Royals Thump Admirals, 6-2
Norfolk, VA- The Reading Royals came out on fire with the first five goals and manhandled the Norfolk Admirals, 6-2, Friday at the Norfolk Scope. The win clinches a top-three seed in the North Division. Linemates Matt Wilkins (1g, 2a), Matt Willows (1g, 2a) and Chris McCarthy (3a) led the team with three points. Michael Huntebrinker (1g, 1a) became the 9th Royals rookie to hit 20 goals in a season with his second-period strike. Jack Riley (1g, 1a) scored his first professional goal with 1:11 left.
Matt Willows tallied on the team's first shot, becoming the 8th Royals player to hit 70 points in a season. Mark Bennett scored five minutes later (8:30 of first) and Ryan Penny slammed in a power-play goal in the last half of the frame. At the end of one, the Royals led, 3-0. In the second, Wilkins and Huntebrinker tallied.
Mark Dekanich moved to 3-0-0-0 in the season series with 20 denials. Ty Reichenbach surrendered six on 34 attempts.
Royals Kelly Cup Playoff Tickets are now on sale! Call 610-898-7825 and the Royals will offer curbside service to deliver your tickets next to the Lion's Den Team Store near the corner of Penn Street and 8th Avenue.
The Royals complete the regular season with FANdemonium on Sat., Apr. 7 at 7:00 p.m. vs. Norfolk and the Royals are giving out prizes at every whistle. Plus, the first 2,500 fans receive a Royals rally towel, presented by Tower Health.
Willows provided his 31st of the season at 3:19 of the first on a tic-tac-toe setup. Wilkins drove up the gut and fed McCarthy at the right circle. Without hesitating, McCarthy one-touched it to Willows at the left slot. The right-handed shot aimed and sniped it over the glove hand.
The Royals struck again at 8:30 of the first. Riley flung it from the right corner to Bennett at the slot. The forward quickly reversed from his backhand to his forehand and potted his 4th Royals goal.
A power-play goal with 5:55 left in the first created a three-goal edge. Standing at the right corner, Huntebrinker tossed it to Penny all alone at the left doorstep. He jammed it in for his 16th of the season. Steven Swavely had the secondary assist.
With 12:15 to go in the second, the Royals offense churned again with two quick strikes. First, Wilkins one-timed a slot shot past Reichenbach's upper body to provide a 4-0 lead. McCarthy narrated it to Matt Willows, who drove the left lane and curled it to Wilkins.
Next, a 2-on-1 rush 1:35 later resulted in a five-goal advantage. Huntebrinker received a pass from Wilkins and deposited a shot to the top left shelf from between the circles. Zajac had the secondary assist.
Kenton Helgesen snapped Reading's momentum with a goal at 14:55 of the second. He deflected a shot attempted by Darik Angeli from the right point. Angeli scored his 24th of the season with 9:34 to go on the power play. Reading was 1-for-4 on the man up and killed off one of Norfolk's two chances.
Riley scored his first professional goal with a drag at the left post to make it 6-2 Reading with less than two minutes to go. He cradled, kicked it to his forehand and twisted it by the netminder. McCarthy and Willows assisted.
2018 Kelly Cup Playoffs Tickets On Sale
Lock down your Kelly Cup Playoff tickets by calling 610-898-7825. A Royals team member will provide you with curbside service outside the Lion's Den Team Store at the corner of 8th and Penn Street; just call 610-898-7825 and we will deliver your tickets without leaving your car.
The Royals are offering five playoff vouchers for $85. Use the five vouchers at any home playoff games!
Miniplans available for 2018-19!
Call 610-898-7825 to learn more about 9, 12 and 18 game mini-plans for the 2018-19 season!
2018-19 season tickets now available
Top full-season benefits include: exclusive Reading Hockey Club per seat gift, discounted rate off regular ticket prices, ticket exchange, preseason meet and greet, exclusive season ticket holder events, advanced entry and a chance to win and the Royals Owner's Suite for a game. Call 610-898-7825 and visit to join the Royals family or renew season tickets for the 2018-19 season. Visit royalshockey.com/tickets/season-tickets to learn more.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2018
- Grizzlies Win Before Another Big Crowd - Utah Grizzlies
- Eagles Net Four in the Third Period to Defeat Thunder, 7-4 - Colorado Eagles
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings - Quad City Mallards
- Frey Stellar in Shootout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Fall in OT against Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Clinch Playoffs for Ninth Season in a Row - Allen Americans
- Late Flurry from Gladiators Sends Solar Bears to 4-3 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cincinnati Halts Indy's Three Game Win Streak with 5-2 Triumph - Indy Fuel
- Rush Edge Oilers in a Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Clinch Kelly Cup Playoff Berth - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Score Two Late in Thrilling Fashion to Knock off Solar Bears - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rays Tie Franchise Wins Record in Sweep of Rabbits - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits Complete Home Finale against Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Clinch Home Ice in Round 1 with 3-2 Win over Monarchs - Adirondack Thunder
- MacLean Snipes from Distance as Beast Topple Nailers - Brampton Beast
- 'Blades Win Ninth Straight & Set Club Record for Points in 4-2 Win - Florida Everblades
- Near Miss for IceMen in Home Finale - Jacksonville IceMen
- Admirals Fall 6-2 in Home Finale - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers Eliminated in Brampton - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers Clinch Spot in the Kelly Cup Playoffs - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Topped by Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Thump Admirals, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Walleye Set Season Attendance Record - Toledo Walleye
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Atlanta Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Thunder Closes Regular Season with Pair in Colorado - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day Preview: Allen vs. Idaho - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Sign Curtis Miske - Orlando Solar Bears
- Chase Golightly: from the Rodeo to Reading - Reading Royals
- Dupont Named 2017-18 ECHL Sportsmanship Award Winner - Norfolk Admirals
- Norfolk's Dupont Receives 2017-18 ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers at Beast Game Day Snap Shot, April 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Home Finale Pits Swamp Rabbits against Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Worcester Railers Nominate Frankie DiChiara for ECHL Community Service Award - Worcester Railers HC
- Tickets on Sale for Dallas Stars 2018 Training Camp - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Day: Final Home Game Brings Royals to Town - Norfolk Admirals
- Gameday - Adirondack (39-23-3-4) vs. Manchester (34-26-4-4) - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, April 6 - Manchester Monarchs
- Beaudry Receives 2017-18 Community Service Award - Wichita Thunder
- Wichita's Beaudry Receives 2017-18 ECHL Community Service Award - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks at Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Back-To-Back with Admirals Concludes Regular Season - Reading Royals
- Florida Claims 2017-18 Brabham Cup - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.