Wed., Dec. 4 - Crunch vs. Charlotte - L, 5-1 Fri., Dec. 6 - Crunch vs. Laval - W, 5-2 Sat., Dec. 7 - Crunch vs. Bridgeport - W, 5-2
Wed., Dec. 11 - Crunch at Providence - 6:05 p.m. Fri., Dec. 13 - Crunch at Charlotte - 7 p.m. Sat., Dec. 14 - Crunch at Charlotte - 6 p.m.
Crunch respond with two wins in Week 10
The Crunch hosted three games in Week 10, capping the week with back-to-back wins to open December with two wins in three games. They kept pace in the North Division, improving to 13-9-2-0 and sitting in sixth place with 28 points.
After dropping the opening game of the week to Charlotte, 5-1, to begin the homestand, the Crunch skated away with two straight 5-2 wins over Laval and Bridgeport. It was the first time this season the Crunch have scored at least five goals in back-to-back games; they accomplished that four times in 2018-19. In Saturday's win, Cameron Gaunce sparked the team's ninth annual Stanley Steemer Tired Teddy Toss, which netted a team record 4,895 stuffed animals.
The Crunch turn their attention to a four-game road trip, which begins with three matches in Week 11.
Third-year-pro Alex Volkov had his breakout game Saturday night. He matched his career high with four points (1g, 3a) and he scored his first goal of the season on a shorthanded breakaway.
The Russian winger has tallied 23 goals in each of his first two AHL seasons. In 14 games this season, Volkov has nine points (1g, 8a); through Dec. 10 last season, he had six goals-including three empty-netters-in 21 games.
Taylor Raddysh logged his first career multi-goal game Saturday night on the way to a three-point game. The second-year-pro's fourth and fifth goals give him 12 points (5g, 7a) in 24 games. Last year, the rookie had 46 points (18g, 28a) in 70 games.
Raddysh has dominated teams from Connecticut; he has combined for eight points (3g, 5a) in four games against Hartford and Bridgeport.
Call him captain
Defenseman Luke Witkowski was named Syracuse Crunch captain for the second time in his career last Thursday. His first stint came in the 2016-17 season, when he held the "C" until his permanent recall to Tampa Bay at the turn of the calendar. The veteran was selected captain through a vote by the players.
Head coach Ben Groulx later announced six rotating alternate captains among Cory Conacher, Cameron Gaunce, Chris Mueller, Daniel Walcott, Danick Martel and Ross Colton.
Stephens gets the call
Mitchell Stephens earned his first NHL recall Monday morning. The 22-year-old went on to make his NHL debut for the Tampa Bay Lightning that night at home against the New York Islanders.
The Peterborough, Ontario native becomes the 59th player-the fourth this season-to make the jump from Syracuse to Tampa Bay during the affiliation. He joins Carter Verhaeghe and Alex Volkov as the players to make their NHL debuts this season. Stephens has skated in 131 career AHL games, logging 76 points.
Upcoming: Providence, Charlotte
The Crunch begin a four-game, eight-day road trip with three games in Week 11.
The Crunch's voyage begins Wednesday night in Providence with their first match of the season against the Providence Bruins. Last season, the Bruins were the only team on the Crunch's schedule to go unbeaten against Syracuse. This season, the Bruins (16-8-1-2) have picked up where they left off and are tied for the Atlantic Division lead with 35 points.
The Crunch swing down to Charlotte to conclude their season series with the Checkers Friday and Saturday night. The defending Calder Cup champions are 10-11-3-0 and sit in seventh place in the Atlantic Division with 23 points. The Checkers have scored a pair of wins over the Crunch with decisions of 7-3 and 5-1 at the War Memorial Arena.
WEEK 10 RESULTS
Wednesday, Dec. 4 | Game 22 vs. Charlotte | L, 5-1 Charlotte 2 2 1 - 5 Shots: 9-11-14-34 PP: 2/5 Syracuse 1 0 0 - 1 Shots: 8-6-4-18 PP: 0/3 1st Period-Colton 3 (Gaunce, Witkowski), 15:55. . . . Martin 3-4-1 (34 shots-29 saves). A-3,868
Friday, Dec. 6 | Game 23 vs. Laval | W, 5-2 Laval 0 2 0 - 2 Shots: 7-9-5-21 PP: 1/4 Syracuse 4 0 1 - 5 Shots: 11-6-12-29 PP: 1/5 1st Period-Smith 4 (Colton, Conacher), 0:19. Gaunce 2 (Martel, Abbandonato), 9:13. Katchouk 5 (Abbandonato, Stephens), 10:50. Conacher 7 (Mueller), 14:49. 3rd Period-Conacher 8 (Foote, Mueller), 3:50 (PP). . . . Wedgewood 7-4-1 (17 shots-15 saves); Martin ND (4 shots-4 saves). A-4,371
Saturday, Dec. 7 | Game 24 vs. Bridgeport | W, 5-2 Bridgeport 0 1 1 - 2 Shots: 9-14-8-31 PP: 0/4 Syracuse 2 1 2 - 5 Shots: 13-9-10-32 PP: 1/3 1st Period-Gaunce 3 (Volkov, Thomas), 1:44. Raddysh 4 (Volkov, Gaunce), 7:22. 2nd Period-Volkov 1 (Mueller, Thomas), 17:07 (SH). 3rd Period-Raddysh 5 (Foote, Conacher), 11:17 (PP). Mueller 8 (Raddysh, Volkov), 12:07. . . . Martin 4-4-0 (31 shots-29 saves). A-5,420
Category Average/Total AHL Rank (Prev) Power Play 18.8% (21-for-112) T-14th (T-13th) Penalty Kill 86.5% (90-for-104) T-4th (3rd) Goals For 3.25 GFA (78) 11th (10th) Goals Against 3.25 GAA (78) 21st (25th) Shots For 28.33 SF/G (680) 27th (24th) Shots Against 27.33 SA/G (656) 4th (2nd) Penalty Minutes 13.79 PIM/G (331) 9th (13th)
Leader Points 19 Barré-Boulet, Mueller Goals 10 Barré-Boulet, Martel Assists 15 Gaunce PIM 45 Masin Plus/Minus +10 Gaunce Wins 7 Wedgewood GAA 2.78 Martin Save % 0.894 Martin
Ticket packages and single game tickets for the 2019-20 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 10, 2019
- Admirals Post 56 Shots in 2-1 OT Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Fall to Rocket in Seven-Round Shootout, 3-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- Pucks and Paws Day Set for December 29 - San Jose Barracuda
- Iowa Wild Announces Signings - Iowa Wild
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Bears Weekly: Vanecek Shines, Bears Complete Perfect Week - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Paul Relishing Full-Time NHL Opportunity - Belleville Senators
- Colorado Completes Series of Transactions - Colorado Eagles
- Wolf Pack Return Shawn McBride to Norfolk - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Flames Recall Matthew Phillips - Stockton Heat
- Kelly Klima Returns to Rapid City - Tucson Roadrunners
- Weekly: Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Takes to the Road for Games against North Division - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Cory Conacher to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Detroit Assigns Madison Bowey to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Derek Carr Youth Jersey Giveaway Highlights Condors Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- San Diego Gulls to Participate in 25th Annual Shop with a Jock Tonight - San Diego Gulls
- Moose Announce Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Griffins Start Six-Game Road Trip in California - Grand Rapids Griffins
- 2020 Home Schedule to Feature North Division Rivalries - Belleville Senators
- Jets Assign Mason Appleton to Manitoba - Manitoba Moose
- Dallas Stars Appoint Neil Graham as Texas Stars Head Coach - Texas Stars
- Amerks Weekly - Rochester Americans
- Game 24 Preview: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Syracuse Crunch Announce 2020-21 Regular Season Schedule
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Training Camp Schedule and Exhibition Game
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Training Camp Roster
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Four from Orlando Solar Bears
- Tampa Bay Lightning Assign Forward Boo Nieves to Syracuse Crunch