Rush Edge Oilers in a Shootout
TULSA, OK - The Tulsa Oilers needed two wins and a lot of help this weekend to get into the Kelly Cup Playoffs, but fell 3-2 in a shootout to the Rapid City Rush on Friday at the BOK Center.
Rapid City took a 1-0 lead into the locker room after 20 minutes, as Peter Sivak scored late in the frame to break the scoreless deadlock. The Oilers outshot the Rush 14-8 in the frame, but Rapid City goaltender Christian Frey stopped all 14.
The Oilers tied the game, when Charlie Sampair cleaned up a rebound at the edge of the crease and lifted it over Frey to make it 1-1 early in the second period. Rapid City went back in front 2-1, when Alex Kromm blasted a shot from the point through a screen. The Rush carried that lead into the third period, as the Oilers needed to find a way to come back to win in order to keep their playoff hopes alive.
Sampair scored again, this time early in the third period, to tie the score at 2-2. Neither team could jump back in front, as the game went into overtime. After a scoreless five minute 3-on-3 period, Rapid City's Daniel Leavens scored the only goal in a three-round shootout to win the game for the Rush. Tulsa heavily outshot Rapid City 54-23, but Frey stopped 52 in the victory, while Devin Williams stopped 20 in the loss.
Tulsa finishes the regular season Saturday at 7:05pm against Rapid City at the BOK Center. There will be a pregame block party, featuring music, food and fun, starting at 4pm outside the BOK Center. Tickets are available for all three games by calling 918-632-7825 or visiting www.tulsaoilers.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2018
- Grizzlies Win Before Another Big Crowd - Utah Grizzlies
- Eagles Net Four in the Third Period to Defeat Thunder, 7-4 - Colorado Eagles
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings - Quad City Mallards
- Frey Stellar in Shootout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Fall in OT against Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Clinch Playoffs for Ninth Season in a Row - Allen Americans
- Late Flurry from Gladiators Sends Solar Bears to 4-3 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cincinnati Halts Indy's Three Game Win Streak with 5-2 Triumph - Indy Fuel
- Rush Edge Oilers in a Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Clinch Kelly Cup Playoff Berth - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Score Two Late in Thrilling Fashion to Knock off Solar Bears - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rays Tie Franchise Wins Record in Sweep of Rabbits - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits Complete Home Finale against Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Clinch Home Ice in Round 1 with 3-2 Win over Monarchs - Adirondack Thunder
- MacLean Snipes from Distance as Beast Topple Nailers - Brampton Beast
- 'Blades Win Ninth Straight & Set Club Record for Points in 4-2 Win - Florida Everblades
- Near Miss for IceMen in Home Finale - Jacksonville IceMen
- Admirals Fall 6-2 in Home Finale - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers Eliminated in Brampton - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers Clinch Spot in the Kelly Cup Playoffs - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Topped by Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Thump Admirals, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Walleye Set Season Attendance Record - Toledo Walleye
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Atlanta Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Thunder Closes Regular Season with Pair in Colorado - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day Preview: Allen vs. Idaho - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Sign Curtis Miske - Orlando Solar Bears
- Chase Golightly: from the Rodeo to Reading - Reading Royals
- Dupont Named 2017-18 ECHL Sportsmanship Award Winner - Norfolk Admirals
- Norfolk's Dupont Receives 2017-18 ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers at Beast Game Day Snap Shot, April 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Home Finale Pits Swamp Rabbits against Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Worcester Railers Nominate Frankie DiChiara for ECHL Community Service Award - Worcester Railers HC
- Tickets on Sale for Dallas Stars 2018 Training Camp - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Day: Final Home Game Brings Royals to Town - Norfolk Admirals
- Gameday - Adirondack (39-23-3-4) vs. Manchester (34-26-4-4) - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, April 6 - Manchester Monarchs
- Beaudry Receives 2017-18 Community Service Award - Wichita Thunder
- Wichita's Beaudry Receives 2017-18 ECHL Community Service Award - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks at Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Back-To-Back with Admirals Concludes Regular Season - Reading Royals
- Florida Claims 2017-18 Brabham Cup - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.