Gameday Report: Mavericks at Grizzlies
INDEPENDENCE, Mo. - The Kansas City Mavericks look to remain alive in the playoff race as they take on the Utah Grizzlies Friday at 8:05 p.m. CT.
The game is the first of two games this weekend to close out the regular season slate.
Kansas City Mavericks (34-31-3-2) at Utah Grizzlies (26-29-9-6)
8:05 p.m. CT
Maverik Center | West Valley City, Utah
So You're Saying There's A Chance
The Mavericks remain alive in the playoff race, though the team will need some help if they are to find a way into the second season. If tie break scenarios do not change, KC can be eliminated from contention tonight with an Indy win or a point from the Kalamazoo Wings against Quad City. To get in, the Mavericks need to win both games this weekend, have Indy go winless with no more than one game going past 60 minutes and have Kalamazoo not register a point until a win on Sunday.
Alber, Cooper Set Career Bests
Mark Cooper was brought in to KC in the offseason after tallying 42 points with the Rapid City Rush last year, finishing second on the Rush roster in scoring. He has bested that total this season with two games to go, now at 46 points on 22 goals and 24 assists. Patch Alber, meanwhile, has put together a strong season in the offensive end in his own right, hitting the 40-point mark with five goals and 35 helpers on the year.
Utah Limping to the Finish
The Grizzlies come into tonight's game with a 1-6-3-0 record over the team's last 10 games, the worst record in the ECHL in that span. Additionally, Utah enters tonight's game with a sub-.500 record at home, claiming a season record of 12-15-3-4 at the Maverik Center on the season.
On The Road Again
The Mavericks hit the road to close out the regular season, beginning the two-game stint with a record of 16-15-3-0 in road games on the year. Most recently the Mavericks went 1-2-1-0 in a four-game road trip to close the month of March.
How to Follow
For lines, goals and period recaps, follow the Mavericks on Twitter at @KC_Mavericks. For play-by-play updates, follow @KCMavsGameday. Bob Rennison's radio call is available through the team's free mobile app and on KCMavericks.com. A stream of the game is available via the subscription service, ECHL.TV.
The Mavericks conclude their regular season slate with a Saturday night showdown at Utah.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2018
- Grizzlies Win Before Another Big Crowd - Utah Grizzlies
- Eagles Net Four in the Third Period to Defeat Thunder, 7-4 - Colorado Eagles
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings - Quad City Mallards
- Frey Stellar in Shootout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Fall in OT against Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Clinch Playoffs for Ninth Season in a Row - Allen Americans
- Late Flurry from Gladiators Sends Solar Bears to 4-3 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cincinnati Halts Indy's Three Game Win Streak with 5-2 Triumph - Indy Fuel
- Rush Edge Oilers in a Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Clinch Kelly Cup Playoff Berth - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Score Two Late in Thrilling Fashion to Knock off Solar Bears - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rays Tie Franchise Wins Record in Sweep of Rabbits - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits Complete Home Finale against Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Clinch Home Ice in Round 1 with 3-2 Win over Monarchs - Adirondack Thunder
- MacLean Snipes from Distance as Beast Topple Nailers - Brampton Beast
- 'Blades Win Ninth Straight & Set Club Record for Points in 4-2 Win - Florida Everblades
- Near Miss for IceMen in Home Finale - Jacksonville IceMen
- Admirals Fall 6-2 in Home Finale - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers Eliminated in Brampton - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers Clinch Spot in the Kelly Cup Playoffs - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Topped by Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Thump Admirals, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Walleye Set Season Attendance Record - Toledo Walleye
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Atlanta Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Thunder Closes Regular Season with Pair in Colorado - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day Preview: Allen vs. Idaho - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Sign Curtis Miske - Orlando Solar Bears
- Chase Golightly: from the Rodeo to Reading - Reading Royals
- Dupont Named 2017-18 ECHL Sportsmanship Award Winner - Norfolk Admirals
- Norfolk's Dupont Receives 2017-18 ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers at Beast Game Day Snap Shot, April 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Home Finale Pits Swamp Rabbits against Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Worcester Railers Nominate Frankie DiChiara for ECHL Community Service Award - Worcester Railers HC
- Tickets on Sale for Dallas Stars 2018 Training Camp - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Day: Final Home Game Brings Royals to Town - Norfolk Admirals
- Gameday - Adirondack (39-23-3-4) vs. Manchester (34-26-4-4) - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, April 6 - Manchester Monarchs
- Beaudry Receives 2017-18 Community Service Award - Wichita Thunder
- Wichita's Beaudry Receives 2017-18 ECHL Community Service Award - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks at Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Back-To-Back with Admirals Concludes Regular Season - Reading Royals
- Florida Claims 2017-18 Brabham Cup - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.