Knights Drop Wednesday's Game to Bulls 9-4
(UPTOWN CHARLOTTE, NC) -- Right fielder Ryan Cordell launched a solo home run, but the Charlotte Knights dropped game two of their three-game series against the Durham Bulls by a score of 9-4 from BB&T Ballpark in Uptown Charlotte on Wednesday. BB&T Ballpark welcomed a sell-out crowd of 10,539 fans -- the ballpark's 22nd sell-out of the 2018 season.
Offensively for the Knights, Cordell led the way with his third home run of the season. His solo shot in the third inning came off Durham RHP Ryan Weber (9-6, 2.73), who earned the win. Additionally, shortstop Bryant Flete and second baseman Eddy Alvarez had two hits apiece on the evening. Flete has appeared in five games this season with the Knights and is now hitting .438.
RHP Jordan Stephens (3-7, 4.90) started for the Knights and was saddled with the loss. Stephens allowed six runs on six hits over 4.2 innings pitched.
Durham outfielder Austin Meadows hit three home runs in the game to lead their offense. Designated hitter Andrew Moore also homered for the Bulls, who clinched the International League South Division with the win.
The Knights will conclude their three-game series against the Durham Bulls (Triple-A affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays) on Thursday night. Gates will open at 6:00 p.m. for the final home game of the 2018 season. Thursday's game will feature the final Thirsty Thursday game of the season with $1 sodas, $3 domestic drafts, and $5 craft drafts. Pre-game radio coverage will begin at 6:50 p.m. on 730 The Game ESPN Charlotte. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad and long-time broadcaster Mike Pacheco will have the call for all of the action. After the game, the Knights will light-up the Uptown Charlotte skyline with post-game fireworks presented by BB&T and News Talk 1110 WBT.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 29, 2018
- Wiel Paces Red Wings' Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Clippers Clinch Series and Extend Lead in IL West - Columbus Clippers
- Bats Fall to Clippers, 7-1 - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Clinch I.L. South Division Behind Meadows' Three Homers - Durham Bulls
- Knights Drop Wednesday's Game to Bulls 9-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Devers Doubles in Pawtucket's 5-3 Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Red Wings to Treat Wednesday's Tickets as Rain Checks - Rochester Red Wings
- King Keeps RailRiders Close, Setting up Walk-off Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Chiefs Fall to RailRiders, 2-1, Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Martin, Osuna Homers Lift Indians Past Hens - Indianapolis Indians
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Stewart's Big Day Not Enough for Hens - Toledo Mud Hens
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 29 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Announce Three-Year Extension with 730 the Game ESPN Charlotte - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Host Final Four Games of 2018 Regular Season - Durham Bulls
- Tribe Set Franchise Record for Charitable Jersey Auctions - Indianapolis Indians
- First-Ever Farm-To-Field Set for September 14 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-64) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (69-64) - Indianapolis Indians
- Hernan Iribarren Moves into 3rd Place on Louisville's All-Time Hits List - Louisville Bats
- Food Lion Fall Fan Fest at Harbor Park 10 AM to 2 PM Saturday - Norfolk Tides
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- Seven-Run First Pushes Knights Past Toledo 9-6
- Knights Walk off with Thrilling 11-9 Win in 10 Innings Tuesday
- Borchard to be Inducted into Charlotte Baseball Round Table of Honor on May 17th
- Knights Blast Past Tides 14-3 in Finale
- Knights Split Doubleheader with Tides on Saturday