Chiefs Fall to RailRiders, 2-1, Wednesday Night
Moosic, PA - The Syracuse Chiefs came back to tie the game against the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders in the seventh inning, but the RailRiders scored a run in the bottom of the ninth for a 2-1 walk-off win against the Chiefs on Wednesday night at PNC Field. José Marmolejos had two hits and an RBI for Syracuse in the game.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre (69-64) won the game in the bottom of the ninth inning. With the game tied, 1-1, Syracuse relief pitcher Carlos Torres came into the game. Giovanny Urshela worked a walk to begin the frame. Mike Ford followed with a single to right field that moved Urshela up to third base. The Chiefs proceeded to intentionally walk Abiatal Avelino to load the bases and set up a force out at every base. Ryan McBroom then worked a full count and took the next pitch that just missed the strike zone, resulting in a bases-loaded walk that brought home Urshela to give Scranton/Wilkes-Barre a 2-1 win.
The RailRiders scored first in the game in the bottom of the second inning against Syracuse starting pitcher Kyle McGowin. With one out, Avelino singled. McBroom followed with a single, placing runners at first and second base. Zack Zehner then blooped a ball into right field for a single that scored Avelino for a 1-0 Scranton/Wilkes-Barre lead.
Syracuse (60-75) tied the game in the bottom of the seventh against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre reliever Luis Cessa. RailRiders starter Michael King was perfect through six innings, but Scranton/Wilkes-Barre brought in Cessa, who is on the Yankees' 40-man roster and has appeared in ten MLB games with the Yankees this season. Against Cessa, Victor Robles led off the seventh with a double down the left-field line. Robles moved to third base on a Jacob Wilson groundout to second base. Marmolejos followed with a hard-hit single into right field that brought home Robles, knotting the game up, 1-1.
Kyle McGowin was once again magnificent on the mound for the Chiefs. The 26-year-old pitched seven innings with six strikeouts, no walks, and six hits allowed. McGowin retired the last seven batters he faced and 15 of the last 18. The right-hander now has a 1.32 ERA through his seven starts with Syracuse this season.
The Chiefs and the RailRiders conclude their three-game series on Thursday night. RHP Erick Fedde is scheduled to pitch for Syracuse in his second Major League rehab start with the Chiefs. First pitch is set for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 29, 2018
- Wiel Paces Red Wings' Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Clippers Clinch Series and Extend Lead in IL West - Columbus Clippers
- Bats Fall to Clippers, 7-1 - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Clinch I.L. South Division Behind Meadows' Three Homers - Durham Bulls
- Knights Drop Wednesday's Game to Bulls 9-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Devers Doubles in Pawtucket's 5-3 Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Red Wings to Treat Wednesday's Tickets as Rain Checks - Rochester Red Wings
- King Keeps RailRiders Close, Setting up Walk-off Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Chiefs Fall to RailRiders, 2-1, Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Martin, Osuna Homers Lift Indians Past Hens - Indianapolis Indians
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Stewart's Big Day Not Enough for Hens - Toledo Mud Hens
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 29 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Announce Three-Year Extension with 730 the Game ESPN Charlotte - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Host Final Four Games of 2018 Regular Season - Durham Bulls
- Tribe Set Franchise Record for Charitable Jersey Auctions - Indianapolis Indians
- First-Ever Farm-To-Field Set for September 14 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-64) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (69-64) - Indianapolis Indians
- Hernan Iribarren Moves into 3rd Place on Louisville's All-Time Hits List - Louisville Bats
- Food Lion Fall Fan Fest at Harbor Park 10 AM to 2 PM Saturday - Norfolk Tides
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Mets Comeback Not Enough in 5-4 Loss to Red Wings
- Pitching Dominates as Mets and Red Wings Split Doubleheader on Tuesday
- Mets and Red Wings Series Opener Postponed on Monday
- Mets Conclude Series with 5-4 Loss to Red Sox
- Taijeron Homers Twice, But Syracuse Falls to Pawtucket, 7-2