Monsters Fall to Rocket in Seven-Round Shootout, 3-2
LAVAL, QC - The AHL's Cleveland Monsters picked up a point in a 3-2 shootout loss to the Laval Rocket on Tuesday night at Place Bell. With the loss, the Monsters are now 12-11-1-2 and are currently in seventh place in the AHL's North Division standings with 27 points.
Cleveland began the game with a power-play goal from Nathan Gerbe at 5:18 of the opening frame with assists by Adam Clendening and Kevin Stenlund. The Monsters doubled the lead heading into the first intermission after a marker from Stenlund at 14:36 with helpers from Gerbe and Markus Hannikainen.
The Rocket scored 9:48 into the middle frame after Dale Weise's tally, but the Monsters kept control of the 2-1 lead heading into the final intermission.
Laval tied the game 2-2 after Charles Hudon converted on a man-advantage opportunity at 16:12 of the third period forcing the game into extra time. Following a scoreless overtime period, Stefan Matteau and Marko Dano scored in the third and fourth rounds of the shootout, but Laval's Hudon and Michael Pezzetta responded in the same rounds with Weise recording the game-winning tally in the seventh round.
Veini Vehvilainen made 28 saves in the loss while Laval's Charlie Lindgren stopped 21 pucks for the win.
The Monsters return home to face off against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins on Friday night with a 7:00 p.m. puck drop at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. Follow the games with full coverage on ALT 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters left wing Nathan Gerbe shoots against the Laval Rocket
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 10, 2019
- Admirals Post 56 Shots in 2-1 OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Fall to Rocket in Seven-Round Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Pucks and Paws Day Set for December 29 - San Jose Barracuda
- Iowa Wild Announces Signings - Iowa Wild
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Weekly: Vanecek Shines, Bears Complete Perfect Week - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Paul Relishing Full-Time NHL Opportunity - Belleville Senators
- Colorado Completes Series of Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- Wolf Pack Return Shawn McBride to Norfolk - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Flames Recall Matthew Phillips - Stockton Heat
- Kelly Klima Returns to Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Weekly: Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Takes to the Road for Games against North Division - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Cory Conacher to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Detroit Assigns Madison Bowey to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Derek Carr Youth Jersey Giveaway Highlights Condors Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- San Diego Gulls to Participate in 25th Annual Shop with a Jock Tonight - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Announce Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Start Six-Game Road Trip in California - Grand Rapids Griffins
- 2020 Home Schedule to Feature North Division Rivalries - Belleville Senators
- Jets Assign Mason Appleton to Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Stars Appoint Neil Graham as Texas Stars Head Coach - Texas Stars
- Amerks Weekly - Rochester Americans
- Game 24 Preview: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Columbus Blue Jackets Announce Roster Moves Prior to Start of 2020-21 Season
- Monsters and Physicians Ambulance Join Together for Season of Giving
- Monsters Announce New Television Program on SportsTime Ohio, Monsters OT, Presented by University Hospitals Sports Medicine
- Monsters Sign Forward Carson Meyer to AHL Contract
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Thomas Schemitsch to AHL Contract