamo vs Cruz Azul Match March 27 - Houston Dynamo
- MNUFC Acquire Midfielder Raheem Edwards in Trade with Chicago Fire - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Defender Wyatt Omsberg from Minnesota United FC - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC Announces Founding MLS Member Program - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires 17-Year-Old Colombian Forward Jhon Jader Duran
- Chicago Fire FC to Develop New Visual Identity, Including New Primary Crest
- Chicago Fire FC Defender/Midfielder Mauricio Pineda Called up to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team
- Chicago Fire FC Sign Mauricio Pineda to Multi-Year Contract Extension
- Chicago Fire FC Trades Midfielder Brandt Bronico to Charlotte FC