LAFC Acquires up to $1.25 Million in Allocation Money from Nashville SC in Exchange for Walker Zimmerman
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) announced today that the Club has acquired $600,000 in 2020 General Allocation Money (GAM), $350,000 in 2021 GAM, and a 2020 international roster spot from Nashville SC in exchange for defender Walker Zimmerman. LAFC will receive an additional $150,000 in GAM in both 2020 and 2021, if Zimmerman meets certain performance-based metrics.
"In his two seasons in Los Angeles, Walker was a consummate professional and a great leader on and off the field," said LAFC EVP & General Manager John Thorrington. "He and his wife Sally played an integral role within the LAFC family and community, and he will always be a part of our history. On behalf of the Club, we wish Walker and his family nothing but the best in his future."
Zimmerman joined LAFC ahead of the Club's inaugural campaign in 2018 and started all 51 regular season games he appeared in. The 6-foot-3 center back tallied five goals and two assists in 4,490 minutes for the Black & Gold. In 2019, Zimmerman earned MLS Best XI and MLS All-Star selections for the first time in his career.
Prior to LAFC, Zimmerman played in 89 regular season games for FC Dallas, helping the team capture the 2016 MLS Supporters' Shield and Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup title. In seven seasons in MLS, Zimmerman has appeared in 140 matches (122 starts), registering 12 goals and three assists in 11,057 minutes.
Internationally, Zimmerman has 12 caps and two goals for the U.S. Men's National Team, most recently participating in the annual January camp earlier this year.
General Allocation Money (GAM) is money that is available to a club in addition to its salary budget. Each MLS club receives an annual allotment of GAM, funds strategically provided by the league to teams to add or retain players that will make an immediate impact on the field.
TRANSACTION: Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) acquires up to $1.25 million in General Allocation Money (GAM) and a 2020 international roster spot from Nashville SC in exchange for defender Walker Zimmerman.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 11, 2020
- Real Salt Lake Signs Forward Justin Meram - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Loans Callum Montgomery to San Antonio FC - FC Dallas
- Impact Acquires Emanuel Maciel from San Lorenzo - Montreal Impact
- Sounders FC Roster Update from Preseason Camp in Mexico City - Seattle Sounders FC
- First-Ever Training Sessions at Inter Miami CF Training Complex - Inter Miami CF
- Training Camp Report: MLS Veterans Set the Standard as Nashville SC Continues to Build in Preseason - Nashville SC
- LA Galaxy and YMCA of Metropolitan Los Angeles Kick off Landmark New Partnership - LA Galaxy
- Nashville SC Announces Founding MLS Member Program for Season Ticket Members Who Join Before February 29 - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer Launches "Our Soccer" Campaign for Historic 25th Season in 2020 - MLS
- Sounders FC 2020 Single-Match Tickets Now Available - Seattle Sounders FC
- Timbers Acquire $150,000 in General Allocation Money from Montreal Impact - Portland Timbers
- LAFC Acquires up to $1.25 Million in Allocation Money from Nashville SC in Exchange for Walker Zimmerman - Los Angeles FC
- Nashville SC Acquires U.S. International and 2019 MLS Best XI Defender Walker Zimmerman in Record Breaking Deal - Nashville SC
- Bacon and Beer Classic Returns to Earthquakes Stadium on April 4 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Impact Acquires International Roster Spot for 2020 Season - Montreal Impact
- Dynamo Legend Ricardo Clark to Sign One-Day Contract with Club Wednesday - Houston Dynamo
- New York Red Bulls Announce Roster for Second Preseason Camp - New York Red Bulls
- Tickets on Sale Now for Dynamo vs Cruz Azul Match March 27 - Houston Dynamo
- MNUFC Acquire Midfielder Raheem Edwards in Trade with Chicago Fire - Minnesota United FC
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Defender Wyatt Omsberg from Minnesota United FC - Chicago Fire
- Nashville SC Announces Founding MLS Member Program - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Statement on Positive Covid-19 Case
- LAFC Faces the Houston Dynamo Tomorrow at Banc of California Stadium
- LAFC Defeats Rival LA Galaxy 2-0 on Sunday at Banc of California Stadium
- LAFC Faces Rival LA Galaxy Tomorrow at Banc of California Stadium
- LAFC and Banc of California to Host Week-Long 'Banc of Resources' Virtual Content Series Beginning October 19