Mavs Denied in Newfoundland, Fall 4-1 to Growlers
ST. JOHN'S, N.F. - The Kansas City Mavericks were defeated 4-1 by the Newfoundland Growlers at Mile One Centre Tuesday night. Bryan Lemos scored his 10th goal of the season, but it was the only goal the Mavericks would get on the evening as the Growlers outpaced the Mavs for most of the game. The Mavs and Growlers will wrap up their two-game set Wednesday night in St. John's. Faceoff will be 4:30 p.m. central time.
-Newfoundland opened the scoring at 9:07 of the first period on a goal by Giorgio Estephan. Aaron Luchuk assisted on the goal.
-The Growlers doubled their lead with an unassisted goal from Matt Bradley at 16:54 of the opening frame.
-The Growlers outshot the Mavericks, 16-6 in the period.
-Mavericks rookie forward Bryan Lemos (10) carved the Growlers' lead in half with a power play goal at the 6:42 mark of the second period. Darian Dziurzynski and Terrance Amorosa assisted on the goal.
-The Mavericks held Newfoundland to just four shots in the period.
-Marcus Power gave the Growlers a 3-1 lead 4:02 into the third period. Garrett Johnston and James Melindy assisted on the goal.
-The Growlers added an empty net goal by Johnston with 52 seconds left in regulation. Melindy and Brady Ferguson assisted on the goal.
Notes & Streaks
-Lemos now has six points in his last four games on three goals and three assists.
-The Mavericks finished the night one-for-four on the power play and five-for-five on the penalty kill.
-Mavs goaltender Tyler Parsons made 29 saves on 32 shots.
The Mavericks and Growlers now wrap up their two-game set Wednesday night at Mile One Centre. Faceoff for Wednesday's game will be 4:30 p.m. locally. The Mavs return home after their season-long road trip Saturday night at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena
Download the new Kansas City Mavericks mobile app in the App Store or Google Play. Access your mobile tickets, view stats, listen to broadcasts and view exclusive content by downloading the app today.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 14, 2020
- Howdeshell and Smereck Return from Tucson - Rapid City Rush
- Mariners Use Power Play to Rally Past Railers - Maine Mariners
- Railers Robbed up in Maine in 3-2 Loss - Worcester Railers HC
- Mavs Denied in Newfoundland, Fall 4-1 to Growlers - Kansas City Mavericks
- Growlers Earn Fifteenth Straight Win at Mile One Centre - Newfoundland Growlers
- Steelheads Announce Multiple Transactions with Trade, Assignment & Signing - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Acquire Taylor Cammarata - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - January 14 - ECHL
- Mariners Acquire Bleackley from Idaho in Three Team Deal - Maine Mariners
- Derek Sheppard Assigned to 'Blades from AHL's Checkers - Florida Everblades
- Cederholm Returns from AHL Manitoba; Shaw Recalled - Jacksonville IceMen
- Wolf Pack Assign Jeff Taylor to Maine - Maine Mariners
- Mercier Named Inglasco ECHL Player of the Week - Jacksonville IceMen
- Wells Returns; Desharnais Recalled to Bako - Wichita Thunder
- Jacksonville's Mercier Named Inglasco/ECHL Player of the Week - ECHL
- Penguins Reassign Larmi to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- Walleye Weekly and Specialty Jersey Announced - Toledo Walleye
- Gillam Wins Second Goalie of the Week Honors - Wichita Thunder
- Spider-Man Slings in for Steelheads Marvel Super Hero Night Saturday - Idaho Steelheads
- Wichita's Gillam Named Warrior Hockey/ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Grizzlies Preview: Utah at Allen, January 14th, 2020 - Utah Grizzlies
- Royals Sign F Felix Chamberland - Reading Royals
- Growlers Pregame Notes: January 14 vs. Kansas City Mavericks - Newfoundland Growlers
- Lewis & McGauley Each Score 5 Points in 6-1 Win - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Zach Osburn Re-Ups for Second Season with the Mavericks
- Mavericks Sign Former Sabres Draft Pick Giorgio Estephan
- Mavericks Ink Defenseman Willie Corrin
- Rookie Defenseman Noah Delmas Joins Mavericks
- Back-To-Back Usport Goalie of the Year Taran Kozun Joins KC