Stewart's Big Day Not Enough for Hens
TOLEDO, Ohio - The Toledo Mud Hens dropped game two of the road trip to the Indianapolis Indians by a score of 4-3.
It took only two batters for the Mud Hens to strike. Daz Cameron opened the game up with a single, then Christin Stewart doubled off of Indians starter, Tyler Eppler, to bring Cameron around to score.
Toledo starter Warwick Saupold allowed a run in the second inning when Wyatt Mathisen hit a sacrifice fly to score Jose Osuna. The game would remain tied until the fifth inning.
Cameron and Stewart would team up again to give the Mud Hens the lead. A triple started the inning well, and Stewart's two-run homer put Toledo up by two. That brings the young outfielder to 22 homers on the year. It plated his third RBI on the day.
Once again, the lead would not last long. In the bottom of the fifth inning, Eric Wood signled to start the Indians half. A couple batters later, Jason Martin tied the game with a two-run shot of his own.
An inning later, Osuna would give the Indians a lead with a solo homer. Ryan Lavarnway doubled, Mathisen was hit by pitch, and Wood singled to keep Indianapolis threatening. However, Jackson Williams grounded into a double play to get Saupold out of the jam.
The Hens showed immediate fight, getting Stewart to third with one out following a single from Jason Krizan. Indians reliever Tanner Anderson struck out Mike Gerber, the got Edwin Espinal to ground out to second.
Buddy Boshers entered the game for the Indians in the ninth to try to preserve the win. He set down Stewart and Dawel Lugo without issue. Jason Krizan kept the game alive with a two out triple. Chad Huffman came in to pinch hit, but grounded out to end the game.
The Mud Hens continue their seven-game road trip tomorrow afternoon at Indianapolis. First pitch of the series finale from Victory Field is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
#RoadToDetroit Report (rankings according to MLB.com 2018 Prospect Watch):
6. OF Christin Stewart: 2-for-4, double, homerun, 3 RBI, run, walk
8. OF Daz Cameron: 2-for-5, single, triple, 2 runs
9. RHP Kyle Funkhouser: DNP (DL)
14. IF Dawel Lugo: 1-for-5, single
16. OF Jacob Robson: 0-for-1
20. RHP Bryan Garcia: DNP (DL)
21. LHP Matt Hall: DNP
22. LHP Tyler Alexander: DNP
26. OF Mike Gerber: 0-for-4, two strikeouts
- The International League on Tuesday announced Christin Stewart has been selected to the 2018 IL Postseason All-Star Team.
- Today marks Stewart's eighth three RBI game this season.
- The Mud Hens are now 9-14 against the Indianapolis Indians in 2018, and 33-31 against IL West opponents.
- Blaine Hardy made his second rehab appearance for Toledo in today's game against Indianapolis. Hardy entered the game in the seventh and struck out the side in order.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 29, 2018
- Wiel Paces Red Wings' Win - Rochester Red Wings
- Clippers Clinch Series and Extend Lead in IL West - Columbus Clippers
- Bats Fall to Clippers, 7-1 - Louisville Bats
- Bulls Clinch I.L. South Division Behind Meadows' Three Homers - Durham Bulls
- Knights Drop Wednesday's Game to Bulls 9-4 - Charlotte Knights
- Devers Doubles in Pawtucket's 5-3 Victory - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Red Wings to Treat Wednesday's Tickets as Rain Checks - Rochester Red Wings
- King Keeps RailRiders Close, Setting up Walk-off Win - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Chiefs Fall to RailRiders, 2-1, Wednesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Martin, Osuna Homers Lift Indians Past Hens - Indianapolis Indians
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Wednesday, August 29, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Stewart's Big Day Not Enough for Hens - Toledo Mud Hens
- Louisville Bats Notes: August 29 - Louisville Bats
- Knights Announce Three-Year Extension with 730 the Game ESPN Charlotte - Charlotte Knights
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- LHV Game Notes - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Bulls Host Final Four Games of 2018 Regular Season - Durham Bulls
- Tribe Set Franchise Record for Charitable Jersey Auctions - Indianapolis Indians
- First-Ever Farm-To-Field Set for September 14 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (70-64) vs. Toledo Mud Hens (69-64) - Indianapolis Indians
- Hernan Iribarren Moves into 3rd Place on Louisville's All-Time Hits List - Louisville Bats
- Food Lion Fall Fan Fest at Harbor Park 10 AM to 2 PM Saturday - Norfolk Tides
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.