Admirals Fall 6-2 in Home Finale
Norfolk, VA. - Reading scored the first five goals of the night as the Royals topped the Admirals 6-2 on Friday night in the Admirals home finale.
Reading got off to the hot start on Friday scoring three times in the opening period. Matt Willows got the visitors on the board in the opening period when he cut across the ice and wristed a shot low back to the far side, past Ty Reichenbach's blocker to give the Royals a 1-0 lead. Five minutes later Reading doubled the lead. Mark Bennett got loose in front of the net before deking his way around a sprawled-out Reichenbach to double the lead. Six minutes later the Royals struck again, to push the lead to 3-0 before the end of the opening stanza. With the lead and the man-advantage the Royals got back on the board. Michael Huntebrinker set up in the far corner and snapped off a quick pass to Ryan Penny in front of the net who one-touched the puck past Reichenbach and into the net. As the first horn sounded the Royals took a 3-0 lead into the intermission.
In the second period Reading extended the lead to 5-0 before the Admirals got on the board. With just over five minutes left in the middle frame the Admirals broke through Mark Dekanich and got on the board. Parked in front of the net Kenton Helgesen tipped home a Darik Angeli slap shot, cutting the lead to 5-1. Helgesen's fourth of the season broke the ice for the Admirals.
Norfolk got on the board again midway through the final period. On the power play Darik Angeli found a puck in front and sent it past Dekanich, cutting the lead to 5-2. Norfolk would keep the Royals within striking distance for the bulk of the period, before Reading pushed the lead back to four late in the period when Jack Riley found himself all alone in front of the net, and tucked the puck past Reichenbach. As the final horn sounded the Royals skated away with a 6-2 victory in the Admirals home finale.
Norfolk finished the regular season with a a record of 15-17-3-1 at home.
The Admirals conclude the season tomorrow night in Reading.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2018
- Grizzlies Win Before Another Big Crowd - Utah Grizzlies
- Eagles Net Four in the Third Period to Defeat Thunder, 7-4 - Colorado Eagles
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings - Quad City Mallards
- Frey Stellar in Shootout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Fall in OT against Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Clinch Playoffs for Ninth Season in a Row - Allen Americans
- Late Flurry from Gladiators Sends Solar Bears to 4-3 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cincinnati Halts Indy's Three Game Win Streak with 5-2 Triumph - Indy Fuel
- Rush Edge Oilers in a Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Clinch Kelly Cup Playoff Berth - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Score Two Late in Thrilling Fashion to Knock off Solar Bears - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rays Tie Franchise Wins Record in Sweep of Rabbits - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits Complete Home Finale against Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Clinch Home Ice in Round 1 with 3-2 Win over Monarchs - Adirondack Thunder
- MacLean Snipes from Distance as Beast Topple Nailers - Brampton Beast
- 'Blades Win Ninth Straight & Set Club Record for Points in 4-2 Win - Florida Everblades
- Near Miss for IceMen in Home Finale - Jacksonville IceMen
- Admirals Fall 6-2 in Home Finale - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers Eliminated in Brampton - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers Clinch Spot in the Kelly Cup Playoffs - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Topped by Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Thump Admirals, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Walleye Set Season Attendance Record - Toledo Walleye
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Atlanta Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Thunder Closes Regular Season with Pair in Colorado - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day Preview: Allen vs. Idaho - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Sign Curtis Miske - Orlando Solar Bears
- Chase Golightly: from the Rodeo to Reading - Reading Royals
- Dupont Named 2017-18 ECHL Sportsmanship Award Winner - Norfolk Admirals
- Norfolk's Dupont Receives 2017-18 ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers at Beast Game Day Snap Shot, April 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Home Finale Pits Swamp Rabbits against Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Worcester Railers Nominate Frankie DiChiara for ECHL Community Service Award - Worcester Railers HC
- Tickets on Sale for Dallas Stars 2018 Training Camp - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Day: Final Home Game Brings Royals to Town - Norfolk Admirals
- Gameday - Adirondack (39-23-3-4) vs. Manchester (34-26-4-4) - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, April 6 - Manchester Monarchs
- Beaudry Receives 2017-18 Community Service Award - Wichita Thunder
- Wichita's Beaudry Receives 2017-18 ECHL Community Service Award - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks at Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Back-To-Back with Admirals Concludes Regular Season - Reading Royals
- Florida Claims 2017-18 Brabham Cup - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Hartford Wolfpack Loan Forward Shawn McBride to Norfolk
- Three Second Period Goals Propel Florida to a 4-2 Win over Norfolk
- Admirals Slide Past Orlando Behind Halverson's 49 Saves
- Admirals Acquire Defenseman Coughlin from Maine
- Admirals Score First, But Fall to Everblades