Martin, Osuna Homers Lift Indians Past Hens
INDIANAPOLIS - Jose Osuna opened the home half of the sixth inning with an opposite-field home run and later prevented the tying run from scoring with a diving stop at third base as the Indians rallied and held off the Mud Hens 4-3 Wednesday afternoon. Jason Martin also hit a two-run homer in the win.
The Indians (71-64) overcame 1-0 and 3-1 deficits thanks to the long ball. Osuna's tiebreaking blast came on the first pitch from Warwick Saupold in the sixth, his ninth dinger of the season and fourth in August.
Toledo (69-65) had the lead two batters into the contest behind a Daz Cameron single and Christin Stewart double, but Wyatt Mathisen leveled the score with a sacrifice fly in the second, scoring Osuna who had walked to begin the frame.
Tyler Eppler stranded two baserunners in the third and fourth to keep the score at 1-1, but the Mud Hens' No. 1-2 punch got to the right-hander once more in the fifth. Cameron tripled on Eppler's first pitch of that inning and was along for the ride on Stewart's 22nd homer of the season that made it 3-1.
Martin's fourth Triple-A long ball came in the bottom half. Eric Wood scorched a single through the right side of the infield before Martin's one-out shot carried onto the right-field berm.
Tanner Anderson (W, 3-2) tossed 3.0 shutout innings in relief of Eppler, who gave up three runs in 5.0 innings of work. Anderson stranded the potential tying runs in scoring position in both the seventh and eighth, the latter inning highlighted by Osuna's web gem at the hot corner to leave Pete Kozma at second base.
Buddy Boshers (S, 1) pitched around a two-out triple by Jason Krizan in the ninth for the save.
Osuna, Kevin Kramer and Wood had two hits apiece. Kramer leads the club with 45 multi-hit games and has two-hit performances in six of his last seven affairs.
The Indians and Mud Hens wrap up their three-game set on Thursday night at 7:05 p.m. EDT. Right-hander Alex McRae (3-10, 4.78) will face Toledo righty Jacob Turner (3-4, 3.54).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 29, 2018
- Wiel Paces Red Wings' Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Clippers Clinch Series and Extend Lead in IL West - Columbus Clippers
- Bats Fall to Clippers, 7-1 - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Clinch I.L. South Division Behind Meadows' Three Homers - Durham Bulls
- Knights Drop Wednesday's Game to Bulls 9-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Devers Doubles in Pawtucket's 5-3 Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Red Wings to Treat Wednesday's Tickets as Rain Checks - Rochester Red Wings
- King Keeps RailRiders Close, Setting up Walk-off Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Chiefs Fall to RailRiders, 2-1, Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Martin, Osuna Homers Lift Indians Past Hens - Indianapolis Indians
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Stewart's Big Day Not Enough for Hens - Toledo Mud Hens
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 29 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Announce Three-Year Extension with 730 the Game ESPN Charlotte - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Host Final Four Games of 2018 Regular Season - Durham Bulls
- Tribe Set Franchise Record for Charitable Jersey Auctions - Indianapolis Indians
- First-Ever Farm-To-Field Set for September 14 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-64) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (69-64) - Indianapolis Indians
- Hernan Iribarren Moves into 3rd Place on Louisville's All-Time Hits List - Louisville Bats
- Food Lion Fall Fan Fest at Harbor Park 10 AM to 2 PM Saturday - Norfolk Tides
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.