Nailers Eliminated in Brampton
BRAMPTON, ON - The Wheeling Nailers and Brampton Beast had their game go down to the final buzzer on Friday night, and unfortunately, when it sounded, the Nailers were eliminated from the 2018 Kelly Cup Playoffs. Brampton scored a pair of shorthanded goals in the first period, then added two more in the middle frame, before holding on to defeat Wheeling, 4-3 at Powerade Centre. Freddie Tiffels, Reid Gardiner, and Troy Josephs were the goal scorers for the Nailers.
The Nailers came out buzzing, and got the game's opening goal 3:13 into the first period. Cam Brown's initial shot got blocked, but Freddie Tiffels followed right behind him, roofing a wrist shot from the right circle. Unfortunately, the rest of the stanza went Brampton's way, who tied the score, then went ahead with a couple of shorthanded strikes. On the first goal, Erik Bradford sped down the right side, putting a shot on goal. Adam Morrison made the save, but the rebound kicked out to Brandon Marino, who converted from the left side of the slot. The second marker came courtesy of a strange bounce off of Brandon MacLean's tape.
The goals continued to fly in at a rapid rate in the middle frame. At the 1:25 mark, the Beast extended their lead. McLean's shot from the right circle got deflected to Luc-Olivier Blain, who turned the puck to his backhand, as he slid in the tally. Wheeling pulled to within one on a 4-on-4 goal. Brown and Tiffels teamed up to work the puck to Reid Gardiner, who banged in a one-timer from the low slot. Brampton's Scott Jacklin deposited a rebound goal at the 11:15 mark, before Matt Petgrave banked a puck into his own net, giving Troy Josephs a goal for the Nailers.
Neither team was able to light the lamp in the third period, as the Beast held on for the 4-3 win.
Chris Driedger backstopped the win for Brampton, turning away 41 of the 44 shots he faced. Adam Morrison suffered the loss for Wheeling, making 22 saves on 26 shots.
The Nailers will close out the 2017-18 regular season on Saturday night in Fort Wayne at 7:30 against the Komets. For information about 2018-19 season tickets, call (304) 234-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2018
- Grizzlies Win Before Another Big Crowd - Utah Grizzlies
- Eagles Net Four in the Third Period to Defeat Thunder, 7-4 - Colorado Eagles
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings - Quad City Mallards
- Frey Stellar in Shootout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Fall in OT against Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Clinch Playoffs for Ninth Season in a Row - Allen Americans
- Late Flurry from Gladiators Sends Solar Bears to 4-3 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cincinnati Halts Indy's Three Game Win Streak with 5-2 Triumph - Indy Fuel
- Rush Edge Oilers in a Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Clinch Kelly Cup Playoff Berth - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Score Two Late in Thrilling Fashion to Knock off Solar Bears - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rays Tie Franchise Wins Record in Sweep of Rabbits - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits Complete Home Finale against Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Clinch Home Ice in Round 1 with 3-2 Win over Monarchs - Adirondack Thunder
- MacLean Snipes from Distance as Beast Topple Nailers - Brampton Beast
- 'Blades Win Ninth Straight & Set Club Record for Points in 4-2 Win - Florida Everblades
- Near Miss for IceMen in Home Finale - Jacksonville IceMen
- Admirals Fall 6-2 in Home Finale - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers Eliminated in Brampton - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers Clinch Spot in the Kelly Cup Playoffs - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Topped by Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Thump Admirals, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Walleye Set Season Attendance Record - Toledo Walleye
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Atlanta Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Thunder Closes Regular Season with Pair in Colorado - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day Preview: Allen vs. Idaho - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Sign Curtis Miske - Orlando Solar Bears
- Chase Golightly: from the Rodeo to Reading - Reading Royals
- Dupont Named 2017-18 ECHL Sportsmanship Award Winner - Norfolk Admirals
- Norfolk's Dupont Receives 2017-18 ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers at Beast Game Day Snap Shot, April 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Home Finale Pits Swamp Rabbits against Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Worcester Railers Nominate Frankie DiChiara for ECHL Community Service Award - Worcester Railers HC
- Tickets on Sale for Dallas Stars 2018 Training Camp - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Day: Final Home Game Brings Royals to Town - Norfolk Admirals
- Gameday - Adirondack (39-23-3-4) vs. Manchester (34-26-4-4) - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, April 6 - Manchester Monarchs
- Beaudry Receives 2017-18 Community Service Award - Wichita Thunder
- Wichita's Beaudry Receives 2017-18 ECHL Community Service Award - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks at Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Back-To-Back with Admirals Concludes Regular Season - Reading Royals
- Florida Claims 2017-18 Brabham Cup - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.