King Keeps RailRiders Close, Setting up Walk-off Win
MOOSIC, PA. (Aug. 29, 2018) - Led by a sterling outing from starting pitcher Mike King, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders defeated the Syracuse Chiefs in walk-off fashion 2-1 on Wednesday night at PNC Field.
After intentionally walking Abiatal Avelino to load the bases with nobody out in the bottom of the ninth, Carlos Torres walked Ryan McBroom to chase home Gio Urshela with the winning run. The walk-off was the ninth of such victory of the 2018 season for the RailRiders.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre got on the board in the bottom of the second when they struck for a run against Kyle McGowin. Avelino singled to right, and McBroom followed with a base-hit to left. Zack Zehner blooped a single into shallow right and Avelino raced around to score and give the RailRiders a 1-0 lead.
Mike King was superb on the mound for the RailRiders on Wednesday, turning in six perfect innings. In addition to retiring all 18 batters he faced, the right-hander struck out six and threw a first-pitch strike to 15 Syracuse batsmen.
In the top of the seventh, Luis Cessa replaced King and allowed a double to Victor Robles on his first pitch to break up the perfect game. Two batters later Jose Marmolejos singled to plate Robles and tie the game at 1-1.
Chance Adams (4-5) replaced Cessa in the eighth and held the score to set the stage for the fateful ninth inning. Torres walked Urshela to lead off the frame and Mike Ford singled to put runners at first and third. Avelino was intentionally walked to load the bases with no outs, and on a full count, McBroom drew the decisive free pass.
The win moved the RailRiders into sole possession of second place in the International League Wild Card race, 1.0 games behind the Indianapolis Indians with five games remaining in the season.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre continues its series with Syracuse on Thursday night at PNC Field. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. The RailRiders send LHP Ryan Bollinger (0-1, 4.00), while the Chiefs counter with MLB rehabbing RHP Erick Fedde (3-3, 4.70). For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-2255 or slide towww.swbrailriders.com.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 29, 2018
- Wiel Paces Red Wings' Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Clippers Clinch Series and Extend Lead in IL West - Columbus Clippers
- Bats Fall to Clippers, 7-1 - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Clinch I.L. South Division Behind Meadows' Three Homers - Durham Bulls
- Knights Drop Wednesday's Game to Bulls 9-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Devers Doubles in Pawtucket's 5-3 Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Red Wings to Treat Wednesday's Tickets as Rain Checks - Rochester Red Wings
- King Keeps RailRiders Close, Setting up Walk-off Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Chiefs Fall to RailRiders, 2-1, Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Martin, Osuna Homers Lift Indians Past Hens - Indianapolis Indians
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Stewart's Big Day Not Enough for Hens - Toledo Mud Hens
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 29 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Announce Three-Year Extension with 730 the Game ESPN Charlotte - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Host Final Four Games of 2018 Regular Season - Durham Bulls
- Tribe Set Franchise Record for Charitable Jersey Auctions - Indianapolis Indians
- First-Ever Farm-To-Field Set for September 14 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-64) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (69-64) - Indianapolis Indians
- Hernan Iribarren Moves into 3rd Place on Louisville's All-Time Hits List - Louisville Bats
- Food Lion Fall Fan Fest at Harbor Park 10 AM to 2 PM Saturday - Norfolk Tides
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- SWB Game Notes
- RailRiders Postponed
- SWB Game Notes
- RailRiders Go to Extras, Win Again
- RailRiders secure four-game series sweep against Bisons