Grizzlies Win Before Another Big Crowd
West Valley City, Utah - The Utah Grizzlies defeated the Kansas City Mavericks 6-5 in overtime Friday night before 8,035 fans.
Grizzlies captain Ryan Walters ended the game with his 29th goal of the season 2:54 into overtime.
"We are playing for pride at this moment and we are playing for the fans; they have been here all year, supporting us and showing us a lot of love," said Head Coach/General Manager Tim Branham.
"Over 8 thousand again here at the Maverik Center, can't say enough about that."
Kyle Thomas led Utah with two goals and two assists. James Melindy, Walters and Jake Marchment all had one goal and one assist.
"Walters came through and got the game-winner, that was huge," said Branham. "Kyle Thomas played a great game obviously with 4 points. At the very least, we put on a good show for the fans."
The Grizzlies led 1-0 and 5-3 while the Mavericks held 2-1 and 3-2 leads in the third period.
Utah recorded 16 shots in the first period and scored on Thomas' 13 of the year as he fired from the slot on a feed from Michael Pelech as Travis Howe also added an assist. Kansas City scored with 1:16 left in the frame to tie the contest.
"We have to find a way to play for 60 minutes, but definitely proud of the effort and proud that we found a way to win in overtime," said Branham.
The Mavericks took a 2-1 lead 6:18 into the second before Kyle Thomas (14) tied with another goal 9:22 later. Kansas City took the lead 15 seconds after that before James Melindy (3) banged in a Mitch Jones blast off of the back wall to again tie the game with 57 seconds left in the frame.
Utah took a 5-3 lead with two goals in 55 seconds in the first 1:28 of the third period as Marchment (17) and Brendan Harms (13) scored.
Joel Rumpel stopped 24 of 29 shots to improve to 18-13-2-2.
Saturday is the Grizzlies Home Finale to wrap up Fan Appreciation Weekend, which is Free Seat Upgrade Weekend. A Party Plaza ticket will become a Corner Plaza seat, a Corner Plaza ticket will become a Center Plaza Seat and a Center Plaza Seat will become a Rinkside seat, based on availability when purchasing tickets at the Maverik Center Box Office or UtahGrizzlies.com. In addition, Saturday is a Team Poster Giveaway and get it signed by the entire team after the game.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2018
- Grizzlies Win Before Another Big Crowd - Utah Grizzlies
- Eagles Net Four in the Third Period to Defeat Thunder, 7-4 - Colorado Eagles
- Mallards Battle from Behind for 5-4 Shootout Victory over Wings - Quad City Mallards
- Frey Stellar in Shootout Win - Rapid City Rush
- Mavericks Fall in OT against Utah - Kansas City Mavericks
- Americans Clinch Playoffs for Ninth Season in a Row - Allen Americans
- Late Flurry from Gladiators Sends Solar Bears to 4-3 Loss - Orlando Solar Bears
- Cincinnati Halts Indy's Three Game Win Streak with 5-2 Triumph - Indy Fuel
- Rush Edge Oilers in a Shootout - Tulsa Oilers
- Cyclones Clinch Kelly Cup Playoff Berth - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Gladiators Score Two Late in Thrilling Fashion to Knock off Solar Bears - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rays Tie Franchise Wins Record in Sweep of Rabbits - South Carolina Stingrays
- Swamp Rabbits Complete Home Finale against Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Thunder Clinch Home Ice in Round 1 with 3-2 Win over Monarchs - Adirondack Thunder
- MacLean Snipes from Distance as Beast Topple Nailers - Brampton Beast
- 'Blades Win Ninth Straight & Set Club Record for Points in 4-2 Win - Florida Everblades
- Near Miss for IceMen in Home Finale - Jacksonville IceMen
- Admirals Fall 6-2 in Home Finale - Norfolk Admirals
- Nailers Eliminated in Brampton - Wheeling Nailers
- Worcester Railers Clinch Spot in the Kelly Cup Playoffs - Worcester Railers HC
- Monarchs Topped by Thunder, 3-2 - Manchester Monarchs
- Royals Thump Admirals, 6-2 - Reading Royals
- Walleye Set Season Attendance Record - Toledo Walleye
- Game Preview: Orlando Solar Bears at Atlanta Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - April 6 - ECHL
- Thunder Closes Regular Season with Pair in Colorado - Wichita Thunder
- Game Day Preview: Allen vs. Idaho - Allen Americans
- Cyclones Game Notes: vs. Indy - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Solar Bears Sign Curtis Miske - Orlando Solar Bears
- Chase Golightly: from the Rodeo to Reading - Reading Royals
- Dupont Named 2017-18 ECHL Sportsmanship Award Winner - Norfolk Admirals
- Norfolk's Dupont Receives 2017-18 ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Mallards Game Day - Quad City Mallards
- Steelheads Game Day Storylines at Allen - Idaho Steelheads
- Nailers at Beast Game Day Snap Shot, April 6 - Wheeling Nailers
- Home Finale Pits Swamp Rabbits against Stingrays - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Worcester Railers Nominate Frankie DiChiara for ECHL Community Service Award - Worcester Railers HC
- Tickets on Sale for Dallas Stars 2018 Training Camp - Idaho Steelheads
- Game Day: Final Home Game Brings Royals to Town - Norfolk Admirals
- Gameday - Adirondack (39-23-3-4) vs. Manchester (34-26-4-4) - Adirondack Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule, April 6 - Manchester Monarchs
- Beaudry Receives 2017-18 Community Service Award - Wichita Thunder
- Wichita's Beaudry Receives 2017-18 ECHL Community Service Award - ECHL
- Gameday Report: Mavericks at Grizzlies - Kansas City Mavericks
- Back-To-Back with Admirals Concludes Regular Season - Reading Royals
- Florida Claims 2017-18 Brabham Cup - ECHL
- ECHL Announces Fine, Suspension - ECHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.