Bulls Clinch I.L. South Division Behind Meadows' Three Homers
CHARLOTTE, NC - The Durham Bulls claimed their second straight International League South Division title with a 9-4 win over the Charlotte Knights Wednesday at BB&T Ballpark, as Austin Meadows crushed three homers in the victory.
The Bulls (75-58) earned the team's 14th division title in 21 seasons since joining the I.L. in 1998, and the franchise's ninth crown in the last 12 seasons. With the victory Durham will face the West Division champion in the First Round of the Governors' Cup playoffs beginning September 5.
Meadows starred in the victory, becoming the first Bulls player since 2015 to tally three homers in one game. The outfielder blasted a solo shot in the first, a two-run homer in the fifth, and solo blast in the seventh. Acquired in the trade deadline deal with the Pittsburgh Pirates in exchange for Chris Archer, Meadows finished the night 4-for-4 with five RBI.
Other than Meadows, Adam Moore hit a two-run homer in a three-run third inning and finished 3-for-4 with two RBI.
On the mound, Ryan Weber (9-6) picked up the victory by tossing 6.2 innings and allowing two runs on six hits. Jordan Stephens (3-6) suffered the loss for the home side, allowing six runs on six hits in 4.2 frames.
Single-game playoff tickets are on sale now, and can be purchased.
The Bulls and Knights wrap their three-game set Thursday at 7:05 p.m. at BB&T Ballpark. RHP Austin Pruitt (3-0, 2.60) is scheduled to take the mound for Durham opposite RHP Asher Wojciechowski (5-9, 4.53) for Charlotte.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 29, 2018
- Wiel Paces Red Wings' Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Clippers Clinch Series and Extend Lead in IL West - Columbus Clippers
- Bats Fall to Clippers, 7-1 - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Clinch I.L. South Division Behind Meadows' Three Homers - Durham Bulls
- Knights Drop Wednesday's Game to Bulls 9-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Devers Doubles in Pawtucket's 5-3 Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Red Wings to Treat Wednesday's Tickets as Rain Checks - Rochester Red Wings
- King Keeps RailRiders Close, Setting up Walk-off Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Chiefs Fall to RailRiders, 2-1, Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Martin, Osuna Homers Lift Indians Past Hens - Indianapolis Indians
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Stewart's Big Day Not Enough for Hens - Toledo Mud Hens
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 29 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Announce Three-Year Extension with 730 the Game ESPN Charlotte - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Host Final Four Games of 2018 Regular Season - Durham Bulls
- Tribe Set Franchise Record for Charitable Jersey Auctions - Indianapolis Indians
- First-Ever Farm-To-Field Set for September 14 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-64) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (69-64) - Indianapolis Indians
- Hernan Iribarren Moves into 3rd Place on Louisville's All-Time Hits List - Louisville Bats
- Food Lion Fall Fan Fest at Harbor Park 10 AM to 2 PM Saturday - Norfolk Tides
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.