MNUFC Acquire Midfielder Raheem Edwards in Trade with Chicago Fire
GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. - Minnesota United announced today the club acquired Canadian midfielder Raheem Edwards from Chicago Fire FC via trade. MNUFC has traded defender Wyatt Omsberg to Chicago Fire FC. Edwards will occupy an international roster spot.
"We are adding another player with quality, top-rate work ethic and someone who is an experienced and versatile athlete," said Head Coach Adrian Heath. "As we looked at our roster this offseason we knew we needed to add players on the left of the pitch, and in particular at left-back. Raheem will be critical throughout the middle and end of our season with so many matches; League's Cup, U.S. Open Cup, players on international duty, as well as the Olympics. He knows the league well and he knows how to win, we saw that from him in his time in Toronto."
The 24-year-old midfielder joins the Loons after spending the last two seasons with Chicago Fire FC, where he made 17 total appearances with one goal and two assists. Edwards began his professional career as a member of Toronto FC II in 2015 before joining the first team in 2016. He scored one goal and tallied six assists in 21 league appearances during Toronto's MLS Cup-winning campaign in 2017. Edwards was selected by LAFC in the 2017 Expansion Draft, traded to the Montreal Impact soon after and made his debut in the season opener against the Vancouver Whitecaps.
Omsberg was selected 15th overall by MNUFC in the 2018 MLS SuperDraft from Dartmouth College, where he was a two-time Ivy League Defensive Player of the Year and three-time first-team All-Ivy honoree. Omsberg made his professional debut on March 24, 2018 against New York Red Bulls, playing all 90 minutes in a road loss for the shorthanded Loons. He went on loan for much of the 2018 season with Tulsa Roughnecks of USL. He started in all four appearances for the Roughnecks. Omsberg was once again sent on loan in 2019, joining Minnesota's affiliate club Forward Madison FC in USL League One. He made 15 appearances for the Mingos and returned to the Loons for one appearance in the 4-1 U.S. Open Cup win over Sporting Kansas City.
Tickets for the first half of the 2020 season at Allianz Field are on sale now at mnufc.com/tickets. Season ticket members, members of The Preserve and subscribers to the MNUFC newsletter will get access to special presales throughout the season before the general public. Visit mnufc.com/preserve for more info on The Preserve and mnufc.com/newsletter for more info on subscribing to the newsletter.
Transaction: Minnesota United acquires Canadian midfielder Raheem Edwards from Chicago Fire FC via trade in exchange for defender Wyatt Omsberg.
Born: 7.17.1995 (24 years old)
Weight: 148 lbs
Hometown: Toronto, Ontario
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 11, 2020
- Real Salt Lake Signs Forward Justin Meram - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Loans Callum Montgomery to San Antonio FC - FC Dallas
- Impact Acquires Emanuel Maciel from San Lorenzo - Club de Foot Montreal
- Sounders FC Roster Update from Preseason Camp in Mexico City - Seattle Sounders FC
- First-Ever Training Sessions at Inter Miami CF Training Complex - Inter Miami CF
- Training Camp Report: MLS Veterans Set the Standard as Nashville SC Continues to Build in Preseason - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy and YMCA of Metropolitan Los Angeles Kick off Landmark New Partnership - LA Galaxy
- Nashville SC Announces Founding MLS Member Program for Season Ticket Members Who Join Before February 29 - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer Launches "Our Soccer" Campaign for Historic 25th Season in 2020 - MLS
- Sounders FC 2020 Single-Match Tickets Now Available - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Acquire $150,000 in General Allocation Money from Montreal Impact - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Acquires up to $1.25 Million in Allocation Money from Nashville SC in Exchange for Walker Zimmerman - Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC Acquires U.S. International and 2019 MLS Best XI Defender Walker Zimmerman in Record Breaking Deal - Nashville SC
- Bacon and Beer Classic Returns to Earthquakes Stadium on April 4 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Impact Acquires International Roster Spot for 2020 Season - Club de Foot Montreal
- Dynamo Legend Ricardo Clark to Sign One-Day Contract with Club Wednesday - Houston Dynamo
- New York Red Bulls Announce Roster for Second Preseason Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Tickets on Sale Now for Dynamo vs Cruz Azul Match March 27 - Houston Dynamo
- MNUFC Acquire Midfielder Raheem Edwards in Trade with Chicago Fire - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Defender Wyatt Omsberg from Minnesota United FC - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC Announces Founding MLS Member Program - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.