Home Finale Pits Swamp Rabbits against Stingrays
The Greenville Swamp Rabbits (23-39-7-1), proud ECHL affiliate of the New York Rangers and the AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack, finish the regular season at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena tonight at 7 p.m. The Swamp Rabbits welcome back the South Carolina Stingrays (46-16-7-1) for the 12th and final meeting of the 2017-18 season. South Carolina took the 5-2 win last night while Greenville is looking for revenge during the final game in the Upstate this year.
As a thank you to the faithful fans in Greenville, the Swamp Rabbits are throwing out prizes all game long! Hundreds of gifts will be given out at every stoppage of play from over 50 local businesses. There are many ways to win tonight, but you must be at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena for the 7 p.m. puck drop. Tickets are on sale for just $10 at the box office or through the Swamp Rabbits office.
DOING HIS THING
Forward Caleb Herbert net a pair of goals last night, earning the fourth-year forward 22 goals in the campaign. The Bloomington, Minnesota native has averaged well over a point per game this season, leading the club with 49 points (22G, 27A) in 36 games. Last night was the sixth multi-goal game for Herbert and his 15th multi-point effort. The 6-foot skater has been one of the most dynamic scorer in the league this year, with the highest point per game average by any player with at least 30 games played.
HOME SWEET HOME
Rookie Johno May has earned his keep on home ice in the first six games of his pro career. In his first three games at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena, the Mahtomedi, Minnesota native has produced five points (1G, 4A). May's six points since signing with the Swamp Rabbits are more than he recorded in 36 games this season at American International College. The Yellow Jacket alum posted 60 points (22G, 38A) in four years at AIC. Out of the 430 rookies in the ECHL, May is one of just 20 players to have averaged a point per game.
LEAVING ON A HIGH NOTE
The Swamp Rabbits have been successful in the final game of the regular season, earning a 4-2-0-1 record since 2010. The Swamp Rabbits have won three consecutive home finales and have not dropped a game in regulation since 2013 against South Carolina.
Stingrays rookie Mason Mitchell joined the South Carolina roster on Mar. 30 from the Hershey Bears and has made an impact right away. The 6-foot-2 winger has tallied four goals in his first four games in the ECHL after posting just five points (1G, 4A) in 29 AHL games. The Edmonton, Alberta native entered the pro ranks by signing an entry level NHL contract with the Washington Capitals this summer. Mitchell played two seasons for the University of Alaska-Anchorage earning 26 points (15G, 11A) in 50 NCAA games.
Forward Caleb Herbert has notched nine points (6G, 3A) in five games against the Stingrays.
Only six skaters have played all 11 games in the intrastate rivalry (Joe Basaraba, Sean Flanagan, Chad Duchesne, Danny Federico, Patrick Gaul, and Joe Devin).
Wade Murphy has tallied three points (1G, 2A) in his last four games.
South Carolina leads the league with a 90.6% penalty kill and have notched 12 shorthanded goals.
Goaltender Parker Milner was named to the All-ECHL First Team after leading the ECHL with a 1.88 goals-against average and ranking third with a .929 save percentage.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2018
- Grizzlies Win Before Another Big Crowd - Utah Grizzlies
- Eagles Net Four in the Third Period to Defeat Thunder, 7-4 - Colorado Eagles
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings - Quad City Mallards
- Frey Stellar in Shootout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Fall in OT against Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Clinch Playoffs for Ninth Season in a Row - Allen Americans
- Late Flurry from Gladiators Sends Solar Bears to 4-3 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cincinnati Halts Indy's Three Game Win Streak with 5-2 Triumph - Indy Fuel
- Rush Edge Oilers in a Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Clinch Kelly Cup Playoff Berth - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Score Two Late in Thrilling Fashion to Knock off Solar Bears - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rays Tie Franchise Wins Record in Sweep of Rabbits - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits Complete Home Finale against Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Clinch Home Ice in Round 1 with 3-2 Win over Monarchs - Adirondack Thunder
- MacLean Snipes from Distance as Beast Topple Nailers - Brampton Beast
- 'Blades Win Ninth Straight & Set Club Record for Points in 4-2 Win - Florida Everblades
- Near Miss for IceMen in Home Finale - Jacksonville IceMen
- Admirals Fall 6-2 in Home Finale - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers Eliminated in Brampton - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers Clinch Spot in the Kelly Cup Playoffs - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Topped by Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Thump Admirals, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Walleye Set Season Attendance Record - Toledo Walleye
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Atlanta Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Thunder Closes Regular Season with Pair in Colorado - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day Preview: Allen vs. Idaho - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Sign Curtis Miske - Orlando Solar Bears
- Chase Golightly: from the Rodeo to Reading - Reading Royals
- Dupont Named 2017-18 ECHL Sportsmanship Award Winner - Norfolk Admirals
- Norfolk's Dupont Receives 2017-18 ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers at Beast Game Day Snap Shot, April 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Home Finale Pits Swamp Rabbits against Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Worcester Railers Nominate Frankie DiChiara for ECHL Community Service Award - Worcester Railers HC
- Tickets on Sale for Dallas Stars 2018 Training Camp - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Day: Final Home Game Brings Royals to Town - Norfolk Admirals
- Gameday - Adirondack (39-23-3-4) vs. Manchester (34-26-4-4) - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, April 6 - Manchester Monarchs
- Beaudry Receives 2017-18 Community Service Award - Wichita Thunder
- Wichita's Beaudry Receives 2017-18 ECHL Community Service Award - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks at Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Back-To-Back with Admirals Concludes Regular Season - Reading Royals
- Florida Claims 2017-18 Brabham Cup - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Swamp Rabbits Weekly #1 (2019-20)
- Resilient Effort Sends Swamp Rabbits Home with Win
- Greenville Swamp Rabbits Release Season Opening Roster
- Swamp Rabbits Watch Party on October 12 at Dave & Buster's
- Checkers Assign Lacroix to Swamp Rabbits; Roster Trimmed Down